Leader storage

Cap'n Fishy

Oh! so it's an indulgence now, I thought a forum was for an exchange of Ideas, otherwise what's the point of them, If you feel I was being indulgent then I will bow out now, I don't mind rational discussions, I don't expect the OP to drop what he is looking for , if we forget that there are other methods then we lose the History of angling, you can say in the future I saw this guy whose methods were really so bad they were crappy, I, on the other hand, make a point of always being out of step, I don't like the Idea that I should always conform, it hasn't made my life easy but it has made it interesting, enjoy your Pringles , I never eat them and I like my cast holders not neccessarily
the beer mats, but the Masterline ones, Ideal for my 3 fly casts, easker1

My reckoning is that it's down to the difference between when an OP is asking a straight question, looking for a straight answer, and when the OP is asking an open question, inviting 'blue sky' type 'brainstorming' answers. When it's the latter, then we can all let our minds roam free. When it's the former, answer if you can and if not, then don't answer a different question. 😜

bobfly2

On April 3rd the the original question was whether anyone used a 4cm diam foam disc system for leader storage ... as it seemed too small.
After a week, the consensus answer is clearly no.

Cap'n Fishy

On April 3rd the the original question was whether anyone used a 4cm diam foam disc system for leader storage ... as it seemed too small.
After a week, the consensus answer is clearly no.

Didn't take a week. It was all done and dusted by post #5, also 3rd April. Everything after that was superfluous.

Cap'n Fishy

arrogance is alive and well and is obvious on this forum easker1

I wish the Trout would rise as readily as you do Derek, just saying... 😜

The OP was clearly looking for rig-winders. By Post #5 he had them. Therefore everything after that is superfluous. That is not arrogance. It is the simple truth.

And hey - I'll be the first to hold their hand up and admit that I must have written thousands of posts over the years that were not relevant to the OP. I'm just pointing out the exact place on this thread that they passed from being relevant to being irrelevant.

If you want a thread along the lines of "Lets all tell each other what we use or don't use for leader storage, tippet storage, cast of 3 flies storage, or any other storage", then go ahead and start one... (y)

Last edited:

easker1

No Col I will leave that up to you ,cabin fever gets to the best of us, what's your excuse? easker1

easker1

so Col How many times would that be, as I have said ( only if you read the post) that I had 2 Beer mats, the rest of my kit is Black Masterline discs, you are slipping Col, not like you at all, normally so precise, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

so Col How many times would that be, as I have said ( only if you read the post) that I had 2 Beer mats, the rest of my kit is Black Masterline discs, you are slipping Col, not like you at all, normally so precise, easker1

Wake up! They're all the same thing. The Masterline ones are just plastic beer mats. 🤭

You forget, I used to use all these things, before I threw them in the bin... where they belong (if I did - I suspect they might still be hidden away somewhere, gathering dust). 😜

easker1

well well here's me just thinking they were sold to hold casts, never even considered they might have other uses, any way Col we have crossed swords before about the seatrout book you hadn't read, and no doubt you will find something to pick me up on again, I will be careful about what I comment on in future, you never know who might be watching, or waiting to criticize , easker1

Cap'n Fishy

well well here's me just thinking they were sold to hold casts, never even considered they might have other uses, any way Col we have crossed swords before about the seatrout book you hadn't read,...

Well, the plastic ones don't soak up beer the way the cardboard ones do, but I think of them all as 'beer mat' cast holders. 🤪

Which came first - beer mats with notches cut in them to hold a cast, or the Masterline plastic copies? I mind my dad's Uncle Alec was using beer mats in the 1960s when I first started fishing, so I'm guessing he was using them long before then. I don't think the Masterline ones were about back then, were they? I think the cream-coloured ones with the wee disk in the middle were about? But they're all variations on a 'beer mat' cast-holder! Why the need to differentiate between plastic ones and cardboard ones?

As for the sea trout, I thought you now realised that sea trout and brown trout are the same fish? :unsure:

You should give up the passive-aggressive approach - it doesn't work on me. 😜

bobfly2

Been around a while these things. Here are a few flees to gut and a card of a three fly cast to gut. 😎

Attachments

• 20210413_162531.jpg
    20210413_162531.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 20

Cap'n Fishy

Been around a while these things. Here are a few flees to gut and a card of a three fly cast to gut. 😎

Not so easy changing a fly back then! 🤪

My dad's Uncle Alec had all his flies on 3-fly casts. They were eyed flies, but the flies stayed on the cast, on the cast-holder, in a big tin. If the choice cast of three wasn't working, he took the whole cast off and carefully wound it back on the holder, which went back in the tin, and a different cast of three was brought out and attached to the fly line. All the casts were composed of carefully considered combinations of 3 flies that were bound to be deadly when fished in that particular team.

I would have fished that way myself in my early days.

easker1

an old guy who fished Loch Leven in the old days told me they used a 4fly cast He showed me one and it was all doubles, the only two I remember was the Dunkeld and a peter ross, I have enough to do to cast 3, singles at that, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

an old guy who fished Loch Leven in the old days told me they used a 4fly cast He showed me one and it was all doubles, the only two I remember was the Dunkeld and a peter ross, I have enough to do to cast 3, singles at that, easker1

Me and my pals all fished 4 flies up to the late 1980s. Often with a double on the tail - though I don't remember ever using more than one double. It was only due to fishing in the B&H competition, where 3 flies were the limit, that I weaned myself from 4 down to 3... and I've never used 4 since. But I still knew a few guys who carried on with 4 for many years. And today, a lot of the washing-liners fish 3 droppers with nymphs on, plus a booby or FAB on the tail.

Col

Latest posts