Liffey, Ireland.

Never mind the pollocks

As today is the opening day I am creating this thread in hopeful anticiaption of some reports on conditions and hopefully catches!

otter

Have had 3 days out since opening day. Fishing has been reasonably good despite the flooding from the dam. Its a matter of starting in the newbridge area and moving downstream as the levels drop.

All fish are holding deep on the edge of the main flows and few have moved into the riffles, it will be a few weeks before any real hatches but good fishing is still possible.

All in all a good start to the new season, most of the fish I caught were in good condition with one really deep fish of 1lb +.

As always the liffey delivers high quality fishing.

liffeyben

I have had 4 days on the liffey, with 39 fish all to goldheads as the flood drops.
Unlike otter I was getting them in the shallower waters.

alanl

I have fished the Liffey and caught a couple of nice fish, caught on a black spider and a greenwells spider.After flood hoping to get out Saturday, I will post results then !
Al.

alanl

My head is wrecked, the river has been in flood all day every day for the last 3 weeks, is there any way to fish when its in flood?
Has anyone ever fished the river greese at Ballitore any info / help would be great.
Al

shuck raider

Not much you can do about it until it drops a bit :D

The Greese is a lovely wee river although it's been a while since I was on it. There was a very active Club in Ballytore which did great work on the river and there was always a big trout or two (5/6lb) came out of it each season, but the average size of fish used to be around a pound because it's a limestone stream with good feeding.

I was big into entomology at the time and the Greese is the only place in Ireland where I've ever seen a hatch of the Purple Dun (Paraleptophlebia cincta) Until I identified a sample specimen at home, I thought they were Iron Blues and the trout didn't mind eating that pattern so I guess it should still work :)

alanl

Well it's two years on,
My fishing has come on in leaps and bounds, mostly from reading the threads on here, and not being afraid to ask for help bank side. The Liffey is fishing very well,and we held a regional final and a national final on our waters this year. Next year we will hold the home Internationals.We are just getting hatches of blue winged olives and sedge in the evenings. My daytime fishing has been mostly on nymphs, with some nice fish coming to a pheasant tail with a red bead.
Should you get a chance to be over, and would like to fish our water, day tickets and weekly tickets are available check out our web site n.k.t.s.s.a.com or type North Kildare Trout And Salmon into Google for more details.
So tight lines and thanks for all the help
Al

bromium

Any reports on how its fishing so far this season guys. Many LDO's to be seen or is it still heavy nymphs on the bottom?

Bromium