Leaders

marlinleg

Hello to one and all
Which Brand of tapered leaders do you recommend and use, there’s so many.
I have seen 9ft Tapered leaders from £2 to £9 At the moment I am using Rio 4X with matching Tippett
I fish exclusively on my clubs 2 reservoirs and it’s not over fished and the Browns and Rainbows are not shy
Thank you

Andrew Rourke

Leeda Profil are what I have used for many years. I have tried many but always revert back to them.
I also like Varivas, but I dont think they are as "better" as they are expensive.

Calder Junky

Used to be a huge fan of Hardy but since they ‘changed’ last year I’ve become another Varivas fan.
Andy

wobbly face

I've used quite a few different brands, Hardy, Greys, Rio, Varivas, Stroft, Fulling mill, Snowbee etc and some what might be classed as independent. Now using Stroft, Varivas (midge) and Leeda Profile.

Calder Junky

Maxcatch leaders are pretty damn good and dirt
Just a word of caution about ordering anything at present from Maxcatch.

I had both my nymph lines destroyed in New Zealand back in March at the Commonwealth Championships so ordered a couple of cheap lines from Maxcatch as I use them as nothing more than easily handled backing when using a 12m french leader when I’m not comp fishing.

I ordered the lines the beginning of May I think it was. received an email about 3 weeks later to say they’d been despatched ( to be honest I’d been hoping I’d have received them before then, let alone them only being despatched). There was tracking data in the email so after they’d still not turned up a couple of weeks later I tried to track their whereabouts. The tracking showed they’d been collected from China and two two days later they were in Hong Kong but then hadn’t moved for two weeks. A polite email to Maxcatch resulted in a computer generated email saying they were dealing with 5000 emails a day and they’d be in touch soon. About 3 days later I then got another email with the same tracking number details but following the link that time the parcel was supposedly sent via another courier a few days later and was now stranded in Singapore and again hadn’t moved in over a fortnight. Another email resulted in a shitty email from Matchcatch saying and I quote ‘ your buying internationally and not from Walmart’. First and last time I’ll ever buy from them and nearly 8 weeks later I’m still waiting for the order. PayPal dispute starting any day soon!
Beware!
Andy[/QUOTE]

tangled

Just a word of caution about ordering anything at present from Maxcatch.

I had both my nymph lines destroyed in New Zealand back in March at the Commonwealth Championships so ordered a couple of cheap lines from Maxcatch as I use them as nothing more than easily handled backing when using a 12m french leader when I’m not comp fishing.

I ordered the lines the beginning of May I think it was. received an email about 3 weeks later to say they’d been despatched ( to be honest I’d been hoping I’d have received them before then, let alone them only being despatched). There was tracking data in the email so after they’d still not turned up a couple of weeks later I tried to track their whereabouts. The tracking showed they’d been collected from China and two two days later they were in Hong Kong but then hadn’t moved for two weeks. A polite email to Maxcatch resulted in a computer generated email saying they were dealing with 5000 emails a day and they’d be in touch soon. About 3 days later I then got another email with the same tracking number details but following the link that time the parcel was supposedly sent via another courier a few days later and was now stranded in Singapore and again hadn’t moved in over a fortnight. Another email resulted in a shitty email from Matchcatch saying and I quote ‘ your buying internationally and not from Walmart’. First and last time I’ll ever buy from them and nearly 8 weeks later I’m still waiting for the order. PayPal dispute starting any day soon!
Beware!
Andy
There's 69 pages of people here who've bought from Maxcatch here.

You're not going to get next day delivery, you occasionally get next week delivery, more often you get 3 week delivery. Sometimes it's longer.

I've only bought a pack of leaders just to see what the fuss was about. Arrived in about 10 days and are as good as anything I've bought from Grey's, Hardy and Leada. For about 60p.

Calder Junky

There's 69 pages of people here who've bought from Maxcatch here.

You're not going to get next day delivery, you occasionally get next week delivery, more often you get 3 week delivery. Sometimes it's longer.

I've only bought a pack of leaders just to see what the fuss was about. Arrived in about 10 days and are as good as anything I've bought from Grey's, Hardy and Leada. For about 60p.
I’d be totally happy with 3 weeks but I’m pissed about the 8 week wait for sure and I’m totally pissed about their terrible attitude to my emails.
Something has clearly gone wrong, if I could see the order slowly progressing it’s way to the UK as I’m accustomed when importing goods then that would be fine but following either tracking link they’ve provided shows the goods haven’t budged in almost a month so somethings clearly gone wrong so why their condescending comments regarding ‘ buying from Walmart’ rather than than some reassuring customer support and firm actions.

Won’t be getting a second chance from me.

Andy

Reactions: JCP

dave b

I bought some Maxcatch leaders a while ago following a post on here recommending them. They are ok but I feel that the Leeda profile leaders are better and that the Hardy co-polymer leaders are far superior to both.

BobP

Maxcatch leaders are cheap and cheerful. I use them quite a lot when guiding as it's a lot less painful in the wallet when inexperienced rods trash one in the first five minutes of the day.

DutyDruid

JP, how would you go about building you own leader. Is it just mono/ flourocarbon line for the leader then a lower weight/gauge line for the tippet. Only asking as still to get a fly wet and have the gear ready to go( all be it a Abu Garcia Diplomat )
Cheers
Ray

tangled

JP, how would you go about building you own leader. Is it just mono/ flourocarbon line for the leader then a lower weight/gauge line for the tippet. Only asking as still to get a fly wet and have the gear ready to go( all be it a Abu Garcia Diplomat )
Cheers
Ray
There are hundreds of youtubes on it