Line rating / weight for old split cane rod

revo

Hi All

Any idea how you work out the line rating / weight for an old split cane rod? It's 9'2" long, a foot of which is handle. I've tried a #7 (which was OK) and a #4 (which seemed to shoot better but was prone to collapsing on the backcast; my faulty technique I think).

Is there a system? Do they all take one (e.g. a #5)? Or is trial and error the only way?

Thanks

Cooperman

I had exactly the same issue with my Chapman Chess rod. The Common Cents System was found to be of great help in determining the rod characteristics and a good guide for line weight although I would agree with ‘three rivers ‘
The Sameo you tube video ‘Finding it hard to choose the right line for your rod ‘ is well worth a look, as is www.common-cents.info/ and www.sameo.se/ccs.php will also help as a quick calculator once you have carried out the necessary rod flex/ weight method. Very easy to do by the way. You will then just about have all you need to know about the rod in question.

PaulD

There's a transfer on the butt that says "Supplied By [? ?] Crudgington Fishing Tackle And Gunsmith 7 Green Street Bath Tel Bath 4[????]" No maker though
In which case, it's a matter of trial. More than likely, it will work well with an AFTM 6 but basically, anything you feel comfortable with and what's appropriate to where and how you're going to fish it.

BobP

Crudgington's was a well known tackle dealer in Bath. They closed quite recently, but I believe they still have an on-line presence so it might be worth seeing if you can email them and ask them about it.