looking for bamboo

northernjohn

I'm setting up to build split cane rods as a hobby having gone to one of Jeff Wagner's courses in Ohio(highly recommend this to anyone!) and I'm having trouble finding who to get bamboo culms from. Does anyone know who imports these or sells them?

Cheers

northernjohn

sorry not to include that but am based in the Uk. The states is a piece of cake to find bamboo, here is a little trickier

northernjohn

sorry not to include that but am based in the Uk. The states is a piece of cake to find bamboo, here is a little trickier

John

CrayValleyCane

Hi John

The Centre-cane company (01277 363285) in Essex supply Tonkin. They sell in bundles of 10 or 12 culms. The quality is variable.

If your'e after a small number of culms you could try Chapmans of Ware who are very helpful.

I do have the name of another importer/supplier at home - I'll post it later.

Pete

nev wilde

I bought 5 culms of Tonkin last year from 'Jacobs, Young and Westbury' in West Sussex
Tel 01444 412411.
12' lengths cost £9 each. They will cut into 6' lenghts and arrange delivery. Very good cane used by top class builders.

If you are just starting out why not practice on ordinary Calcutta cane from you local shops ?. You need something about 2" diameter,they usually sell it in 9' lengths, it look exactly like Tonkin Cane from the outside. You can practice all the skills required from splitting to varnishing !.

When I started building cane rods last year I practiced on Calcutta Cane, before I found a supply of Tonkin, and made 2 PMQ's that fished great !!.
Whats a PMQ I hear you ask ?. If you go on to www.RodBuildingForum.com you will find all the help you need to build rods. A great site and very helpful people. Some of the great cane rods were made from Calcutta cane

Last edited:

northernjohn

Hi Nev

Thanks for a really comprehensive reply, good advice regarding the Calcutta cane. Can you trust the company you suggested to pick the culms for you as I live some distance away?

nev wilde

Hi - I really cant answer that. When I went the guy opened the sacking wrapping one end and pulled them out. I chose 5 of the first 6, the then sawed them in half and helped me load up. He operates the warehouse and does not have the knowledge for selection. ( neither did I ).

I understand that Edward Barder buys some culms there. you cant get better that that. Check out his website to see great rods.

Dont be detered by the apparent complexities. Get some cane and have a go
and ask questions and read books. Some people would have you believe its hugely complecated. its not, it requires patience and a few tools to get started and if you make yourself a PMQ you will go through the process for minimum outlay and have a very useable rod. Making a hexagonal is the next step and does require some outlay.
Nev

nev wilde

I should add northernjohn, I am retired, and took up cane rodbuilding as a challenge/hobby last July as a substitute for golf !!. Am now building my third Hex rod having build and given away 5 PMQ's to sons and grandsons !.

Its a great feeling to catch a trout on a rod you have built yourself.

Latest posts