Leek and District Rivers

Fishcake

The peak ended up being only 200mm less than a 1/4 century high. None of the other rivers responded in anything like the same way over the last 24hrs. I'll have a look..
There are a couple of places along its length where humans can influence the flow rates. This has obviously taken place recently.

Where are the readings taken from?

steve clarke

R Dove-Dovedale

Visited today, water high but generally clear-more than I expected! Plenty of fish about with water being fishable and no difficulties in wading. Cold northerly wind with few walkers. Used your patters Alex-caught one, with the others coming to killer bug and GRHE.
Enjoy the week-end gentlemen.
Steve Clarke

matt

Fished Milldale end on Friday. Hard day fishing with the wind and water quite coloured. Manage two OS trout but no grayling to be had. :(

Popped by Lord's bridge, water very coloured and river quite high despite readings from EA, probably fishble with a bit of care!

Arthur Wellesley

Thought twice about going to the Upper Severn today so headed for DD instead, fishing with Andy. The Dove was in fine form. High but clearing. Loads of grayling and most were 1lb plus, some pushing 2lb. Finished the day with a pint of Timmy Taylor in the Watts Russell, which now opens every day from 3pm, except Mondays.

Great day to be out.

Kev

Fishcake

Salmon in the Churnet - it's been confirmed that salmon are running the Churnet this year.

I've seen the photos of the salmon going up the weir at Rocester mill. Despite the different views on the re-introduction of salmon to the Churnet (they used to be there naturally many, many moons ago) it's a great sign of a river brought back to a decent standard. I was brought up in Rocester and through JCB fishing club spent a huge amount of time fishing the river there (the Dove on the other side of the village was far too posh for those of us that lived in dwellings provided by the council, well, until it was going dark anyway ;) ;) ;) ). Also there was a free stretch just upstream of the old road bridge and many was the time that there would be a dozen or so of us having a gudgeon match :) :) :) Happy days!

But I remember all too well the many visits where you'd get to the river to find many fish floating at the surface. These were usually due to spills from upstream near Leek with it's various chemical works and dye manufacturers. That was over thirty years ago now and no matter what the species of fish in evidence it's great to see one of Staffordshire's great rivers looking healthy.

shawsidespringers

I started fishing for trout over 35 years ago in the Churnet above Abbey Road in Leek up towards Tittisworth reservoir. At the time this was a Leek and Moorlands Fishing Club stretch and although the trout were generally small there were plenty to be caught on the worm and they were beautiful fish. At the time the river was in a much poorer condition below Leek and there were regular fish kills. It is good to hear that the river continues to improve. Anyone know how far up the Salmon can get?

Dave
I've seen the photos of the salmon going up the weir at Rocester mill. Despite the different views on the re-introduction of salmon to the Churnet (they used to be there naturally many, many moons ago) it's a great sign of a river brought back to a decent standard. I was brought up in Rocester and through JCB fishing club spent a huge amount of time fishing the river there (the Dove on the other side of the village was far too posh for those of us that lived in dwellings provided by the council, well, until it was going dark anyway ;) ;) ;) ). Also there was a free stretch just upstream of the old road bridge and many was the time that there would be a dozen or so of us having a gudgeon match :) :) :) Happy days!

But I remember all too well the many visits where you'd get to the river to find many fish floating at the surface. These were usually due to spills from upstream near Leek with it's various chemical works and dye manufacturers. That was over thirty years ago now and no matter what the species of fish in evidence it's great to see one of Staffordshire's great rivers looking healthy.

royvs

Grayling Society Day....21 November

Any one else going?

Can I just check?

Is the meeting point the Royal Oak Public House on the A52, Post Code DE6 2BN?

Many thanks,

royvs

Thanks Alex, NeilH and I are going together.

Had to cry off last year, due to being in Hospital but did manage the year before, gorgeous water as I recall.

Fishcake

Thanks Alex, NeilH and I are going together.

Had to cry off last year, due to being in Hospital but did manage the year before, gorgeous water as I recall.

Roy,

A couple of us will be nipping into the Royal Oak for a spot of lunch if you fancy that ;)

royvs

Roy,

A couple of us will be nipping into the Royal Oak for a spot of lunch if you fancy that ;)

Kind thought, Gary. I can't eat "ordinary" food but will certainly call in for a quick chat.

Hope the weather stays OK.

adamroybooth

Milldale on fine form yesterday morning.

A small drab pink shrimp produced most fish to the dropper.

As well as quite a few small fish i was fortunate enough to have 3 lovely fish between 1.10oz and 1.14oz.

Was only there for an hour and a half before i took a dunk (first time in 2010), so i shot off smartish to make sure the flu, i have just beaten, didn't return.

Ads