Line Flash

Dru91

As a newbie to fly fishing I've been self teaching myself alot and doing endless research. Unfortunately it can be a minefield of conflicting opinions and misinformation at times and I've found it difficult to establish some solid facts to shed some light on questions I've had so I usually like to post those questions here from time to time to get a general feel on something.

So with that being said; what's your opinion on this?

I seen this article today and I have up until now never heard of anyone mention line flash and from a quick google search I couldn't see any other sources corroborating it.

So what do you think, can the light reflecting of our leaders after too many false casts spook the fish? It seems sensible and plausible enough but I thought i'd throw this out there and see what you guys thought :unsure:

jaybeegee

You’re not wrong there Douglas. Yesterday evening on the river I could see two people on the footpath about 250 yards downstream and could not make out if they were anglers until the telltale flash from a rod confirmed they were.

B

Dru91

I hadn't considered rod flash as a potential scare to the fish though searching for it now, it seems to be a more prevalent topic than line flash. Interesting :p

wobbly face

It will only spook the fish if they see it. Sunlight and angles, we may see it stood above the water, fish lower down may not, or they may see it more! It is easy enough to avoid. Another source of flash can be spectacles, watches, snips, forceps or other items handing or pinned to you.
You can get matt rods, yet the wraps on the eyes/guide/rings tend to still be gloss.
Fullers earth on leaders and tippet or use less glossy tippet, camo types.
I agree in keeping false casts to a minimum, not just because of flash but sudden quick movement, shadows all spook fish.
Some will say it doesn't matter that much, plenty of people catch fish with flashy tackle but I believe in doing my best to stack the odds in my favour. ;)

BobP

Dick Walker wrote about line flash back in the late '60's after he said he saw it at Grafham. I'm not sure about it, but I definitely go along with keeping false casting to an absolute minimum. The more you are waggling that stick around the more likely you are to get into trouble with it. In experienced rods very often feel that "just one more false cast and I'll get it an extra yard." What usually happens is that the fly lands two yards closer in than if they had released three false casts ago!

Also, I am certain that fish in very clear water will see that line sailing through the air. I've seen grayling shoals scatter on the upper Itchen because they have seen the flyline in the air.

Paul_B

Just forget about line flash for a moment (its not a problem the fish I've caught have had a problem with),
However, you can only ever catch fish if the fly is in the water, while the fly is being wafted about in the air no fish will bite it. It may dry the fly, but it won't catch a fish until it hits the water.

I whaft the fly in the air to dry it too :)

jaybeegee

There’s a film on YouTube “The Underwater World of Trout”. Part three is about trout vision and is well worth a watch. I’d post a link, but l don’t know how.

B

taffy1

Falkus wrote that false casting was the curse of fly fishing, even at night while chasing his sea trout. Not so much I suppose regarding any flash in pitch darkness but more so, regarding what is passing back & fore over & above the fish's head. Silhouettes can even be seen during the night.

Cap'n Fishy

As a newbie to fly fishing I've been self teaching myself alot and doing endless research. Unfortunately it can be a minefield of conflicting opinions and misinformation at times and I've found it difficult to establish some solid facts to shed some light on questions I've had so I usually like to post those questions here from time to time to get a general feel on something.

So with that being said; what's your opinion on this?

I seen this article today and I have up until now never heard of anyone mention line flash and from a quick google search I couldn't see any other sources corroborating it.

So what do you think, can the light reflecting of our leaders after too many false casts spook the fish? It seems sensible and plausible enough but I thought i'd throw this out there and see what you guys thought :unsure:
From a boat fisher's perspective, I always keep false casting and all casting to an absolute minimum when fishing dry fly at close range to rising fish. I see plenty fish spook when they catch sight of me casting to them. It doesn't matter if it was the rod, the line, or my arm, but it was one of those. I'm talking about fish that rise just a few of yards from the boat. You might see them spook away, or they were rising, rising, rising... until I cast to them... and then they simply don't appear again and I know they spotted me. If I can... I will try to keep the rod low and out to the side to minimise the chances of being spotted. Sometimes that works, but you still have to put the line through the air to them, and sometimes you still spook them.

Col

Last edited:

taffy1

What we have to remember is that these fish we are trying to capture, are fully aware of where they could be under threat or danger. Anything out of what they expect sure-fire puts them under serious suspicion to say the least.

original cormorant

Sure I will avoid a new rod with a glossy finish but I'm not absolutely sure that flash is an issue. Waving rods and wafting lines do spook fish, but are they more likely to be spooked if there is flash?

Cap'n Fishy

Sure I will avoid a new rod with a glossy finish but I'm not absolutely sure that flash is an issue. Waving rods and wafting lines do spook fish, but are they more likely to be spooked if there is flash?
I'm certainly convinced they are spooked by flash from a gloss-finish floating line. Saw it happening and cured it by switching to a matt finish floating line. ;)

Col

Dru91

Thanks for all your input, its interesting to see different insights and opinions and how the subject matter pertains to different scenarios and situations. I will be keeping an eye on my false casts from now on as its something as a beginner I tend to do too much while trying to get the hang of the casting side of things and I didn't realise I could be scaring off fish just by doing that!

JohnH

Many of the predatory threats to fish come at them from the sky; herons, ospreys and even humans. So being very wary indeed about what's above them is almost certainly inherited and instinctive risk-averse behaviour. I too have seen fish spooked by excessive false casting right over them and by rod flash, specially on a sunny day. But it's surprising how close to fish an angler can get, and indeed catch, when wading in the water quite close to them. I accept it and am grateful for the fact, but the surprise to me is because other predatory threats are right there in the water, the obvious examples being otters and pike as well as me !

easker1

before Falkus wrote about false casting an early American Author wrote about it, something like "if you have to false cast more than twice, give it up and go home, Lefty Krehs water cast saves any false casting for me, I can usually get where I want to be in one( it's not that far really) easker1

taffy1

before Falkus wrote about false casting an early American Author wrote about it, something like "if you have to false cast more than twice, give it up and go home, Lefty Krehs water cast saves any false casting for me, I can usually get where I want to be in one( it's not that far really) easker1
Very much so, I bet they were not the only anglers throughout time that had noticed this. Nothing new in flyfishing. Merely observations.

ohanzee

Many of the predatory threats to fish come at them from the sky; herons, ospreys and even humans.
I think this is the more important point, rather than just light reflecting, any movement in the sky above, they have evolved to be aware of things approaching from the sky so any quick movement is an osprey to their genetic warning systems.
But dull is always be better than shiny when hunting a creature with eyes.

Latest posts