Life Jacket - Check !

Bourach

Quite a lot of fisheries supply l/js these days and require you to wear theirs instead of your own. Under those circumstances I always check them over and also look for the last service date which should be written on the label inside the jacket. If it isn't there or the date is more than a year old I refuse to wear the l/j and demand another one. My view is that they require me to wear their l/js so therefore they have a duty of care to provide me with serviceable equipment.

Service intervals should be based on use - I would suggest that on a fishery where the lifejackets get daily use from different individuals that service intervals should be based on risk and be a maximum of every 3 months

cat whisker

My Crewsaver Life Jacket gets serviced every year unless there is any signs of damage, fault or it has been activated and it will get serviced again at this time:)

W

wishingforawildie

There's some good info on the thread.

The most important check should be done every time you put the lifejacket on -- and that is to check the gas cylinder is screwed up nice and tight. Loose gas cylinders are regarded as the most common cause of failure in inflation lifejackets.

Have a look at this link from the maritine and coastguard agency.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/safety_alert_42.pdf

salmon96

I remove the gas cylinder and auto cartridge after each use to lessen the risk of inadvertent inflation. Stowing them with the jacket in an easy seal bag.
This habit, also means that both the cartridge and cylinder are checked for correct fitting each time it is used.
It's a two minute routine that is worth adopting for some peace of mind.

Bourach

I remove the gas cylinder and auto cartridge after each use to lessen the risk of inadvertent inflation. Stowing them with the jacket in an easy seal bag.
This habit, also means that both the cartridge and cylinder are checked for correct fitting each time it is used.
It's a two minute routine that is worth adopting for some peace of mind.

I can see your point in removing the bobbin although storing correctly would prevent any problem ..... But removing the CO2 bottle is completely pointless if the clip is in place. Just saying

3lbgrayling

I have had 2 unexpected inflations in the back of my van.with putting the auto l/jkt away wet.:rolleyes:I now take off the auto hammer.after a wet days fishing till all is dry.;)

Jim

williegunn

I have had 2 unexpected inflations in the back of my van.with putting the auto l/jkt away wet.:rolleyes:I now take off the auto hammer.after a wet days fishing till all is dry.;)

Jim
One of the most amusing moments was watching someone throw a 6 man life raft into the back of a Citroen 2 CV the cord caught and it auto inflated.
Poor fellow could not get it out and could not deflate it, ended up having to puncture it with a knife, I have never laughed so much.

3lbgrayling

One of the most amusing moments was watching someone throw a 6 man life raft into the back of a Citroen 2 CV the cord caught and it auto inflated.
Poor fellow could not get it out and could not deflate it, ended up having to puncture it with a knife, I have never laughed so much.

I'm surprised it did not wreck the 2cv:eek:

Jim

Bourach

You can get UML. Kit ( bobbin, bottle and clip) for under £10 if you look hard enough

If you take the bobbin out the only way to inflate the jacket is manually so there is no need to remove the cylinder unless you are completely accident prone.

salmon96

You can get UML. Kit ( bobbin, bottle and clip) for under £10 if you look hard enough

If you take the bobbin out the only way to inflate the jacket is manually so there is no need to remove the cylinder unless you are completely accident prone.

OK. Thank you. ;)

noel

Just a passing thought on the gas cylinders when reinstalling them after you have checked them do any of you use Gas Safe PTFE tape , I mention this as I have gas bottle central heating on my static caravan and since I started using it my leaks have stopped a couple of wraps should do.

Happy grandad

black knight

I was fishing in a competition yesterday and asked how often they checked their life jackets and changed the self inflating kit. I was told under fishery safety rules it has to be done annually.

Last edited:

Bourach

I was fishing in a competition yesterday and asked how often they checked their life jackets and changed the self inflating kit. I was told under fishery safety rules it has to be done annually.

An annual check is fine if you have your own jacket and tend to look after it but in a commercial fishery, given the likely usage by a number of different individuals, I would be doing a simple visual check on the jacket, buckles and firing mechanism on a weekly basis and a full inflation test on monthly during the season.

catchinator5000

I have a crew saver life jacket and although they are great quality - I always check it never can be too careful

dazza123

I have an englands waistcoat with built in lifesaver , the gas canister is marked 24g and would be over 10 years old now. would this be enough to keep me afloat if needed . I suspect this was the original gas canister that came with the waistcoat , I am approx. 13 stone.

3lbgrayling

The 13 stone is you on your bathroom scales in your underwear.I take it.What do you think you weigh with your full waterproofs.:eek:The Englands jkt is 100N which is really on the low side for a full grown adult(I believe)You cannot fit a bigger cylinder as the bladder is designed to accommodate 100N.also the early Englands l/jkts use a scarcer auto hammer(also more expensive)I think that after 10 years you should ''Probably'' renew the auto hammer,but if the cylinder is the correct weight then this should be ok.
Have a look here
http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/products/411/halkey-roberts-alpha-rearming-kit-24g

I hope this helps.

Jim

Last edited: