Lockdown project- fly tying?

Cooperman

In the first lockdown I refurbished an old rod and got back into fishing so I wondered about a new project this time.
On the basis that I may not get on with it I didn’t want to spend too much on tying equipment I have seen a Ty Master vice including some tools on the Dangler site. Have you seen it? Is it worth a punt at 20 quid.
Alternatively does anyone here have any surplus equipment they may want to part with?
I would intend to try and tie a minimum range of dry fly and nymphs for trout and grayling for use on a small and I mean small river.
Recommendations appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation of your much valued advice.

shpeil

Hi there,

I've not seen that vice - maybe post a link? I suppose whether it's worth a punt at £20 does partly depend on whether you can afford to be down £20. Just be aware that tying your own flies won't be saving money compared to buying them, and it does take a bit of practice. I find it hugely rewarding so would definitely encourage you to give it a shot.

Neil

4wings

I bought a fly tying vice and have really enjoyed using it!
Lots of good advice here, be careful not to get sucked in
to the "must buy"
If you do buy, buy good quality so you can resell and not lose
too much. Then should you enjoy it you have a good kit to become profficient with.

4wings

I bought a fly tying vice and have really enjoyed using it!
Lots of good advice here, be careful not to get sucked in
to the "must buy"
If you do buy, buy good quality so you can resell and not lose
too much. Then should you enjoy it you have a good kit to
become proficient with.

BobP

If the OP looks on line he'll find lots of decent fly tying kit for not a lot of money. He'll need a vice, two pairs of scissors, two bobbin holders, a dubbing needle and a whip finish tool though I've done that by hand for more than 40 years. Add a spool of black tying thread and one of olive, a spool of copper wire, a hank of peacock herl, and a cock pheasant tail. Buying capes can add a bit to it but it is worthwhile. Don't buy those packets of hackles, they are all far too big and are a waste of money.

It is true that if 35-40p flies are being bought then tying your own won't save a lot, but it certainly doesn't cost the £1.75 that good quality flies do.

Paul_B

I use one like in the link however I paid £17 from the Newark fly and gun show, I've made a better stand and base for mine.

PaulD

It is true that if 35-40p flies are being bought then tying your own won't save a lot, but it certainly doesn't cost the £1.75 that good quality flies do.

The OP is looking to tie a "minimum range of dry fly and nymphs . . . ", so say three dry fly capes maybe. Dry fly hooks, 14, 16 and 18. Thread, dubbing, pheasant tail feather, some ribbing / tinsel . . . oh, and of course his vice and tools etc.

It's going to be a long time before his flies cost less than £1.75.

BobP

I reckon that the nymphs I tie cost me no more than 55-60p a go and that is using top quality hooks and tungsten beads. A 4"x 3" section of hares fur costs just over £2 and you can tie hundreds of nymphs with it. Anyone who is a bit smart can get pheasant tails from a butcher's shop for free though it is a little more tricky now due to the Covid situation. Even if they have to be purchased you can get two for £1.25 each and a lot of PTNs can be tied from those at minimal cost each.

I don't think it is realistic to try to break down the hardware on a cost per fly basis, but it is for the consumables

tbs

I reckon that the nymphs I tie cost me no more than 55-60p a go and that is using top quality hooks and tungsten beads. A 4"x 3" section of hares fur costs just over £2 and you can tie hundreds of nymphs with it. Anyone who is a bit smart can get pheasant tails from a butcher's shop for free though it is a little more tricky now due to the Covid situation. Even if they have to be purchased you can get two for £1.25 each and a lot of PTNs can be tied from those at minimal cost each.

I don't think it is realistic to try to break down the hardware on a cost per fly basis, but it is for the consumables
It is all a bit of fun Bob and whilst we are tying we are reminiscing on those Farmoor days. Had a great day about three weeks ago and it was fishing very well and inspired me to tie some of these for the winter fishing if we are ever allowed out of Kent 😀
1609107073463.jpeg

Overmiwadrers

A bag of cdc and some hooks will get him going with F Flies , IOBOs , and even a few nymphs , I use cdc dries far more than hackled patterns .

O M W

tbs

Tied some of these Humungous Lures in Grean and Black for a couple of fishing mates who had run out of a similar pattern by Fulling Mill which they had great success with and were having trouble replacing.
I have tried to replicate as close as possible with materials I had to hand.
At least while we are locked down we can be on the backside in spirit whilst we are tying !

Happy new Year All

Ian (tbs)

1609418276517.jpeg

spudgun

My bit for what it's worth!
Start with good quality hooks. Fulling Mill Competition Heavy Hooks are a really good. I tend to use quite a bit of super glue, none of my flies come apart. Probably not the best way but it works for me.
Oh, and enjoy what you are doing. Don't tie too many of the same fly, till you're happy with your technique.
Cheers

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

tbs

I would say, “think about what you want the fly to do in the water as part of your decision as to what hook and materials to use.
The whole beauty of tying your own flies is that you extend what you learn on the bank side and vice versa into your tying.
One becomes an extension of the other.
The day when you are out and no one is catching and you slip that little bespoke fly that you created and it suddenly turns into a tight line is a magical moment. 👍🙂