Looking for Austria experience

jpa

I have recently moved to Zurich and have started looking at cross border trips into Austria. From what I can see, the fishing is great but much of the river fishing is privately run and expensive (60-90 Euros per day). Is there anyone on the forum with Austria experience? The ideal would be to identify some rivers nearer the Swiss border that I could access on weekends but I am also looking for general Austria advice.

John

dwheeler07

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

I am about 4 hours into Germany from Austria. Trying to come up with a public (ha) hard to access, remote stream, lake, or river that I can get to regularly.

jpa

Nothing more to report, as yet. The better fishing seems to be south of Salzburg and further east, which is not so good for me distance wise. I am still hopeful of finding some good options on the western side of Austria.

John

jpa

Thanks Bob, the Gasthof Dorfschenke certainly looks like a good spot for a week and better value than some places I have looked at. I am still looking for something a bit further to the west. I may well be that the good fishing only starts further into Austria.

John

Last edited:

gue1968

I fish the river voeckla in upper Austria and for 45 euro it is not too dear.

If you look for "Fly Fishing Austria 2014" on youtube you see a video I took.

You can also fish the river ager and run into roman moser.

If you need any information please pm me.

Tight lines:)

BobP

All I can say is that I've fished further west in Austria and have found nothing to compare with the Moll, both in terms of the quality of the fishing and the cost. I've stayed in hotels that offer fishing for guests and then they charge you for the fishing or for the licence. Both of the above are included in Gerhard's package.

jpa

Well Bob, that is because the cost of things goes up the nearer you get to the Swiss border! Every thing here is a least double the cost of the same item across any border! I agree that not much is coming up fishing wise with the west side of Austria. I have just come from living in Oz for ten years, so the five hour drive to the good areas is not as off putting as it might be for some! I think I will drop Gerhard a line.

John

docsalmo

I visited Hotel Braurup in 2014. They manage around 150 km of private fly fishing waters. Rivers and lakes.

We were there during the first week of June. Water levels in the rivers were very high because it was extremely hot and there was a lot of melting water from the mountains.

Most of the times we fished the many lakes, like Finkausee, Elisabeth See and so on. There are many fish species: brown trout, lake trout (special form of brown trout), brook trout, arctic char, grayling... and burbot (Lota lota).

We also fished the wonderful Krimmler Ache. A small river in a mountain valley above the Krimmler waterfalls.

The fishing permit for all rivers and lakes is around 200 euro. Permits for 1 dag cost between 20 and 90 euro. Especiallt the Krimmler Ache is very expensive. But as I said, just take the permit for 1 week, then you can fish the Krimmler Ache every day (if you want).

Hotel Braurup also has special arrangements for fly fishermen. 1 week in half board, including the fishing permit is around 625 euro.

Here are some pics and a small movie...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw3fIMch2JE[/ame]

BobP

What needs to be borne in mind is all that white stuff up on the mountains which melts and has to go somewhere. For some reason the snow melt on the north side of the Alps seems to affect the rivers more than on the south side. This is possibly because there are more streams coming off the glaciers on the north, or maybe because the south is warmer the snow melts quicker that side and the rivers clear quicker as a result.

jpa

Interesting point Bob. I was in the Ticino area of Switzerland three weeks ago and the rivers were crystal clear, even with spring snow melt. This was all through the day, unlike in some rivers I have fished in NZ where they get cloudy as the sun melts the ice which carries ground up stone deposits.