Llyn Clywedog 08

Red Diawl

Hi all first post! Saw on another thread a few anglers asking about Areas and stocking for Clywedog. Well seen as iv got my finger almost on the pulse! Here is a little info. Pre season stocking is 500 brown 3500 rainbow 1.5lb - 2.5lb. Well spread over the top half of the lake. This season we have approx 23000 to go in with 10% between 3lb - 5lb. Over the winter we have been very busy replacing all our old square wooden cages with more of the pvc round ones with another to come end March. With the additional space we are hoping to greatly increase stocking for the 09 season. One point that i will realease here is that there will be a roped off no fishing area around the cages from this year. This is to prevent flies and lines being snagged on the nets and the additional ropes placed around the new cages. Hopefully i will be able to post you regular updates and info as the season goes on.

Tightlines see you all opening day

Russ

Apachie

Thanks 4 the report red diawl sounds like it should be a good start to the season. a little concerned about the no fishing around the cages do u think this will have an efect on the catching of those big fish that we saw last year?:)

Clywedog Giggsy

I was wondering if you got on here Russ, Im just getting back into it after too many years on the golf (about 15 to be exact) cant believe how much it has moved on since then,Cant wait to get back up there (me and the old man will be up opening day so will hopefully see you over the coming season). Great article in the TF a few months ago by the way good to see someone local who has achieved so much from a sporting point of view .My main memory of you though is you carrying a big beatbox around the dam listening to Bruce Springsteen on the Llany fishing club sponsored walk.
Thats how long its been I must of been about 12-13 when ipods were not even a thought yet alone breethable fabrics and flourocarbon and straggle fritz. It was a wax jacket and wellies

Anyway Cheers Red Diawl
Wayne Peter (was of Newtown then)

Last edited:

Red Diawl

Good point raised Apachie. My own thoughts are that the big fish should still be caught as i think they will patrol right around the new nets thus exposing them selves to be caught. But even last year plenty of the big fish were caught away from the cages area. A 16lb bow was taken at the top of the bigga and we don 't stock any fish of near that wieght so i think somthing just goes click in their heads somtimes and they wonder of, the breakwater by the boats always produces big fish as does eblid. So over all i think it will have little impact only those angles who hug the side of the cage will feal the change!:(
Yes Giggsy good to see you back from the darkside. You' ll be draging your old fellar up on opening day, be cerfull he'll be of up to the Star inn at lunch time:)

williams

Clywedog permits

Have today been to purchase my permit for the 2008 season and could not believe it , prices remaining the same as 2007. What excellent value for fishing of superb quality. Can't wait for opening day. Ian

Clywedog Giggsy

williams said:
Have today been to purchase my permit for the 2008 season and could not believe it , prices remaining the same as 2007. What excellent value for fishing of superb quality. Can't wait for opening day. Ian

What is the cost these days Ian, as I said when I was avidly on there I was a junior so obviously the was minimal (especially 20 years ago) What is the price a season now even though living in llansantffraid I may be a little too far to benefit.

williams

clywedog ticket

£ 150 pounds for the season and £6.50 to join llanidloes angling club

Red Diawl

The Barbless Crook. said:
Russ.
Is it still electric motors on Clywedog or has it changed.:confused:
Yes still electric im affraid. Im off to buy 2 new ones tomo ready for tuesday:)

Red Diawl

Forcast looks good for tomo after a frosty start. All the rainbows went in yesterday Sunday and the browns last week spread all round the top end please treat the fish with respect if you are returning them ( an angler was asked to leave last year for dragging the fish up the shore then returnig them!) The Braichyffedw arm was colouerd as far down as the Llwyd but everywere else is clear, alot of overwintered fish have been seen rising at Bwlch y gle. C u tomo :)

Russ

williams

just returned from opening day.

