Local lockdown fishing

Elwyman

Here in Wales commercial fisheries are closed and we are still restricted to local fishing, which basically means fishing within walking distance of your house.

It's times like this I wish I lived in Montana next to a beautiful river like this.
Screenshot_20210131-165356_Gallery.jpg

Unfortunately my local stretch of the Elwy is less enticing.

Screenshot_20210301-211126_Gallery.jpg

I'm still debating whether to have a wander down there when the trout season opens on 3 March. It's not a bad height, might have an hour with some Czech nymphs.

I know lockdown rules vary around the UK, but let's see your photos of any lockdown fishing venues that you can walk to from your house. I stress walk, not drive.

Gdog

If there are trout in your local river, give it a go. Unfortunately there is nowhere I can fish within our current maximum 5km restriction. Hopefully when the lockdown is over I can post a few photos.

Elwyman

Does lockdown allow fishing in Wales?
Yes, it is classed as exercise which must start and finish at your home, and you can't drive to a place of exercise. I could jump on my bike rather than walk, but I won't.
I'm hoping there will be some relaxation at the next review in mid March....we had a 5 mile limit for driving to exercise last year.

garrynic

Yes, it is classed as exercise which must start and finish at your home, and you can't drive to a place of exercise. I could jump on my bike rather than walk, but I won't.
I'm hoping there will be some relaxation at the next review in mid March....we had a 5 mile limit for driving to exercise last year.
I was under the impression we couldnt fish at all in Wales
Can anybody else confirm this?
Cheers

oldbull

As at 20th February 2021 , latest Welsh Government question & answer guidance on fishing is as follows:
"Can I exercise by going fishing or horse riding?
This is not specifically prohibited. However, you must not drive to get to somewhere to exercise, and the need to carry sports equipment isn’t regarded as a justification on its own for driving in these circumstances. This will mean in practice most people cannot do these things while we are in alert level 4." https://gov.wales/alert-level-4-fre...fEJdxoih-IVPraniKgLva2IokdPktB0#section-58322

Jason 70

Elwyman,

Yeah Montana would be great, although I was looking at an American cane rod forum the other week and a poster mentioned it had been down to -38 at night, but it's Ok as we are 'Montanians'. I couldn't imagine that. Still I suppose I could rough it for the summer months.

kingf000

I have a small river about 15 minutes walk from me. Mainly coarse fish but last week I was trotting for chub with bread flake and caught 2 trout, around 2lb and 3lb! Both very carefully unhooked in the water and returned. Only had 1 small chub about 1lb, but also a roach about 3/4lb and rudd about 1/2lb. I haven't fished it for about 20 years but I'll be going again.

Elwyman

Elwyman,

Yeah Montana would be great, although I was looking at an American cane rod forum the other week and a poster mentioned it had been down to -38 at night, but it's Ok as we are 'Montanians'. I couldn't imagine that. Still I suppose I could rough it for the summer months.
I think I'd overwinter in the Keys and summer in Montana.
Decisions, decisions!