Long tail tits x7

Mrtrout

This bunch just arrived on the fat balls, sweet little things.
Sorry about quality, iPhone through the glass.
5F07CDDE-2702-459E-B8A7-ED78759C7482.jpg
S.

diawl bach

Nice, they really are lovely birds, their call can be quite hypnotic if you're out working somewhere close to them.
Impressive picture, I can't remember seeing seven at the bird table, we get a few but they're not regulars like the other tits, pretty random visitors.

wobbly face

Have regular visits from a bunch about 12:30 ish. From 7 to as many as 11. I want to setup a camera with motion detection, just far too windy and all I'll get is swinging bird feeders. :doh: I've held one of these in my hand after it flew into a closed window. It flew of after a few minutes and I like to think it survived and found it's group again. :thumbs:

Wee Jimmy

Cant beat having your balls smothered in tits Mr Trout.....:thumbs:

I saw a flock of long tails on my feeders recently, they never seem to hang around for long though.Once one goes the others in the flock follow suit.

Mrtrout

I had a lesser spotted woodpecker here the other week, he comes regularly.
Anyway this particular day he was sat on the conservatory steps with his back to me, I thought he was hurt so I picked him up, he went ballistic never heard a bird make such a din, he was just asleep.
He flew straight off very disgruntled, not often in life you get to handle one of those.
S.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw a flock of long tails on my feeders recently, they never seem to hang around for long though.Once one goes the others in the flock follow suit.

I just laughed out loud there Jimmy. :D:D:D
What a nice thought, no these come and go, never stay long, apparently this time of year they do the rounds looking for a quick feed in anyone’s garden, I wish they would stay a while.
S.

Secret Angler

I'm sure you can work out a way to fit that to the caption comp.

Cap'n Fishy

Occasionally come across LTTs on the daily walk round the cycle path - usually no more than one or two. However, one day last week there was more than I had ever seen, anywhere. Too many to try and count and all bouncing about as they do, but guesstimate somewhere around 50 of them. There was a tree creeper in among them. A mate was telling me that tree creepers often hang about with LTTs and use them as an early warning system, so they can keep their head down towards the bark and not worry what's behind them. Needless to say, I didn't have my camera with me.

Col

Mrtrout

Steven.How sure are you it was a lesser spotted W pecker.Quite far up the country for them.

Jim

Jim, I may be wrong mate, it’s a common woodpecker here, is it the greater spotted then.
Green black head touch of red, I’m always getting mixed up.
Aye it’s this fella Jim.
1B702B99-EA08-4D9F-8C3D-37A56F68C4B9.jpg
S.

Cap'n Fishy

Jim, I may be wrong mate, it’s a common woodpecker here, is it the greater spotted then.
Green black head touch of red, I’m always getting mixed up.
Aye it’s this fella Jim.

Great-spotted...

400px-Dendrocopos_major_major_male%2C_W_Sweden.jpg

22-23 cm - medium-sized bird.

25-30,000 British pairs.

Distribution...

1200px-Dendrocopos_major_distribution_map.png

Lesser-spotted...

400px-Lesser_Spotted_Woodpecker.jpg

14-15 cm - much smaller bird.

Only 1-2,000 British pairs.

Distribution...

Mindre%20hackspett.png

But there is also a...

Middle-spotted woodpecker!

Middle-spotted_Woodpecker_-_HungaryCS4E4424_%2816224259449%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

19-22 cm

But it doesn't occur in Britain...

Middle_Spotted_Woodpecker_%28Leiopicus_medius%29_new_distribution_map.png

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Silly in it, the greater spotted seems to have no spots at all?
S.

It's actually the great spotted, rather than the greater-spotted (no hyphen). All three birds are the spotted woodpeckers, and then they are divided by their body size into great, middle and lesser.

They look more spotty with their wings out...

gsw-bif2-1024x637.jpg

Col

- - - Updated - - -

Nice peachy underparts....;)

That's why they stay well away from Orkney. ;)

Cap'n Fishy

That makes more sense Col, thanks.
Great pics as always.
S.

None of them mine, Steven - all pinched from Google images. ;)

I have one single image of a great spotted, on a feeder, taken through a window. Andy (Boorod) has lots of good ones of great spotties though).

Col

arawa

8DD3BE5B-EB8B-4605-8C63-119A093BF2D0.jpg

We are lucky to have a great selection of birds in our Black Isle garden although they are cropped daily by sparrow hawks. We sometimes get visits from GS woodpeckers but today we had 2 rare, for us, sightings; a goldcrest and a red poll.
The oddest sighting though must surely be a heron roosting in a eucalyptus tree in our garden.

Cap'n Fishy

I was trying to get a decent photo of a wren today. Just while walking round the cycle path, like... There are always one or two stooging about in the undergrowth, and they tend to scold you as you go past, alerting you to their presence. However, they must be just about the most difficult birds to photograph that I have come-by to date.

I had 2 separate chances today. But they never sit still for 2 seconds, and half the time you can’t even find them in the viewfinder when you put the camera up to your eye and look down 560 mm of lens... looking for a tiny brown thing, camouflaged among the brown undergrowth. And if you do manage to get on it, you hit the autofocus and it focuses on a twig that is crossing in front of it. Then it’s moved again… and because you are still looking down 560 mm, you didn’t see which way it went… and when you take the camera away from your eye, it’s disappeared completely! I never fired off a single shot! :(

Here's a bullfinch I got yesterday, instead. At least he sat still for a few seconds while I got the camera out! :p

He's quite peachy-looking too... :whistle:

Col

Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

According to the RSPB there are 340,000 Long Tailed Tits in the UK.
I think this is a massive overestimate and there are actually only about 50 (I mean 50 not 50,000) divided up into five little flocks that whizz around everyone's garden stopping for only a few minutes giving the impression there are thousands!

Andy

Latest posts