little winged spider for summer

doobrysnatcher

size 14 red spinner for those hot summer eves on the river
redspinner14.jpg
redspinner 1 b.jpg

doobrysnatcher

Nice neat flies!
thanks 4wings theres still plenty room for improvement but i think i am progressing , most of the spiders i posted in the last few weeks ive never seen in real life and some ive never even seen a picture ,so now mostly im winging it excuse pun

mackiia1

Add this one to your collection Doobry.
This fly is just brilliant when the river is fining down after a flood - when it has that brownish/copper tinge colour to the water. Works all year round .Smaller sizes as the year progresses.

Body - Glowbrite #7 Floss
Rib - Gold Wire
Hackle- Black Hen

Attachments

• Orange and Black.jpg
    Orange and Black.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 22

doobrysnatcher

Add this one to your collection Doobry.
This fly is just brilliant when the river is fining down after a flood - when it has that brownish/copper tinge colour to the water. Works all year round .Smaller sizes as the year progresses.

Body - Glowbrite #7 Floss
Rib - Gold Wire
Hackle- Black Hen

thanks heres one i did
blk and orange spider.jpg

and 1 i knocked out un tested
the 2 tone partridge
2tone partridge 4g.jpg

lurex partridge 2 tone.jpg

lurex partridge.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

baca157

according yo malcolm greenhalgh book / phamplet spider guide its a winged spider
My apologies. Didn’t know that.

Out of curiosity, what makes it a winged spider rather than a wet fly? I always thought that what makes spider a spider is the lack of wing.

Another lesson learned

Cheers,
Sebastian

doobrysnatcher

i hear what your saying, when i read it i was suprised also, but as he says its a winged spider ,its a winged spider ,:unsure:

wjg

Thanks so much iain. Spiders were always a bit of a mystery to me. Was it imitative or just the movement that made them so successfully? The penny finally dropped when I saw the cripple "posed" like that.

iainmortimer

Thanks so much iain. Spiders were always a bit of a mystery to me. Was it imitative or just the movement that made them so successfully? The penny finally dropped when I saw the cripple "posed" like that.

You’re very welcome and glad it helped. Form what I can understand spiders were originally fished upstream too rather than the across and down more typically used today.

grey duster

You’re very welcome and glad it helped. Form what I can understand spiders were originally fished upstream too rather than the across and down more typically used today.
They most certainly were and that's how they're best fished when fish are rising on freestone rivers - or into pocket water. Oliver Edwards shows this beautifully in his video series. They still are..

jaybeegee

Certainly in the dales rivers it’s the traditional method and making a bit of a comeback now, due in part at least to the likes of Oliver Edwards, Lawrence Catlow and others.

B

Latest posts