Loch more Caithness

Lewis Chessman

Loch More on the Thurso system?
You could contact the River Thurso Company / Ulbster Arms Hotel, but a) I doubt their boat is on the loch yet and b) due to C19 restrictions boats weren't used there or on L. Beg last season.
A better bet might be Eddie McCarthy, but I don't know if his boat is for personal use only. Worth an email to him.
I think that the River Thurso Company have the rights to L. More, though maybe not exclusively. I would check with them via the Ulbster Arms before fishing. If it's trout you're after (not great there) then you'll still need permission. I can't presume but I think it'll be there for the asking. Salmon fishing will probably be charged for though.

codyarrow

I'd be curious to know how you get on if it is the trout you are fishing for. Not really somewhere most people consider for trout TBH; better fishing close by. But it is a nice place to be afloat.

gg76

Thanks Fellas,

My friends and I make the trip every year around June to the Halladale and Altnabreac lochs.
I just thought it would make a change for 1 day drifting for salmon. I will ask the River Thurso Company if this is possible.

Thanks again
G

Noodles

Loch more was dammed in 1907. Before this it was one of the most productive spring Atlantic salmon lochs in the world.

However limited space (no#of boats) and the strong winds that are shall we say quite common in Caithness the dam was build to control water flow to make the river more accessible and to hold fish within the main river

The downside to this was raising the level by 12 feet (full loch) from its original level doubled the size and depths of loch More and rendered it a shadow of its former self.

Nowadays only a handful are caught and it fishes best when close to its original level, by which time the fish in it have usually gone stale.

tenet

If it's trout your after have a look here :

bobfly2

Just a query, could someone give a map ref for Loch Willan? Can't find it on my OS maps ... !

gg76

Loch more was dammed in 1907. Before this it was one of the most productive spring Atlantic salmon lochs in the world.

However limited space (no#of boats) and the strong winds that are shall we say quite common in Caithness the dam was build to control water flow to make the river more accessible and to hold fish within the main river

The downside to this was raising the level by 12 feet (full loch) from its original level doubled the size and depths of loch More and rendered it a shadow of its former self.

Nowadays only a handful are caught and it fishes best when close to its original level, by which time the fish in it have usually gone stale.
Thanks Noodles ,
That is great information, I will look elsewhere.👍