just reurned from clywedog.Although it appeared easy for some people I found the morning difficult with no takes at all. Before lunch moved higher up the Bigae and after only a few casts was into fish, and bagged up within an hour and a half. Fish were clean,full, finned and tail and averaged about 1.5lb and gave a good account of themselves as we have grown to expect for fish from this lake.Can't wait for my next outing, Thursday if weather is suitable. Any body else have anything exiting to report

Red Diawl

williams said:
just reurned from clywedog.Although it appeared easy for some people I found the morning difficult with no takes at all. Before lunch moved higher up the Bigae and after only a few casts was into fish, and bagged up within an hour and a half. Fish were clean,full, finned and tail and averaged about 1.5lb and gave a good account of themselves as we have grown to expect for fish from this lake.Can't wait for my next outing, Thursday if weather is suitable. Any body else have anything exiting to report
Glad u had a good day williams. I didn't get up the bigga myself one of the lads who was on the boat who did go up said the water was abit murky? We started on bigga point and had about 15 to the boat in between 9 and 11 i even managed one around the 4lb mark, then decided to be clever and try the llwyd arm "mistake no fish" back to bigga point and the willows bay another couple then made our way back to the moorings for lunch another couple of fish infront of the breakwater. A quick bacon sarnie on the barbie and a glass of red before trying the cages area lots of fish in this area both myself and boat partner had doubles up drifting through here, what was also interesting was the water clarity from here to the yacht club was excellent a few fish at yacht club then back up to cages by now there were seven boats doing this drift and it had gone off no surprise! swaped partner as my mates from the north (aka half of the humpedbak whale from brenig :) )had to travel home. back up to point of bigga but slow here now so decided to drift carters,cwm coch and eblid had another 8fish each down this side before the death last boat in as usual overall about 25fish and a realy good day thanks to all the lads who traveled down. can't wait to go out tomo with my pops!:) :D

Clywedog Giggsy

How were you fishing gents if I may ask, were the fish pretty deep with this cold snap or supprisingly high up in the water for this early in the season. Much movement on the surface even??

Red Diawl

Clywedog Giggsy said:
How were you fishing gents if I may ask, were the fish pretty deep with this cold snap or supprisingly high up in the water for this early in the season. Much movement on the surface even??
Lots of buzzer hatching and a few fish moving but generally fish about 6ft down di 5 my best line orange and white mini lures!:)

IanG

Russ
I was wondering whether I could have a brief chat with you about the limestone/crushed shell?? project I seem to remember happening a number of years back on Clywedog. Where is the best time/place to get hold of you during the week, if you have a minute or two to spare.

Ta

Ian

Red Diawl

IanG said:
Russ
I was wondering whether I could have a brief chat with you about the limestone/crushed shell?? project I seem to remember happening a number of years back on Clywedog. Where is the best time/place to get hold of you during the week, if you have a minute or two to spare.

Ta

Ian

Ian u have a pm.

Another good day out today a little warmer than yest. Tried the bottom end of the lake this morning got about 10fish 3 of which were overwintered and in truly wonderfull condition. I'v spoke to a few more anglers today to get more of a picture of how the banks have been fishing. The bigga fished very well both today and yest with some great bags i was told there was over 40 anglers on the bank in the bigga yest :eek: and i even heard that fish were being taken on shuttlecocks on the rough side! with plenty of fish moving. I must give it a go Sat if the weather is half decent. I heard of one fish of 5lb taken yest anyone heard of any other good fish being taken?

Clywedog Giggsy

Thanks again Russ, I was thinking of getting to the rough side of the bigga early doors saturday so that has made my mind up, Im bringing a mate up who is only used to small still waters so thought maybe walking through that forrest maybe a bit much first time out but I am now going to give it a go , was hoping it may be a little quieter in over that side also . I hear the gate into the forrestry is now locked is that right , do I have to leave the car up at the gate and walk down or is there a better alternative . Hope to catch you there Russ, lets hope the weather men (and women, especially that really fit irish one off sky news) have got it wrong.

williams

Easter weekend?

Any body venturing out this weekend? Dont think I will be going out this weekend.Bit of a nanny when it comes to going out in the cold.