Line weights

3lbgrayling

Yes.but you will have to have a lot of line out of the rod tip to get the rod to load.and if it's a WF line you'll have to try to hold up the running line.(never easy)
Why do you want to do this. ??

Jim

PaulD

The number on the rod (7) indicates it should cast well with around 30ft of the body of a 7wt line outside the rod tip, the problem will be that with a 5wt line, as Jim above says, is that you'll be well past the 30ft mark and, if it's a weight forward line, you'll be attempting to cast with the thin shooting line outside the rod tip and if you're an inexperienced caster that's a recipe for disappointment.

BobP

You could do it with a double taper. If I went fishing and found I had brought a #7 rod in error and only had a #5 line would I just go home or do the best I could with what I had? There's only one answer to that.

Would I do it from choice? Not flaming likely!

tangled

I once tackled up in the car park and walked a mile down hill to the lake only to find that I'd put a #5 weight line on a #7 weight rod. I really couldn't be ar$ed walking all the way back so I tried a cast. It worked fine. I wouldn't want to fish like that every day, but it worked. What line weight a rod is is not an exact science and lines aren't always spot on weight - and you can adapt.

gwyndavies

I still have a Sue Burgess Diamondback rod from the mid seventies which is rated 6/7/8/9, yes four different line ratings, this was when most lines were DT with FT lines still in their infancy.
The rod has a soft action especially by today's standards but I stiil use it with a 6DT floating line as my go to rod for dry fly/nymphs......I've also used it with a lead core shooting head fishing all day at Blagdon without feeling it wasn't the right rod for the job.....so yes, in agreement with the above posts a DT would be the best line, but the rod action will also play a big part in whether it's a success or otherwise and the softer the better.

taffy1

It's usually rumoured a rod casts a weight below or up to 2 weights above it's line rating. In theory it all comes down to the amount of line aerialised(to create the necessary weight to load that particular rod) outside your rod tip. As already mentioned, a double taper line would probably do this for you.

GEK79

Yes, I've got one too, mines a 9ft with a rating of 4 to 7. I did catch a 7lb salmon with it and a 5DT from the Teifi . . . I was fishing for sewin during the day!
The rod my dad gave me to start me relive with fly fishing is a Bob Church 4-7 wt and u have a 5wt DT on the vision reel he gave me.. I enjoy using it..

sewinbasher

I also had a Diamondback and consider the multiple AFTM ratings a nonsense, mine only worked well for one line rating as all logic would suggest. Of course it would work to some extent with a line either side and it's true to say that line ratings are not always accurate but there's no way a rod rated for 4wt will cast a 7wt with any degree of acceptability or vice versa but line slightly heavier than the rod rating is always the better option than the other way round.

speytime

it's true to say that line ratings are not always accurate but there's no way a rod rated for 4wt will cast a 7wt with any degree of acceptability.
I use a 8ft 4# shakey agility rise which imo is quite a soft action with a shs spey line, the head is 33ft @12g its very near a 7wt.
it overhead casts really well, you don't even have to be gentle with it, adding a haul or two isn't a problem, however I can understand why you would think that I didn't expect it to perform the way it does.

Al