Lemon & Blue.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Found a bit more time to have a mess around at the vice again so tied this Lemon & Blue which is basically the Pryce-Tannatt version but without the herl head which then makes it the Veniard version, oh it gets complicated these salmon flies.:rolleyes: Also tied a wee Black Dog on a 1/0 which I seem to have lost the pic for so will post it with the next fly I tie. Tied at size 2/0.

Tail - GP topping crest & GP tippets.
Tag - oval silver tinsel & orange floss.
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - blue Seal's fur.
Ribs - oval silver tinsel.
Hackle - blue cock hackle.
Throat - yellow cock hackle.
Wings - GP tippets, GP tail, Florican Bustard, Bustard (Kori), Goose dyed red, blue, yellow & orange & Bronze Mallard.
Sides - Barred Wood Duck & Teal.
Horns - blue & yellow Macaw.

Thanks for looking.

cheers

mark

Last edited:

baca157

You’re on form Mark. another cracker:thumbs:

Nice pattern.I notice that you tied the red and orange Goose as a side rather than part of main wing but listed in the main wing section. Is it common to tie Goose like that?

Cheers,
Sebastian

wingman

You’re on form Mark. another cracker:thumbs:

Nice pattern.I notice that you tied the red and orange Goose as a side rather than part of main wing but listed in the main wing section. Is it common to tie Goose like that?

Cheers,
Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian. Yes that's a good observation as I've tied those Goose sections as part of the sides and actually all tied in as one large section including the Teal & Woody which I married to the Goose prior to tying in and same on the other side of course. I don't see much wrong with that as technically it's still a part of the wing and just another way of incorporating those fibres into it. I think it's good to be creative sometimes while still using the materials asked for in the dressing and if it still looks ok you've probably got away with it.:whistle::D Saying that if it had been the full Pryce-Tannatt version and not the Veniard one then the wing would ideally be made up of a sequence of the materials say two fibres of each of the following for example Florican, red Goose, GP tail, yellow Goose, Bustard, orange Goose, blue Goose and then that sequence repeating again in the wing once more. That's kind of how a Pryce-Tannatt wing would go and then the Woody and Teal sides married up which is his trademark.

baca157

Thanks Sebastian. Yes that's a good observation as I've tied those Goose sections as part of the sides and actually all tied in as one large section including the Teal & Woody which I married to the Goose prior to tying in and same on the other side of course. I don't see much wrong with that as technically it's still a part of the wing and just another way of incorporating those fibres into it. I think it's good to be creative sometimes while still using the materials asked for in the dressing and if it still looks ok you've probably got away with it.:whistle::D Saying that if it had been the full Pryce-Tannatt version and not the Veniard one then the wing would ideally be made up of a sequence of the materials say two fibres of each of the following for example Florican, red Goose, GP tail, yellow Goose, Bustard, orange Goose, blue Goose and then that sequence repeating again in the wing once more. That's kind of how a Pryce-Tannatt wing would go and then the Woody and Teal sides married up which is his trademark.

Makes sense Mark. I noticed that there are a lot of different interpretations of the same dressings. Each tier seem to have their own style. I found it really confusing to begin with, but now started to tie flies the way I understand them:thumbs: I suppose it’s a part of the learning process.

Quite fancy tying this fly myself soon but need to get the blue seals fur and hackle first:doh:

Cheers,
Sebastian

tj hooker

Beautiful tying Mark have to say I love that style of fly with a bronze mallard roof and no topping over lovely flowing style.

DaveM

Cracking fly as usual, but you really must stop tying these now and showing them as I struggle with a Diawl Bach, only joking please keep them coming.

Dave

wingman

Re: Lemon & Blue.

Oh I just tie them any old way Sebastian to be honest :eek:mg: as long as I'm utilising the materials in the dressing using subs of course where necessary. I mean I am trying to stick within the parameters of classic fly tying in general and trying to keep things in proportion but I like to go with a looser feeling and not get caught up in classic salmon fly neurosis of period accuracy and all that stuff which I find quite pedantic to be honest. Like if you tie a fly from Kelson then it should be in his style and using his methods, well no I don't always go by that way of thinking. I mean you could state that you're tying a fly from kelson but in your own style but if you're tying a fly from kelson in his style using his methods then I suppose you put yourself under more scrutiny as you're tying against a blueprint more or less. Certainly just tie them how you feel to start with as you're still working on the techniques etc but if you want to get more into the period accuracy thing then go for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Beautiful tying Mark have to say I love that style of fly with a bronze mallard roof and no topping over lovely flowing style.

Thanks Grahame yes a few flies with that kind of wing, the Butcher, Fenian and Fiery brown being others I can think of off the top of me head.

Cracking fly as usual, but you really must stop tying these now and showing them as I struggle with a Diawl Bach, only joking please keep them coming.

Dave

Thanks DaveM what I wouldn't give to tie a Diawl Bach just now, still working on my technique though.:D