Leader storage

Rhithrogena

I am using a 2nd hand wf Orvis superline that I use all the time I have never had to cut any thing off it , I have had it about 7 or 8 years, I have a Barrio as a back up, it's a slow intermediate, I keep it going with Plastisizer, easker1
Aah, my memory is letting me down, I guess I mostly could change the cast by cutting the loop off, but sometimes the nylon had dug in and needed the fly-line cutting.
Incidentally, do you miss level fly lines? Great for wet fly work, but hard to buy them in the uk; although still popular in the US, I believe...

Rhithrogena

just remembered I have a couple of Wheatly cast holders white with rotating centres , I find these a bit on the thin side, easker1
You mean like the 'Hills Cast Carrier' (Made in Scotland)?
IMG_20210406_220633760_HDR-01.jpeg
IMG_20210406_220712455_HDR-01.jpeg

easker1

I had a couple Made by Leeda I thinkI have one I converted to a sink tip using the Sheila Hassam line repair Kit when they sold them, usefull bit of Kit but they stopped them because of Glue Sniffineasker1

easker1

I remember my grandad had one of those, it came with a tub of nose grease, a selection of bankside mud and a docken leaf...😀
was it in his gardening Kit,? never a docken leaf when you need one, be careful where you put your nose, you wouldn't want to contaminate the wax, easker1

bbamboo

You can make a decent rig winder from foam pipe lagging. Wrap multiple rigs around and fix the end with a pin. All stores away in a short section of plastic rod tube and two end caps.

Cap'n Fishy

You can make a decent rig winder from foam pipe lagging. Wrap multiple rigs around and fix the end with a pin. All stores away in a short section of plastic rod tube and two end caps.

That's what I use for my pike deadbait rigs. (y)

Col

Capeldrae

Arrived today, time to get some casts tied. Your stories of past times were very interesting. M any thanks to all who took the time to reply and to captain fishy for the link.

Attachments

• C442951C-DC00-4E7B-AFF8-5A7C300EA6C1.jpeg
    C442951C-DC00-4E7B-AFF8-5A7C300EA6C1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 471035E6-8D37-4BC6-B124-D27AC0FB2C1C.jpeg
    471035E6-8D37-4BC6-B124-D27AC0FB2C1C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

easker1

Jimmys post about nose wax reminded me that Nose wax was used by the old timers to grease the brass ferrules on the older rods , not to float the lines , easker1

easker1

If it ain't broke don't fix it, I wait for problems to come to me,usually not my problems,if these "problems were impairing my judgement the I would fix them, in my experience if you go looking for problems you will find them whether you wanted to or not, I'm all for a simple life, I have been using those cast holders since the days of Sheila Hassam , I can't see any reason to ditch them now, it would mean having the holders and dumping them,I am happy with what I've got I don't notice the "Kinks" they disappear after couple of casts or I can use my bit of inner tube, I carry a bit any way for straightening casts, I don't think my methods have given so much pleasure to so many people, pleased I can help, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

If it ain't broke don't fix it, I wait for problems to come to me,usually not my problems,if these "problems were impairing my judgement the I would fix them, in my experience if you go looking for problems you will find them whether you wanted to or not, I'm all for a simple life, I have been using those cast holders since the days of Sheila Hassam , I can't see any reason to ditch them now, it would mean having the holders and dumping them,I am happy with what I've got I don't notice the "Kinks" they disappear after couple of casts or I can use my bit of inner tube, I carry a bit any way for straightening casts, I don't think my methods have given so much pleasure to so many people, pleased I can help, easker1

Like I said, the kinks were a noticeable problem when using fluoro. So, I ditched the beermat/Masterline carriers in the 1990s. That was when I realised what a faff it is winding the things onto them, compared to the rig winders. When I look back at them now, I really do think what a crappy system it is. Sorry about that. 😜

But I'm not trying to persuade you to change now. I just thought it was confusing the issue when the OP was clearly looking for a set of rig-winders. 😜

Carry on. (y)

Col

easker1

as I don't use fluoro, it doesn,t seem to be such a problem for me, mono seems to suit my fishing better, I like the larger Diameter of the holder, I have converted the plastic Pizza bottoms to hold my fly lines when I'm not using them, like large cast holders, rather than leave them on the reel, especially smaller reels, easker1

Latest posts