Leader storage

Cap'n Fishy

as I don't use fluoro, it doesn,t seem to be such a problem for me...

Maybe the OP uses fluoro. Did you ask him? :unsure:

Anyhoo... it's still an outmoded system that went in my bin over 20 years ago... like VHS tapes. Or are you still using VHS tapes? 🤪 Maybe our new sponsors, Thomas Turner, would be interested in making me an offer for my collection of beer mats (if I can find them). What do you think?

Col

easker1

you don't seem to like personal preferences especially mine , should I be elsewhere where tolerance is the criterion, I told you before I'm a luddite, I fish in a way that suits me, not one that obviously doesn't suit you, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

you don't seem to like personal preferences especially mine , should I be elsewhere where tolerance is the criterion, I told you before I'm a luddite, I fish in a way that suits me, not one that obviously doesn't suit you, easker1

Don't take it all so personally - it's just a bit of banter... 🤪

I mean... if you are going to come on to actively 'big-up' an ancient, outmoded system, then really, honestly speaking... you have got to be prepared for people to say: "That's an ancient, outmoded system!" No?

Last edited:

easker1

I am not trying to big up any thing it's just my preference and I mentioned it on a post about leader storage,you have to be prepared for me to say not for me , I have my own preferences as do you and I respect that, perhaps you should respect my preferences,who knows in future I may find something you do or have then I will be able to criticise you , easker1

Cap'n Fishy

I am not trying to big up any thing it's just my preference and I mentioned it on a post about leader storage,you have to be prepared for me to say not for me , I have my own preferences as do you and I respect that, perhaps you should respect my preferences,who knows in future I may find something you do or have then I will be able to criticise you , easker1

Well, I mean - it's the OP's thread, after-all. He was clearly looking for rig-winders. He was not looking for beer mats. If you come on, promoting your been mat system (which you did!!! otherwise why even mention them???), then you are waving a red rag at a bull for folk who think, "FFS - why drag those blummin' awful things into proceedings here?"

The OP is not interested in them.

Just sayin' like...

Col

easker1

there was no promotion just a mention I wasn't waving a banner, I like them as they suit my way of enjoying my self, you may also notice I don't use braided loops, because I prefer a figure "8" knot, this is the main reason I use cast holders,with 3 fly casts on them, I did say I wasn't the only one to use them, I have friends who think the same way, a lot of people don't know there are other methods , you may say I am set in my ways and after almost 60 years of fishing you could be right, but I certainly would criticize any one for doing what they liked, so I will keep to my old style crappy way rather than dump what I already have, just saying like, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

there was no promotion just a mention I wasn't waving a banner, I like them as they suit my way of enjoying my self, you may also notice I don't use braided loops, because I prefer a figure "8" knot, this is the main reason I use cast holders,with 3 fly casts on them, I did say I wasn't the only one to use them, I have friends who think the same way, a lot of people don't know there are other methods , you may say I am set in my ways and after almost 60 years of fishing you could be right, but I certainly would criticize any one for doing what they liked, so I will keep to my old style crappy way rather than dump what I already have, just saying like, easker1

I'm not criticising you for using them at all. I'm criticising them for being rubbish, compared to rig-winders. Just sayin'... 😜

easker1

Aye like you confused Been with Beer, we all can make mistakes,we will agree to disagree ( again, I believe), easker1.

BobP

I put a 2mm tippet ring on my leaders at home and then like morayfisher wind a leader round my fingers & take the loop end around the coil half a dozen times. This keeps them tight and neat. I've got about 15 or 16 done up like this & kept in the slips that the original leaders came in. As morayfisher says, done carefully they unwind quite easily. Then it is just a matter of attaching a tippet and the appropriate fly. Total leader length is about 11'. These are for fishing on the chalkstreams where a single fly is the general rule.

For lakes & reservoirs I make up a leader on the bank. 18-20' of straight through leader material with one or two droppers according to time of year. Flies at 6' intervals.

Wee Jimmy

I put a 2mm tippet ring on my leaders at home and then like morayfisher wind a leader round my fingers & take the loop end around the coil half a dozen times. This keeps them tight and neat. I've got about 15 or 16 done up like this & kept in the slips that the original leaders came in. As morayfisher says, done carefully they unwind quite easily. Then it is just a matter of attaching a tippet and the appropriate fly. Total leader length is about 11'. These are for fishing on the chalkstreams where a single fly is the general rule.

For lakes & reservoirs I make up a leader on the bank. 18-20' of straight through leader material with one or two droppers according to time of year. Flies at 6' intervals.
What’s all this pish got to do with rig winders and why would you assume that anyone on here might be in the slightest bit interested in what you use as an alternative...??

Cap'n Fishy

Ah! the deviation of posts, what will we do?, easker1

I guess a lot of it is down to when you spot an OP ask a question, and you have 2 options:

1) I can see what he is asking and I can provide an answer that will be relevant to the question...

... or...

2) I can see what he is asking and I've got nothing. However, I can give him an answer to a different question that will allow me to indulge myself and tell everyone all about what I like to do.

And, really, let's be honest, No. 2 is the favourite of this forum. We should think about renaming it the: "Never mind about that, what about this?" forum.

Just sayin'... 😜

easker1

Oh! so it's an indulgence now, I thought a forum was for an exchange of Ideas, otherwise what's the point of them, If you feel I was being indulgent then I will bow out now, I don't mind rational discussions, I don't expect the OP to drop what he is looking for , if we forget that there are other methods then we lose the History of angling, you can say in the future I saw this guy whose methods were really so bad they were crappy, I, on the other hand, make a point of always being out of step, I don't like the Idea that I should always conform, it hasn't made my life easy but it has made it interesting, enjoy your Pringles , I never eat them and I like my cast holders not neccessarily
the beer mats, but the Masterline ones, Ideal for my 3 fly casts, easker1

Latest posts