Leek and District Rivers

royvs

Well, I did go to the Grayling Society day at Maybrook. What a beautiful piece of water that is.

I could only manage an hour, various things have knocked the stuffing out of me but I took a real Net Filler, straight off and lost a bigger one in the fast water. Few other touches and I thought I was in for a good day but it went bitter cold and I had to retreat to Neil's car.

Neil joined me an hour or so later, saying he had had enough and I can only hope he was not just being kind to me, as the signs were there for a thumping Good 'un.

Pink Shrimp on the Dropper took the first one and the LDR came to a #14 Flashback. Both tied and recommended by JT. He even recommended the location.

Gary, sorry we didn't make the Royal Oak at Lunchtime.

Fishcake

Well, I did go to the Grayling Society day at Maybrook. What a beautiful piece of water that is.

I could only manage an hour, various things have knocked the stuffing out of me but I took a real Net Filler, straight off and lost a bigger one in the fast water. Few other touches and I thought I was in for a good day but it went bitter cold and I had to retreat to Neil's car.

Neil joined me an hour or so later, saying he had had enough and I can only hope he was not just being kind to me, as the signs were there for a thumping Good 'un.

Pink Shrimp on the Dropper took the first one and the LDR came to a #14 Flashback. Both tied and recommended by JT. He even recommended the location.

Gary, sorry we didn't make the Royal Oak at Lunchtime.

Roy,

A notherly wind picked up a bit at one stage which was a bit biting. At least you got some action whilst you could.

It was a good day with the river in great form.

An addition to the list of recommendations would be the steak & ale pie and chips at the Royal Oak :D :D :D You'll have to ask Alex what the apple pie was like :eek:

Fishcake

Winter Grayling

Had a couple of days winter grayling fishing with Arthur Wellesley arranged. We went to Wales yesterday but it was proper cold! Down to minus 13 degrees at one point and didn't get much warmer even in the sun. So we had a go on the Dee but decided that instead of staying over for two days of brass monkey's we'd head back home and go local today.

The drop down the road into Ilam showed that the temperature was a much more manageable minus 2!! Not quite shorts and flip-flops weather but it felt distincly mild compared to Corwen yesterday. As I pulled onto Dovedale car park I could see that it was exactly how I like it.......empty :D :D :D

Anyway we set off on one of those fantastic winters days at Dovedale. Very few folk around and all of them friendly. Super weather, cold but manageable (the little bit of wind up to the stepping stones dropped off above the nursery pool). A leisurely walk up and down the valley stopping to fish a few spots here and there. The scenery was great. And we finished with a pint of "The Izaak" at the Izaak Walton hotel.....very nice if a bit pricey :eek: Oh and we did manage to catch a few grayling with my best approaching two pound and Kev had quite a lot more than me including at least one over two pounds.....I did let him have the best swims ;) ;) ;)

IMGP3290.jpg

IMGP3293.jpg

IMGP3300.jpg

IMGP3303.jpg

IMGP3302.jpg

IMGP3312.jpg

IMGP3296.jpg

Arthur Wellesley

Good day to be out Gary (or at least better than yesterday's -13C). Nice shot of Loki. Thanks for avoiding a photo of her in her girdle.

The photo below is my second best grayling of the day, the 2lb+ fish being juggled before the camera came out.

Can you check those scales of yours. Your fish looks 2lb to me.

Kev

IMGP6127.jpg

IMGP6122.jpg

IMGP6119.jpg

Last edited:

alex.swann

Posted a 'where's this' competition here for anyone interested .... http://www.flyforums.co.uk/840549-post3078.html . £25 of passport vouchers to the winner.

Kev

1. Churnet - deep down - fenton stretch

2. passport beat - above wolfscotedale

3. The Wye

4. The Dove - Ludwell farm - handsome chap in picture.

5. The Churnet - Lords Bridge

6. The Dove - tempted to say Norbury - near broken railway bridge

7. Manifold

8. Derwent - willersly castle

9. Source of the Dove

11. Bentley Brook.

12. Dovedale - lions head rock

13. Norbury Weir

Trugg

Nice Fish

Your right about the best time of year Gary,genuine walkers only, whos taking me out Sunday or do I poach it :p

Mick

Arthur Wellesley

3. The Wye

4. The Dove - Ludwell farm - handsome chap in picture.

7. Manifold

9. Source of the Dove

11. Bentley Brook.

13. Norbury Weir

I make that 9.5 out of 13 Alex. Best score so far.

Kev

Fishcake

Posted a 'where's this' competition here for anyone interested .... http://www.flyforums.co.uk/840549-post3078.html . £25 of passport vouchers to the winner.

Kev

1. Churnet - Fenton stretch by the sharp bend on the road
2. Dove - Wolfscotedale
3. Wye - near fishermans car park
4. Manifold - DCAC below Brund Mill
5. Churnet - bottom end of Eastwall Farm
6. Dove - Norbury
7. Manifold - just above the bridge at Swainsley Hall
8. Derwent - Willersley Castle
9. Source of the Dove at Axe Edge
10. Dove - LADFFA Crowdecote
11. Bentley Brook - LADFFA possibly in the meadow towards the bottom end
12. Dove - Lions Face rock
13. Dove - Norbury Weir

Any good? As long as I beat Alex i'm happy ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:

alex.swann

1. Churnet - Fenton stretch by the sharp bend on the road
2. Dove - Wolfscotedale
3. Wye - near fishermans car park
4. Manifold - DCAC below Brund Mill
5. Churnet - bottom end of Eastwall Farm
6. Dove - Norbury
7. Manifold - just above the bridge at Swainsley Hall
8. Derwent - Willersley Castle
9. Source of the Dove at Axe Edge
10. Dove - LADFFA Crowdecote
11. Bentley Brook - LADFFA possibly in the meadow towards the bottom end
12. Dove - Lions Face rock
13. Dove - Norbury Weir

Any good? As long as I beat Alex i'm happy ;) ;) ;)

There the bloody same as mine...

Fishcake

There the bloody same as mine...

4 and 5 are different (probably correct in my case ;) ;) ;) ) and you didn't even answer number 10........you've got to be in it to win it :whistle:

I've just noticed as well that it is you in number 4. I'd laugh if you've got that one wrong!!!!!

Last edited:

alex.swann

4 and 5 are different (probably correct in my case ;) ;) ;) ) and you didn't even answer number 10........you've got to be in it to win it :whistle:

I've just noticed as well that it is you in number 4. I'd laugh if you've got that one wrong!!!!!

I know - but ive never fished the manifold with kev...

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Ok - some changes and 10

3. The Wye

4. manifold - handsome chap in picture.

7. Manifold

9. Source of the Dove

10. Dove - crowdecote

11. Bentley Brook.

13. Norbury Weir

Arthur Wellesley

Gary - by an extermely scientific scoring system, you're on 11.53 out of 13.

Alex - you're on 11.50. Hate to tell you this mate, but you have fished The Manifold with me :D

I'm amazed you got as many as you have. Should have made it more difficult. Time yet for a winner.

Kev