Loch Hope

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Here's mine... 😜

Boxes26Mar19_9130.jpg
I like the look of that puple one ,then i would !

Cap'n Fishy

Wow....bright colours. Personally I had thought such were better for salmon..fab as you find them successful.I had gone for tone silhouette and fuzzy mass and straggly effect with my tying to bring up the sea trout from depths....as darker wet flies seemed to be used traditionally . Used calf tail fox various squirrel other hair for combo's of soft and firm definition and colour emphasis. I felt hair would hold air bubbles .Couple based on big deer hair bodies to suggest a big beetle struggling across the water. Maybe somone could tie similar and see if they work. Cheers.

Whatever works for us, eh? ;) About 50% of the time on the dap I am just using a sombre daddy type like this...

Dapping-daddy_5390.jpg

... and a lot of the rest of the time I will be on a black and red one...

FredAstaire_4675.jpg

So, not especially bright. I tied up those all yellow ones based on reports from one of the guys doing well on the dap with what his boat partner described as a 'bright yellow golf ball'! I also did some with spun WOIGO deer hair hackle to make like a dapping fly version of my favourite WOIGO Kate muddler wet bob fly.

I always try and keep my dapping fly bone-dry, so it dances over the water, rather than dragging. I think the trailing daddy legs add attraction, even when the fly is not trying to imitate a daddy, colour-wise.

But I must say that wet-fly wise, I use mostly bright flies for loch salmon and seatrout. This will be my top team of recent years...

Bob...

KateMuddler_4682.jpg

Middle...

BroraFlies10May19_1443.jpg

Tail - either...

Silver-chief_0036.jpg

... or this...

BroraFlies10May19_1437.jpg

Col

Cap'n Fishy

I like the look of that puple one ,then i would !

I tied a few wets and a few dapping flies with a dash of colour in the arc going from violet to red after we had an 18-man group fish the salmon and seatrout lochs of South Uist for a week. At the end of the week, we all threw our best fly of the week into a circle and had a look for themes. The one that stood out to me was how many had a bit of blue or purple or magenta in them. One of the flies I came up with after that was the blue dabbler in my last post. And it has been a great catcher of salmon and seatrout ever since. It's even available commercially! I always fish it in the middle and you get a feel for when fish are picking out your middle fly... 😜

Col

Reactions: ACW

codyarrow

One of our club members who is more of a sea trout hunter than me has the blue zulu as his go to fly.

Cap'n Fishy

One of our club members who is more of a sea trout hunter than me has the blue zulu as his go to fly.

I mentioned elsewhere that in 2019, the WOIGO Kate muddler was bringing them up, but not converting them. It was a switch to a turquoise-headed one that made all the difference...

Turquoise-Kate_9833.jpg

And you may as well call it a blue Zulu muddler. 😜

This is another useful bob fly for loch seatrout and salmon...

The Red Lady muddler...

Red-Lady_2005.jpg

I did some dapping flies based on it too - top left corner of the box.

Col