Line snips.

GEK79

Looking to get a good quality line snips but can’t bring myself to spend £50 on Simms ones- keep losing them- any recommendations, preferably with replaceable blades?
Thanks
I have a lanyard on my simms nippers.. Lots of great choices here..

speytime

For the river i've a 3.5" pair of forceps/scissors that hang around my neck with my snips, the small forceps are normally sufficient to unhook fish, there also handy for pulling knots and hooking flies into for tightening, they also cut the heavy nylon that I inevitably find on the banks, there pricless, I've bought a couple of spare pairs because I'd hate to be without them now.

Al

icejohn

Yeah your problem is you keep loosing them. To go with abel or the more expensive line snips you need a gear keeper retractor. They not cheap but worth their weight in gold.

Paul_B

With line clippers/snips you can pull the tag end tight before squeezing them more and cutting it off, nail clippers work well but can be a nuisance on a lanyard or pinned to a vest, as they can catch the line in windy weather, however nail clippers are easier to work with cold wet hands.
I use the expensive £3 squeeze type in summer and £1.50 nail clippers in cold wet weather, both cut well
oh and I don't fear loosing them:)

sean freeman

I use an Abel pair with a lanyard around my neck, love them and always at hand. Would be hard to misplace them when around your neck too. (y)

geenomad

For fresh water I want something that will cut line and trim flies occasionally. Weapon of choice is a pair of folding thread snips which I sharpen occasionally. They hang from a coiled flexible "lanyard". For me nippers have limited functionality.

For saltwater and with heavy line and braid I use a pair of Dr Slick combo forceps and scissors. These are a bit of a faff to undo with one hand if like me you are left handed. If I were right handed these would be all I carried anywhere.

Variable mileage, as ever.

Cheers
Mark

easker1

If you watch April Vokeys fly tying Video you will see her trimming with a pair of nail clippers, some where in my tackle I have a Hardys fishermans friend, with all the bells and whistles you would need, you might find one at a Boot sale, easker1

Spider

Nice ones from Maxcatch there Steve. I wasted about a tenner buying a set of nippers recently from NI. Gape too big and they felt tinny. I have a good pair of tiemco but can't source the same pair any more and they aren't as sharp as before. Where are Maxcatch based lads?

sean freeman

Nice ones from Maxcatch there Steve. I wasted about a tenner buying a set of nippers recently from NI. Gape too big and they felt tinny. I have a good pair of tiemco but can't source the same pair any more and they aren't as sharp as before. Where are Maxcatch based lads?
China, might take a few weeks/months to arrive but it’s cheap an decent quality. Not for me but can see why they’re hugely popular!

tangled

Wait for Christmas, I get three every year from Christmas crackers.