Lines I have Known

willie_r

The mighty woolworths I don't remember fishing stuff but remember the shop
Livingston used to have a Woolco store.
Woolworths on steroids. It sold just about everything.
I bought an Olympus OM10 camera from there.

JohnH

Livingston used to have a Woolco store.
Woolworths on steroids. It sold just about everything.
I bought an Olympus OM10 camera from there.
Similarly there was a Woolco store in north-west Bournemouth. Very good - records, magazines, fishing kit, clothes were all well worth looking at.

original cormorant

Masterline - I think it was a masterline fast sinking line which came complete with backing. There were two spools in the pack the flyline and the backing which was a light brown colour. It may still be on a spool somewhere it's the only backing I ever had that colour.

sage5

I honestly think i
I think my line was a pale green intermediate, I still have the box, easker1
Back in the late sixties , I used to buy most of my fly fishing materials from Mc Hardy's of Carlisle, great shop to deal with, used to buy part built fly rods, and also mill end lines, that caught me loads of trout, loads of Brownies

loxie

If it's still supple I'll take it off you at the original price!
you can have it! If the NC rivers are open in July I'll drop it off, if not I'll post it. It sat on a shelf in my shop unloved and unwanted for probably 20 years and has spent 15 in a drawer in my gun room. I've never opened the box!!

Iberian

I found a pack of Winfield swivels recently lurking in a far corner of an old tackle box....
Not even opened, either.
One of my first rods was a Woolworth 9`, 6/7 two-piece bought in the Woolworth in Pwllheli back in 1977, which cost £7 if I recall correctly. It was accompanied by a Rimfly king-size reel and a DT7F Garcia line and was involved in the formative moments in my flyfishing life, from catching my first fish on wet fly (a tiny salmon parr) to my first river brown trout and to my first river brown trout that was above the 7 inch legal size limit. It lasted me a couple of seasons of all-purpose fishing (worming, light spinning as well as fly-fishing) until I smashed the top section on a branch.

Wee Jimmy

Arthur Cove told me that their 6lb bs nylon was pretty good and was great value ,sure if i dug deep emough I might find a near empty spool.
It was a bright blue colour if I remember correctly.The woolies selection of silver spoons were great for pike on my local canal.They were red with a white wavy stripe down the centre. They also had some right ropey flies....like bumble bees with red wings...😂

Lewis Chessman

Garcia Mitchell Longbelly was my first reservoir floating fly line.Designed I think by Lee Wulff. Good line in its time.

JP
Quite likely, JCP. Lee Wulff was a Garcia representative for some years - late '60s/early '70s sound right?

I can't remember what lines I started with in the early '70s but I'm now damned sure they didn't match my Milbro fly rod and were far too light. It took me years to learn to throw a decent length!
I still have a couple spooled on basic Daiwa reels - Shakespeare 'Glider', perhaps? Whatever was cheapest at the time, that's for sure. ;)

Was 'Galion' always a Leeda product? I have a nagging thought that 'Galion' was related to a French company but I'm probably wrong.

I still have the grip and reel from my very first rod, a short, solid glass coarse rod from '66, Woolies, I suspect. The reel was originally held by rubber 'O' rings now long rotted away. I remember watching my father catch a perch on a worm from a muddy brown park pond in Bristol and was transfixed. A whole new world I had never envisaged was opened to me that day and has absorbed me ever since.

1-P1030190.JPG

easker1

Mchardys and Mullarkeys my favourite shops I used to buy rod blanks from Mchardys Lines and rods from Mullarkey, I have a feeling my Gallion line came from Mullarkeys,at the time it was the only place I bought lines from,I was in New Orleans and found a Woolworths On South Rampart Street, it was enormous it was the biggest shop I have ever seen it made UK woolies look minute, easker1

JCP

Quite likely, JCP. Lee Wulff was a Garcia representative for some years - late '60s/early '70s sound right?

I can't remember what lines I started with in the early '70s but I'm now damned sure they didn't match my Milbro fly rod and were far too light. It took me years to learn to throw a decent length!
I still have a couple spooled on basic Daiwa reels - Shakespeare 'Glider', perhaps? Whatever was cheapest at the time, that's for sure. ;)

Was 'Galion' always a Leeda product? I have a nagging thought that 'Galion' was related to a French company but I'm probably wrong.

I still have the grip and reel from my very first rod, a short, solid glass coarse rod from '66, Woolies, I suspect. The reel was originally held by rubber 'O' rings now long rotted away. I remember watching my father catch a perch on a worm from a muddy brown park pond in Bristol and was transfixed. A whole new world I had never envisaged was opened to me that day and has absorbed me ever since.

Yes Louis dates are right.Reels were Garcia Mitchell Autos which are still here 😁

Lewis Chessman

@ JCP: You might like to watch this video with Lee & Joan salmon fishing in Nova Scotia, both fishing Garcia reels, though not automatics. No idea what lines though! :)

ohanzee

The oddly named 'Professional' I think was the cheapest, pale blue with a 10' head, £9.00, great line.

Lewis Chessman

Cheers, ohanzee. They're back home on the island at the mo so somewhat out of reach. The floater is tan - and probably a very good Slinky after all these years on the reel. ;)

Curiously, 'Galion' is French for 'Galleon' so maybe I'm not wrong about an earlier connection to France.

running bear

North County Dublin, but always a South Down man
I had a gallon floater for years, it was the first line I could cast to the backing (it was a bit short!).
My first sinker was a Shakespeare professional DT6 in brown, still have it and it looks still useable, as does the JW Young 1530W it’s on. Caught my first salmon on that setup.
The best value IMHO were the gliders, a step up in quality and I still have streamer heads cut from DT gliders, indeed I even bought some really old ones from Jim’s Online last year just because I know they will do what I need of them.