Line Recomendations Of Lines For Sage SLT 9FT6 #6 Weight

garrynic

Hi Guys
I have just bought the rod described in the title.
Does anybody have any recomendations for a floating/intermediate and sinking line for this rod for fishing off the bank on stillwaters?
Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers
Garry

Elwyman

The SLT range were great rods. I never owned one, but people using them used to sing their praises. I cast a few, they had a nice easy action, not the fastest of the Sage range. In my experience, the line rating of Sage rods is usually accurate.

andygrey

In my experience, the line rating of Sage rods is usually accurate.
Until the TCR!!
I agree though, nice rods and at the risk of making this my answer to every 'what line...?' question - Barrio GT90! They only do a floater or inter and as I rarely fish them couldn't really comment on a suitable sinker.

mrnotherone

I have the 8ft 4wt SLT and it casts true to the rating. I'm currently using a Barrio Smallstream and Snowbee XS Hi float with it and both are excellent.

skajtrout

Hi Garry,

Floater - Maxcatch Gold, hugely popular on here for a reason - ridiculously good for the money. actually it would still be ridiculously good if it cost five times as much.

Intermediate -trust me on this, buy one of these:

Sinker - has to be Airflo again. There are very few absolutes in fly fishing but Airflo make the best sinking lines is one of them. Get the latest Sixth Sense which has two hang markers, as good as sinkers get. Simple as that.

Skaj

garrynic

Thanks for all the replys guys
Ive read some good things about the Maxcatch lines, i also own a Barrio smallstream in a #3 which i am very happy with.
Whould there be any advantage of overloading the rod with a #7 weight or would it be better to stick to a #6?
Cheers

Mrtrout

Hi Garry, as said the SLT is pretty true to its weight, I used a Maxcatch floater on mine and it was great.
cant comment on inters or sinkers as I very rarely use them.
enjoy the rod.
S.

garrynic

Why would you want to overload the rod?
I dont know
Hence the question
I have some fairly high banks behind me on the water i fish, so maybe it would load quicker and cast a bit easier in this situation.
As i say i dont know and im just asking for some advice

loxie

I use a cortland sylk 6wt on mine. I'm a great fan of the SLT, I've got 2 9' 6" 8wts, a 9' 6" 6wt, a 9' 5wt and a 9'4wt and all cast perfectly with the stated weight lines, for me at least.

garrynic

I use a cortland sylk 6wt on mine. I'm a great fan of the SLT, I've got 2 9' 6" 8wts, a 9' 6" 6wt, a 9' 5wt and a 9'4wt and all cast perfectly with the stated weight lines, for me at least.
Thanks Mate
Good to know that.
I must say you seem to like your SLTs
Cheers

speytime

When it's windy and I'm fishing from the boat I use a 7wt on my 6# rod.
On my 7wt a use a 7wt barrio slx which is equivalent weight of a 9wt line 15g.

With regards to lines what Skaj said.

Al

PaulD

I dont know
Hence the question
I have some fairly high banks behind me on the water i fish, so maybe it would load quicker and cast a bit easier in this situation.
As i say i dont know and im just asking for some advice
As a number of people have already said, the SLT is a true reflection of the line weight written on the butt and the weight difference between the front 30ft (minus the level tip) of a 6 wt and a 7 wt line is minimal - 6wt = 10.42g, 7wt = 11.99g - about 1.5g over 30ft. If your fishing is characterised by fishing in front of steep banks and the opportunity to extend line in the backcast is limited then choosing an appropriate line profile would be more helpful than simply increasing the line size.

If you look at this diagram you will see that although each line is a weight forward, they may all be the same 'weight' but the profiles are very different. In your case, where the backcast may be restricted, the choice of a line where the profile means that the forward taper, body and rear taper is focussed predominantly in the first 30 or so feet would probably be a good idea.

IMG_1031.JPG

pati

I would try a Lee Wulff TT or an Orvis Pro Trout. Great profile ideal for tricky casts and roll casts, very delicate presentation but still able to punch out a heavier fly a long distance

PaulD

If we are talking about 'overlining' rather than 'overloading'... because sometimes it works better for the caster!
Indeed, in certain circumstances 'overlining' can offer a real advantage - where your casting distance is well under 30ft, fishing pocket water, confined streams etc. However, our poster, garrynic, is concerned about achieving workable distance with high banks behind him and we all know that 'weight' isn't a guarantee of distance, we can all throw a tennis ball further than a rugby ball, a heavier fly line doesn't mean, of necessity a longer cast. Hence my suggestion to perhaps look at a 6wt line with a favourable taper. The Lee Wulff TT is worth considering.

sewinbasher

I would try a Lee Wulff TT or an Orvis Pro Trout. Great profile ideal for tricky casts and roll casts, very delicate presentation but still able to punch out a heavier fly a long distance
I have a SLT in 9' 5wt and it casts well with Wulff TT, Wychwood Charles Jardine and Barrio Small Stream.

PaulD

Now that's a can of worms!
Well, if you look at the BFCC senior distance records the 'can' ain't that big . . .

5wt - 138' 3" - 9.07g
7wt - 146' 6" - 11.99g
9wt - 148 3" - 15.55g

. . . 10ft over 4 line sizes in competition conditions.

Mr Normal Angler isn't going to guarantee himself extra distance by using a fly line that's 4 sizes larger and which weighs the same as a 10p piece more. We choose our line sizes to suit where, how and the the conditions within which we're fishing. Distance is only one variable and not reliant on weight.