Leader sinkant Ireland

Spider

Any of the irish guys know where I can get Fulling Mill tippet sinkant/degreaser or similar in Ireland? I don't want to pay UK postage and have delay from across the water etc.

Tangled

Assuming no quick answer

Recipe for home made line degreaser
1. Fullers earth (eBay) or use ground up cat litter (unused!)
2. Washing up detergent (unsented if possible)
3. Glycerine (chemist or eBay)
Mix roughly equal amounts of glycerine and detergent into a a handful of fullers earth until it's a stiff paste. Stick it into a container of your choice - old fashioned film cases were popular, I use a small vaseline lip gloss tin.)

mackiia1

Any of the irish guys know where I can get Fulling Mill tippet sinkant/degreaser or similar in Ireland? I don't want to pay UK postage and have delay from across the water etc.
Hi John - I looked everywhere - lots of places 'out of stock '.
I did find this - never used it myself but should be ok.

just found these:

Last edited:

Paul_B

Fullers earth can be cheaper if you look for Calcium Bentonite powder, then some cheap unscented washing up liquid and glycerine to stop it drying as quick.

I've just done a quick search and Calcium Bentonite is about £6 1kg on ebay, a P sample bottle is perfect for keeping it in.

shortcircuit

A bought a 500g pack of Fuller's Earth on Amazon a few years ago and I think I got glycerine in Home Store & More, of all places

The mix of fuller's earth, glycerine and a bit of washing up liquid makes a brilliant leader degreaser / sinker. Especially handy on smooth water when even 7X looks like baling twine

wjg

I buy bentonite from the wine makers store in a small bag or foil pouch. Inexpensive and just enough for one batch. I keep it in a 35mm film container in my vest pocket. No large tub to store or cat to feed. Bentonite, a little liquid soap and water to the consistency you want. I don't use glycerine and have no problems with the mud drying out. One could add more water and soap if it did dry?

Spider

Hi lads, thank a mill for the replies.

Ian, I got two tubs from Serious fishing, Fulling Mill.

One tub was 6.99 postage!

Two tubs plus postage , nearly 17€

rabmax

I have alway's made mine from fuller's earth ' glycerine & fairy.But recently i got some posted with an order from fishon.Don't think i ordered it maybe a freebie.It's much better than my stuff.It's really sticky & really sticks to your tippet.Mybe they use more glycerine in the mix.

GEK79

Mate I may have a tub of dick walkers ledasink in the shed if that's any use..

Spider

Mack, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the postage so thought I might aswell get 2 tubs!

Rhithrogena

I haven't used that brand, is it good?
I have tried most proprietary brands and homemade and they all work, sometimes.

Sometimes nothing works, at times the meniscus ain't allowing the leader through, nuh-uh, no-way, even with fluoro. I also think any line grease works it's way down onto the leader and will float even thick fluoro for ever. Especially line slick with silicone in it. I think Gink does the same thing when it leaches onto thw tippet, especially dries on droppers where it can get onto the adjacent line. I have caught plenty of fish on dries with floating leaders when I cannot get the ruddy stuff to sink, mind.

For those flat calm evening rises on my local lake I have just ordered some tungsten rig putty and will stick a tiny blob or two in strategic places after seeing it suggested on here.
Fingers crossed this may actually work🤞

diawl bach

Is the Xink liquid stuff any use? Like RG my flouro rarely sinks when I want it to, adding Leedasink seems to magnify the width of the tippet somehow, a liquid may be the answer.

Scotty Mitchell

I haven't used that brand, is it good?
I have tried most proprietary brands and homemade and they all work, sometimes.

Sometimes nothing works, at times the meniscus ain't allowing the leader through, nuh-uh, no-way, even with fluoro. I also think any line grease works it's way down onto the leader and will float even thick fluoro for ever. Especially line slick with silicone in it. I think Gink does the same thing when it leaches onto thw tippet, especially dries on droppers where it can get onto the adjacent line. I have caught plenty of fish on dries with floating leaders when I cannot get the ruddy stuff to sink, mind.

For those flat calm evening rises on my local lake I have just ordered some tungsten rig putty and will stick a tiny blob or two in strategic places after seeing it suggested on here.
Fingers crossed this may actually work🤞
I would say if any floatant is leeching from your fly to your leader, you have used way too much. I call the amount actually required “Essence” of, especially Gink.
Similarly, if you clean then slick your fly lines, any residue of slick should be removed, but again, the amount required shouldn’t be enough to make its way to the leader.

Rhithrogena

I would say if any floatant is leeching from your fly to your leader, you have used way too much. I call the amount actually required “Essence” of, especially Gink.
Similarly, if you clean then slick your fly lines, any residue of slick should be removed, but again, the amount required shouldn’t be enough to make its way to the leader.
Even tiny amounts of silicone will leach from the line dressing and fly floatant onto the leader. Even if applied really sparingly, as you correctly recommend. All these products are water soluble to an extent and WILL leach and get onto the leader eventually. Even if you polish off any line dressing, the build up of silicone can continue leaching for a long time. Silicone Mucilin is one of the best line floatants, and one of the worst offenders in this regard.
I am far from alone in understanding this, it is a long-established belief.
I am certain that this is what is happening when freshly made up leaders that had been sinking suddenly start floating and resist further attempts to degrease them. I am aware that natural lipids from algae and plant breakdown accumulate at the water surface and can coat the leader too, especially in calm conditions. These accumulations do respond to detergent sinking agents.

Spider

One negative of fishing silk I'd that the tippet often touches off the flt line, as is normal, but with silk being greased up, can result in tippet grease too which most of us don't like. So I seem to be using the Fullers Earth a lot. But that's a small price to pay for the benefits of silk IMO.

Latest posts