Llynau Diwaunydd

Gwionhaw

Can anyone tell me who owns the rights to this lake? Does the track go up to the lake or is it a long walk from the main road? Finally how is the torgoch fishing in the lake? Thanks

dids

My knowledge is years old I'm afraid but it's as much as you might get now.

The lakes used to be under Bodalwyddan Game Anglers, back before they joined up with the Vale of Clwyd Angling Club. I used to buy day tickets from the a chap called Joe who used to have Joker's tackle shop in Colwyn bay and get the gate key from there too, but he shut up maybe 7 or 8 years ago which is about when I stopped going as I can't hack the hike up.

You can park by the farmhouse at the bottom of the old forestry commission track and walk up to the lakes, but it's well over a couple of miles each way, and it's not a great walk since they cleared most of the trees some years ago.

I fished here a few times, maybe 7 or 8, and even camped out overnight in the ruins on the lakeshore. Always spin and micro lures. A size 1 Mepps in brass used to clean up here- the brownies were aggressive when they were in the mood to feed up and were up to about 500g. I never did get a Charr.

In recent times the place has become popular with 'wild swimmers', and given the way Snowdonia is generally treated by visitors now I wouldn't be shocked if this has had a pretty negative effect on the fishing there.

Latest posts