Line developing coiling issues after playing a big fish? What a muppet I am...

raphael

So my fellow Spey casters seem to all agree with what we explained:
- change casting side/casting method in order to make the swirl two different ways (clockwise and counter clock wise);
- one is also suggesting to cast high in the sky as this allow the line to uncoil in the air before landing;
- some suggests (like H.Mortensen) to let go the line in the flow before starting fishing to assist un-twisting.

At last:
- we all really wonder how this could happen when playing a fish... I guess the quality of that particular line might have been affected by something (high temperature, chemicals, or even bad manufacturing, what else?). Consequently, when the tension got high, the core of the line and its external layers did not extent the same way and when getting back to normal condition the two parts did not retract the same.
- I must point at the particular care that is needed to spool a brand new line onto your reel: it must go in the reel as straight as possible, with no angle, no twist. You can to it by uncoiling in line while you retrieve with your reel or you can also spread the whole line on a meadow and spool it gently, passing in through a wet soft fabric to remove the twists.

speytime

Is it the case that when you fish one bank solely, it develops, but when you keep swapping banks there is no need to uncoil it.
One imagines if you keep swapping your casting side, the casting action itself will unravel it for you.
An interesting theory, if the fishers doesn't swap shoulders when swapping banks it'll continue to twist, swapping your upstream shoulder would in theory unwind it, im referring to spey casting of course.
Personally I've never heard of a fish twisting lines regardless of there size?
Al

Last edited:

lipslicker

An interesting theory, if the fishers doesn't swap shoulders when swapping banks it'll continue to twist, swapping your upstream shoulder would in theory unwind it, im referring to spey casting of course.
Personally I've never heard of a fish twisting lines regardless of there size?
Al
Seems I am different to most you other guys, as I tend to swap casting sides a fair bit, whether river right or left, or wind on different shoulders.

Tommy Ruffe

I've often almost started a thread on 'why the hell has my flyline started to coil after hooking into large fish?' Well, I think I've answered it myself now, and I feel like a total fool.
I'm very, very careful when spooling flylines on, because line twist is probably the most annoying thing in flyfishing... well it is when it happens to me. In my mind the best way to get a slight coil when a line is straight from the box is hook into and play a good fish... and yes I'd still go with that.
But, and it's a big but.... don't, when you're winding the backing on, Wind it on so the backing spool is rolling around the room willy nilly. I'm sure this is where my line twist comes from. The line is fantastic until a good fish runs a good amount of backing from the spool, the line twist in the backing is then transferred into the flyline. It's then never the same until I take the line for a walk through grass.
Am I talking dross? I never have the issue with river lines or lines I use for small stillwater wildies (they never allow me to see the backing)
Could it be that you're playing big fish off the reel and the line gets wound back on the reel under pressure. The tension leaves a memory in the line - just a thought.

speytime

I often find a bit of twist with overhead casting and spey, tbh I thought twist was impossible to avoid in spey casting that's why rio sell a fly line swivel?
With a single hander i roll my fingers as I'm pulling the line and work it forwards.

Al

Elwyman

First thing I do on the river (no fly on the leader) is pull off at least 60-70 feet of line and let it hang down in the current for a couple of minutes. Water pressure will (usually) take out any twists. With many spey casts getting a bit of line twist is a 'given.'
Good advice Fred, and probably worth doing when you have fitted a new line.

JCP

Avoid the spool trying to escape :DBacking is like any other line and needs care when winding on.Always load under tension from a fixed spool on a dowel rod or anything similar.I criss cross at regular intervals to avoid it digging in on itself although it is Sprectra type braid which is more likely to do this under pressure and guess here we are talking Dacron 20lb type backing trout fishing.

JP

speytime

I also put the backing on straight off the the spool as I would a line and under pressure to stop it digging in.

Eta...
In regards to straightening/untwisting a line it's so simple to do but takes a bit of explaining?
Take a 5/6ft length of line as in pull your arms apart, now when you bring your hands together the line will either spiral or have a nice U between your hands.
If It does spiral twist/spin one end of line with your thumb and index finger that'll make the spiral tighter or unwind it into a U shape.
You need to start at the back and work it forwards keeping the untwisted pinched.

Al

Last edited: