life jackets

running bear

I would get one with a hammar unit, less likely to falsely trigger in really wet conditions when in use or stuffed wet into a bag due to the mechanism design. the cylinder is held within the bladder, so a little more difficult to change as you’ve to leak test after placement.
loads of new designs around that are much more comfortable and less restrictive than before, so if you can try them on somewhere you’re more likely to get something that you’ll wear.

Last edited:

DancingwithWaves

Spinlock lifejacket's I'd recommend having purchased one a while back. They are also light and neat.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20201126_070744.jpg
    20201126_070744.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 16

Cap'n Fishy

I would get one with a hammar unit, less likely to falsely trigger in really wet conditions when in use or stuffed wet into a bag due to the mechanism design. the cylinder is held within the bladder, so a little more difficult to change as you’ve to leak test after placement.
loads of new designs around that are much more comfortable and less restrictive than before, so if you can try them on somewhere you’re more likely to get something that you’ll wear.

Agree with this. There are some that have a sodium bicarbonate plug that holds the firing pin back until it is submerged, but the plug gradually erodes in the damp and the thing can suddenly go off while you are sitting fishing... which will make you kak yourself when it happens! o_O

I got rid of mine and got one with a pressure-operated firing mechanism - goes off when it is 10 cm below the surface of the water..

Also, get one with crotch straps and use them, as these are essential to it functioning correctly.

Also, never wear anything over the top of it.

Col

BobP

Some interesting footage in that video. Note that none of the anglers were dragged down because their waders filled with water. In fact, had they been wearing wading belts the air in those waders would have acted like a life jacket. Personal experience here.

Something to bear in mind for those boat fishing and wearing l/j's which is pretty well mandatory on water supply reservoirs. There is no way on earth that you will be able to get back into the boat while wearing an inflated l/j, and if you are with someone and he panics and tries to pull you back over the side there is a better than even chance of his ending up in the drink with you.

Go to your local swimming pool and ask if you can try a simple test. L/j on and jump in the deep end. L/j inflates and you paddle gently to the side on your back. You will not be able to swim on your front. At the side and in water that is out of your depth try to hoist yourself out with the l/j inflated. You will not be able to do it. The normal process for this when not wearing a l/j is to push yourself down in the water first and then use your momentum to get high enough that half of your body or more is out and on the poolside. The inflated l/j will prevent that first downward push. I've tried it on one of the several water safety courses the EA sent me on - this particular one was with Northampton Fire & Rescue.

doobrysnatcher

its getting close now and im thinking a level 150 at least ,one that turns the user
on his back even if unconscious would be a necessity ,heres the link

bluezulu49

Something to bear in mind for those boat fishing and wearing l/j's which is pretty well mandatory on water supply reservoirs.
Doobry is fishing in the Republic and like jackets are mandatory here for occupants of boats of less than 7 metres length.

A fellow member in a fly tying group advised boat anglers to install a rope with a weighted loop attached to a seat before commencing angling. The idea is that the loop is accessible to someone in the water and that they can pull it overboard and use it as a stirrup to get back in the boat. It needs to be adjusted in length to suit the individual angler. I intend to use one if we are allowed out again this year.

Cap'n Fishy

Doobry is fishing in the Republic and like jackets are mandatory here for occupants of boats of less than 7 metres length.

A fellow member in a fly tying group advised boat anglers to install a rope with a weighted loop attached to a seat before commencing angling. The idea is that the loop is accessible to someone in the water and that they can pull it overboard and use it as a stirrup to get back in the boat. It needs to be adjusted in length to suit the individual angler. I intend to use one if we are allowed out again this year.

I would have a full scale practice run in shallow water to see if it works OK. And I would only try it over the stern, not the side.

Col

haggstock

There was one thing that the video above in the sea survival school missed out - cold water . I’ve done the MCA sea survival school at Fleetwood , and the wave pool was a pleasant temperature . Going under cold water and it’s a different matter you might be in such shock youre not going to calmly tread water . The life jacket will get you face up in seconds . If you end up two or more people in the water , all on your back , form a chain by legs under the armpits of the man in front and wrap around , then supported by your life jackets paddle with 4 or 6 arms etc like a centipede on its back
!

Cap'n Fishy

There was one thing that the video above in the sea survival school missed out - cold water . I’ve done the MCA sea survival school at Fleetwood , and the wave pool was a pleasant temperature . Going under cold water and it’s a different matter you might be in such shock youre not going to calmly tread water . The life jacket will get you face up in seconds . If you end up two or more people in the water , all on your back , form a chain by legs under the armpits of the man in front and wrap around , then supported by your life jackets paddle with 4 or 6 arms etc like a centipede on its back
!

I knew a guy who ended-up capsized on the Lake of Menteith, many years ago. That was his take-home message - the way that the shock of the cold takes your breath away. Some life jackets don't have any CO2 cylinder and rely on you to inflate it by blowing into it. He said, forget about that. If you are relying on one of those, you are a dead person, as you can barely draw breath after being ditched.

Col

doobrysnatcher

No
Crewsaver. As spelt.
that one is a clear knock-off, trying to pretend it is similar.
it’s your life (plus those of your fellow fishermen): not worth cutting corners and getting a cheap lifejacket
IMHO
I JUST BOUGHT 2 OF THESE A BIT MORE EXPENSIVE BUT AS YOU SAYWHATS A LIFE WORTH,
ARE THEY FIT FOR PURPOSE ?

Last edited: