Line recommendation, please

willie_r

I've just completed my first build, a Bloke XLSG 6'6" in a 3 weight.
I'm looking for a suitable line for my local river.
It's a freestone river, mostly not wide, some overhanging trees in places, high banks in others.
The line is likely to be subjected to some rough and tumble.
Do I cough up for a name line, or use cheap mill-end lines that I won't cry over if it get's ruined?

speytime

Maxcatch gold £10 comparable to snowbee xs+ barrio Gt only more supple than both.
I see your in Livingston, if you want to try one once this blows over your welcome, I'm in East calder.

Al

mackiia1

I've just completed my first build, a Bloke XLSG 6'6" in a 3 weight.
I'm looking for a suitable line for my local river.
It's a freestone river, mostly not wide, some overhanging trees in places, high banks in others.
The line is likely to be subjected to some rough and tumble.
Do I cough up for a name line, or use cheap mill-end lines that I won't cry over if it get's ruined?
I like the Wychwood Connect Feather Down Lines - lovely Olive colour, float well and no memory.
You should get one for about £20 to £25 - maybe cheaper if you have a good look on the internet.

willie_r

Maxcatch gold £10 comparable to snowbee xs+ barrio Gt only more supple than both.
I see your in Livingston, if you want to try one once this blows over your welcome, I'm in East calder.

Al
That would be good. My season ticket is looking like £15 down the Sw --er- Almond.
The only thing is the length of time stuff takes to come from China just now.
I've ordered stuff from China which took less than 2 weeks to reach me, back in the day.

speytime

What weight are you looking for?

I can almost guarantee, you won't be disappointed.
I've removed a snowbee xs+ nano coat blah blah in favour of the maxcatch gold, if i pull both of there reels the Snowbee has a little more memory.
Eta
I don't have a small stream but it's purpose made for our local, there very popular.

Al

2306chris

Barrio Small Stream are good, I have a #3, I think I paid £28. Only thing is they are closed currently due to Covid-19

JayP

I like the Wychwood Connect Feather Down Lines - lovely Olive colour, float well and no memory.
You should get one for about £20 to £25 - maybe cheaper if you have a good look on the internet.
Another thumbs up for the Wychwood lines 👍

Last edited:

willie_r

What weight are you looking for?

I can almost guarantee, you won't be disappointed.
I've removed a snowbee xs+ nano coat blah blah in favour of the maxcatch gold, if i pull both of there reels the Snowbee has a little more memory.
Eta
I don't have a small stream but it's purpose made for our local, there very popular.

Al
A 3 weight

willie_r

I can try ordering a #3 from Maxcatch. Once I check which currency is the cheapest to use.

7x57

Another thumbs up for the barrio small stream. I have it in 3 weight, I think they are the best lines barrio make.

And service is really good.

pedros

Get a DT line? If its going to get some hammer then you can just turn the line around, also super delicate for small streams. If you just doing little rolls and flicks then a DT is perfect

andygrey

Get a DT line? If its going to get some hammer then you can just turn the line around, also super delicate for small streams. If you just doing little rolls and flicks then a DT is perfect
Ah!! The great DT debate rears it's ugly head again!

geordie41

Melbourne Australia or Newcastle upon Tyne .
Scientific Angler VPT is a excellent line but a little pricey, the Cortland Sylk is also a good line but a little on the light side . I bought a 4# DT Sylk ended
up using it on a 3# instead of the 4# rod I bought it for .
after reading about all the great reviews I bought a Barrio small stream line in a 3# but haven’t had the chance to use it yet so can’t comment on that one. Scientific Angler mastery trout is another I’d recommend, really nice line thats cheaper than the VPT.
hope that helps

speytime

I think Pedro's has a fair point its 2 lines essentially, if it's purely for the river why not?
How often are you cast 20/30ft+taper on a smallish river.

Al