Leven Yesterday

willster

Fished Leven yesterday in club competition for Kinglassie AC. Poor turnout only 6 rods 3 boats.

Talked to Willie Wilson before we went out and he suggested the same areas as kindly given to me by 3lber and bert, but also added that south of the reed bower was worth a shot on the way out.

Weather conditions first thing were perfect, overcast steady 8-10 mph westerly so we headed out armed with various sinking lines and amixture of lures, small traditionals and snatchers.

Myself and boat partner decided to stop off at the reed bower and if nothing was happening head north, The other boats kept going in the direction of St Serfs.

We set the first drift in line with the start of castle island and about 200 yards out to drift onto and over the "bower bank". I fished the di7 sweep with the yellow and orange tailed bibio on the to dropper kate in the middle and small blk/silver hummy on the point. Just as we approached the bank got a solid take on the humungus and my first leven trout of the season was soon inthe boat. A typical perfect little loch leven fish of 13" just under a pound. We drifted on and had a swirl to the bibio the other side of the bower bank in open water. We decided that the drift was worth at least one more go, so it was back up. We repeated this drift several more times during the morning with me picking up 2 more fish upto 15" one on the bibio and one onthe humungus on the hang. By one oclock and 3 fish in the boat we decided to head north to green isle, north queich. However on the way over wind started to change and by the time we got there was a very light north. After 30 mins without a touch it was back to the bower.

The clouds were dissapearing rapidly by now and the wind dropping to almost a flat calm . I tried the buzzers for a short period nothing. Bp had a rattle to the lures and wind changed again to light southerly so we set up drift from south shore to bower. We saw lots of small fish 6 to 8" going upwind in shoals as we drift across (good to see for the future) and had a few rattles probably from these fish. The wind then completed its full 360 by giong back to west unfortunately it was still bright with the occasional cloud cover. Again drift over the bower bank BP picked uo 15" on a mackay, quickly followed by its twin and my 4th fish to the bibio this time. Apart from a couple more knocks that was the last of the action before the 6 oclock finish.

On getting in it was clear that with 5 fish in the boat we had faired well in comparison to others already in. Only 2 more fish had been taken by our boats.

A succesful day cant wait till next outing, thanks for the info again guys, tightlines,

Paul

The Bear

Fished Leven yesterday in club competition for Kinglassie AC. Poor turnout only 6 rods 3 boats.

Talked to Willie Wilson before we went out and he suggested the same areas as kindly given to me by 3lber and bert, but also added that south of the reed bower was worth a shot on the way out.

Weather conditions first thing were perfect, overcast steady 8-10 mph westerly so we headed out armed with various sinking lines and amixture of lures, small traditionals and snatchers.

Myself and boat partner decided to stop off at the reed bower and if nothing was happening head north, The other boats kept going in the direction of St Serfs.

We set the first drift in line with the start of castle island and about 200 yards out to drift onto and over the "bower bank". I fished the di7 sweep with the yellow and orange tailed bibio on the to dropper kate in the middle and small blk/silver hummy on the point. Just as we approached the bank got a solid take on the humungus and my first leven trout of the season was soon inthe boat. A typical perfect little loch leven fish of 13" just under a pound. We drifted on and had a swirl to the bibio the other side of the bower bank in open water. We decided that the drift was worth at least one more go, so it was back up. We repeated this drift several more times during the morning with me picking up 2 more fish upto 15" one on the bibio and one onthe humungus on the hang. By one oclock and 3 fish in the boat we decided to head north to green isle, north queich. However on the way over wind started to change and by the time we got there was a very light north. After 30 mins without a touch it was back to the bower.

The clouds were dissapearing rapidly by now and the wind dropping to almost a flat calm . I tried the buzzers for a short period nothing. Bp had a rattle to the lures and wind changed again to light southerly so we set up drift from south shore to bower. We saw lots of small fish 6 to 8" going upwind in shoals as we drift across (good to see for the future) and had a few rattles probably from these fish. The wind then completed its full 360 by giong back to west unfortunately it was still bright with the occasional cloud cover. Again drift over the bower bank BP picked uo 15" on a mackay, quickly followed by its twin and my 4th fish to the bibio this time. Apart from a couple more knocks that was the last of the action before the 6 oclock finish.

On getting in it was clear that with 5 fish in the boat we had faired well in comparison to others already in. Only 2 more fish had been taken by our boats.

A succesful day cant wait till next outing, thanks for the info again guys, tightlines,

Paul
Thanks for the report mate ,it sounds like you had a good day :)

Davie Duck Fly

fly dressing

:):)Hi Paul been trying to find the dressing or the Mackay for a while now but cant find it anywhere any help would be very much appreciated REGARDS DAVE

Davie Duck Fly

fly dressing

:):):)Thanks for the dressing Tom I thought that was how it was tied
Will give it a go up there tomorrow thanks again pal cheers DDF:whistle::whistle:

willster

:):)Hi Paul been trying to find the dressing or the Mackay for a while now but cant find it anywhere any help would be very much appreciated REGARDS DAVE
Hi Davie,

The Mackay now has a large number of variations but I still use what I believe is close to the original which is:

Hook: B175 size 10
Thread: black 8/0
Tail: Black marabou with one strand pearl krystal flash either side tied to int rules.
Rib: flat gold
Body and thorax: hares ear
Wing case: cock pheasant tail
Checks: glow brite No 7
Breathers: glow brite No 16

Paul

Davie Duck Fly

mackay

:) Paul that's magic pal that is the dressing am after . and how is EK doing it a while since I have been down that neck of the woods . I have a few pals still living there I used to take a fly tying class in outskirts on the old town in one of the Old counsel buildings . these were the days again thanks Paul regards DDF