llangollen

scottratt

Can anyone give me some tips and advice please on best places to fish the dee around llangollen

BroAngler

Be very careful is my advice! Had a trip with a couple of other forum chaps and although we were getting some fish lower down the river we struggled with the force of the water and sudden drop offs.
Eventually we found more relaxing fishing in the middle beat above horshoe falls. We definitely could have done with some local knowledge ourselves.

luke troutstalker

As stated, be carefull, and take a staff if you can. I have fished it twice now on different stretches, and both times there were occasions where my underpants looked like the start line at Santa Pod :eek:

There's a good stretch downstream of Llangollen where the canal crosses over on an aqueduct that's got some nice water below it. Horseshoe falls itself is a beast of a place, if the levels are good you can get out onto a series of islands that sit just below the wier, and fish the water inbetween them.

BroAngler

I liked the flat water above the falls. Loads of room for your back cast from R bank and you can target fish at long range.
As stated above though I think it would be a worth spending on a guide.

flickupflickback

Its an awesome river with easy wading once your in but the power of the river is the awkward part the bottom is mainly gravel tho so just be cautious

CHASING THE LADIES LIVING THE DREAM

welshfisher88

As already mentioned here, the river below the falls down to the aqueduct can be quite tricky to fish.

I have found the water above the Horseshoe falls to be hard fishing at times due to the fishing pressure it gets. Having said that I have had many a good Grayling and Trout from the riffles and pocket water that many miss out while fishing this stretch. I think it is trickle stocked with browns by the angling club, but I have yet to catch any stocked fish in this stretch...(?)

The Water around the aqueduct can be prolific, particularly the glide above where upstream dries and nymphing can work particularly well (up to Trevor bridge).

It's best to wait for settled water if you are new to the river as it can be very tricky to wade in places.

I shall post next time I am planning to get out on the water just in case there are any forum members who would like to meet up.

spinnerman

I have fished in and around Llangollen for 20 years, it is not easy wading, even when you get above the falls there is only one long easy-ish section, the rest can be lethal, I have pulled more people out of the water around Llangollen than anywhere else.

Just be careful and tread very carefully

Chris

Last edited:

carl r

I fish the Llangollen water quite a bit and can often be seen out and about when the river is in flood. The Dee is great water to wade with a safe gravel bottom, the main issues at the moment are debris from the winter floods and under current, and its the under currents that will get you, locally its well know for being a dangerous river to swim in because of the under current, I'm still surprised how high it is at the moment, 0.64 is still quite high and quick if you don't know the water.

BroAngler

I fish the Llangollen water quite a bit and can often be seen out and about when the river is in flood. The Dee is great water to wade with a safe gravel bottom, the main issues at the moment are debris from the winter floods and under current, and its the under currents that will get you, locally its well know for being a dangerous river to swim in because of the under current, I'm still surprised how high it is at the moment, 0.64 is still quite high and quick if you don't know the water.
Funny, you seem to have found that the river has a safe gravel bottom whilst everyone else remarks of the obvious dangers. The undercurrents I am sure are a valid point but best not to end up in the drink to begin with:thumbs:

luke troutstalker

Can anyone give me some tips and advice please on best places to fish the dee around llangollen
Did you get over there? Any good?

I have a visit to wrexham tommorrow, so I'm going for an other bash. Level looks to be at the bottom of the green section on the gauge, so hopefully shouldn't be too lairy.

HarryTom

Re safe wading below Llangollen

I fished 3 stretches yesterday. River was at 0.70 level and running clear.

I fished with a friend - his waders studded felt soles, mine cleated rubber (Snowbee Granite).

Mine were lovely and warm and worked OK in the first slow moving stretch I waded.

The next stretch I tried to follow my friend downriver but my boots were sliding every step and the sheer force of the current made me retread my steps very slowly back to the bankside. My friend waded on up to his waist.

I was very glad I had a wading staff - they are absolutely essential. But take great care especially if you have rubber soles on your waders. I won't be going out in them again

I am going to either get new studded felt soled waders , or as the ones I have are virtually unused I may well buy some wader studs and screw them in or buy some Snowbee Rockhopper wader grips (about a tenner) which you can apparently clip on over any soles.

Good luck

magicman

Reading the posts on wading the Welsh Dee, Iwas amazed at the posting that states the Dee is safe as it has a gravelly bed. The Dee on the Llan/maelor section (about 10miles) has A very Diverse bed ranging from silt, stones varied in size from small pebbles to large rocks and boulders, slabs which be very slippery with deep drop offs. There are deep channels with fast currents and undercurrents even in lower water. Felts soles or felts sole with studded heals are desirable, wearing just the rubber cleated soles is asking for a ducking. A staff is essential. The length above Horseshoe on the RH bank is ok in lower water,, however the LH bank below Llantysilio church has slabs with drop offs. Very dangerous. As Chris says the Dee can be a very dangerous river and you could end up being pulled out. When the level gets towards 70 you can certainly feel more force. Go with someone who knows the river or in summer when it's low 49/ 50's and sus out the safer wading spots. Better still book a river guide, or join the club and get to know the wonderful Dee. It's not far from you and cheap. Both Corwen and Llan.