lines for cane rods

karlpolly10

Hi all, i am about to order my first cane rod and need some advice as to which line to use with it, would love some advice , it will be a 5wt medium action rod and i am looking for some advice on floating lines, dt or wf brand ect,regards karl

rusty

Hi Karl,
I suggest you look at bannisterrods first. They have #4 and #5 lines for cane rods at £18.50 a go.
As a cane rod maker Luke ought to be be able to offer advice.
Another option is is to try some of your existing lines on it and come to your own conclusions.
Only you know your likes and applications.
You may be entering a lifetime quest!!
Rusty

karlpolly10

Thanks Rusty, i will look at bannisterrods, that seems like a good price, ufortunately i havent got any lines in that size to try hence the reason i am asking advice.

Uncas

DT-5 - S/A 406 lines or Cortland 444 - Sylk or 444 standard peach line
I find most cane rods like a double taper, and when one end wears out you can change to the other end two for the price of one.

stevel

I think it all depends on the rod. I have some contemporary hollowed rods, and they are very good with modern SA MPX lines.
When I had my Garrison 206 made by Gary Marshall, I used silk on that, a 4.5 Terenzio DT was perfect.

splinters

In my opinion any decent line developed for river use will do your job perfectly well. I use a dt silk on the river and a John Norris cheapo wf on both my saltwater rods. It's all good. Modern bamboo tapers will handle any line you put on them. I notice the lines Mr. Bannister sells are wf. As stated upthread dt's will get you two for the price of one. Just buy the make of line you like best.
Simon.

pati

Phœnix Silk for me if you go for silk

Cortland Sylk or Lee Wulff Triangle Taper if you go for plastic

As to 4 or 5, DT or WF, impossible to say not knowing the rod and your preferences... These days I tend to go for DT or TT, unless throwing big monstrosities like articulated streamers