Life Jacket - Check !

Englander

Hi Guys

I was at GAC yesterday the RNLI stand got me thinking when did i last check my life jacket ?................... :whistle:

We all know its one of those things we should all do at the start of each season but often can't be bothered ! :eek:

Let's face it your going to feel a bit of a plonker if it fails when you need it ! not to mention being DEAD puts an end to your fishing FOR EVER !

My Jacket Manual Pull type.

DSC06137.jpg

Unfold the velcro and open it out to expose the Co2 bottle mine's 33g , check the jacket over , remove the bottle weigh it ? If its the same weight its fine i.e hasn't leaked :)

Put the bottle back.

Now using the mouth inflation blow up your jacket and leave it over night to see if there's any leaks. If all's well push in the non return valve in and deflate squeezing out all the air and stow it. :thumbs:

My jacket inflated by mouth to test for leaks.

DSC06151.jpg

It passed :thumbs:

Stephen

marker66

Have mine 4 years and never thought of that till now:eek:mg:
thanks for the info

maharg

I bought an automatic vest for my daughter and when I checked it at home the gas cylinder was 5 years out of date!!!!!!

You can imagine my rage when I took it back to the retailer.
He then said it wasn't his problem and refered me to the makers.
Feckk that said I, you replace it.
That particulair model was out of date and no longer available he informed me.
"well you will just have to upgrade it for me" said I.
He mumped and groaned until I lost the rag and was going to stick one on his chin.
The manufacturers got in touch and sent me a brand new up to date one.

Last edited:

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
an excellent post ,one that could so easily save someone's life ,like mine:eek:mg::eek:mg:, being unable to swim and i have never checked mine:eek::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:, i have asked admin if they can make this a stickie as it is worthy of it :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

nice one Stephen :thumbs:

andy cooper

Checked mine the other day before a winter pike fishing boat trip to the Norfolk broads. Glad I did, the CO2 cartridge was empty and the bladder had a split in it when inflated manually!!!!
I got a new one with 10% discount from England's because I am an Angling Trust member. Glad I never fell in with the old one as I would have got a nasty shock!

frithy

Forgive my ignorance Englander but, when weighing the cartridge and the net weight is the same as the stamped weight on the bottle, has it leaked?
Everything else is in a pristine condition (I've had the jacket 5 years without the need to use it).

Please forgive my Homer Simpson moment. Doh!

Ernie

arabden

Brilliant post, just checked both my Wavehopper and England jacket. Both fine, gives a bit of re-assurance. Thanks for the reminder - it could be a life saver. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

BobP

At the very least the jacket should be returned to the manufacturer every other year for a full service. They should also get once-over every time they are worn.

NEVER wear it under other clothing unless you fancy busted ribs.

spaf4

I bought an automatic vest for my daughter and when I checked it at home the gas cylinder was 5 years out of date!!!!!!

You can imagine my rage when I took it back to the retailer.
He then said it wasn't his problem and refered me to the makers.
Feckk that said I, you replace it.
That particulair model was out of date and no longer available he informed me.
"well you will just have to upgrade it for me" said I.
He mumped and groaned until I lost the rag and was going to stick one on his chin.
The manufacturers got in touch and sent me a brand new up to date one.

It's your right to ask the retailer to exchange it, or to refund your money and he's duty bound in law to do so. It comes under the "Not fit for the purpose it was designed for". It's not for you to sort it out with the manufacturer...it's the retailers. Never let yourself get pushed around by the seller. You bought it from them and it's they who are responsible for dealing with goods that don't meet the necessary requirements.

Well done for standing your ground. (should have just decked him)

Steve.

graceman

Gas Cylinders generally have a weight stamped on them but that is its empty weight not its full weight.
I base this on my diving cylinders where the known weight is important to know for buoyancy reasons as you generally add lead weight to a belt for diving.
The Gas cylinder or manufactures documentation should define the markings and their meaning.

3lbgrayling

Strange.I was under the impression that the stamped weight on the lifejacket cylinder was it's full sealed weight.Am now confused.

Jim

Bourach

Strange.I was under the impression that the stamped weight on the lifejacket cylinder was it's full sealed weight.Am now confused.

Jim

Of course it is Jim.

There would be little point in weighing cylinders otherwise?:eek:mg:

Anyone that tells you the model's out of date is also likely to be fibbing.

All life jackets in the UK will have readily available cylinders usually 33g or 38g CO2 and the firing mechanism bobbins will either by UML, Halkey Roberts or Hammar

tarmangie

It is also worth giving life jackets from a fishery the once over, before wearing them, as it is not unknown for them to be damaged. I have heard of one, where when checked there was no gas cylinder at all. Apparently they are occasionally nicked by unscrupulous characters who don't want to pay for a replacement.

BobP

Quite a lot of fisheries supply l/js these days and require you to wear theirs instead of your own. Under those circumstances I always check them over and also look for the last service date which should be written on the label inside the jacket. If it isn't there or the date is more than a year old I refuse to wear the l/j and demand another one. My view is that they require me to wear their l/js so therefore they have a duty of care to provide me with serviceable equipment.