Looking to join a fly fishing club

kingf000

The 59 flyfishing is around £300 a year, on the dove a nice bunch, the Wye at the peacock is around 600, the Wye further up stream is a grand. All plus joing fees
The current prices for the Peacock club is £1125 to fish the Wye in the Mayfly season (Gold card) or £725 excluding the mayfly season. The 59flyfishers is the upper Dove, above the LADFF water. I may be wrong but I think they limit the number of fish you can catch on any visit.

glueman

The current prices for the Peacock club is £1125 to fish the Wye in the Mayfly season (Gold card) or £725 excluding the mayfly season. The 59flyfishers is the upper Dove, above the LADFF water. I may be wrong but I think they limit the number of fish you can catch on any visit.
Kings I was out of date on the peacock stretch, fiftyniners is 12 fish a day then stop but isn't that enough

kingf000

Kings I was out of date on the peacock stretch, fiftyniners is 12 fish a day then stop but isn't that enough
From memory I thought the number was lower but yes, probably enough but you get the odd days when the fish are really feeding and 12 fish can be caught in a couple of hours. If you've travelled a long way, not much time for fishing. On those days you realise just how many fish are in the river! I notice the stretch is shared with a holiday cottage, which states that wading is not allowed.

glueman

No
From memory I thought the number was lower but yes, probably enough but you get the odd days when the fish are really feeding and 12 fish can be caught in a couple of hours. If you've travelled a long way, not much time for fishing. On those days you realise just how many fish are in the river! I notice the stretch is shared with a holiday cottage, which states that wading is not allowed.
Wading on that stretch but you can once past the pumping station upstream. 12 is a good number for the river and in my mind a dozen is fine after that it is no longer a sport or pastime

kingf000

No

Wading on that stretch but you can once past the pumping station upstream. 12 is a good number for the river and in my mind a dozen is fine after that it is no longer a sport or pastime
So this is up to the OP. He probably has a return journey in the order of 3-4 hours to get there. If 12 is a good number for that river, he may want to try a different river. The reviews from the cottage suggest it can be difficult to catch on that stretch of river. If he wants a clear river with, probably, a lot of targeted fishing to seen trout, it is a good option. However, if he just wants to catch fish, then somewhere else may be preferable.

suzzy buzzer

Have a look at the travel time to New Mills along the A6 to Buxton. DNMAC has some nice water on the river goyt for about £50 a year. It hold some good sized trout, it’s not prolific with grayling, but the ones you get tend to be of a decent size.

kingf000

Kingf000 the comments on the cottage website are years old
You obviously know more than me as there is no indication as to when the comments were made, only the 2020 at the bottom of the page.
Regarding your other comments, it is up to the individual to decide what he does when he goes fishing. I don't look down my nose at those that catch a lot of fish by calling them number crunchers. In fact, I look up to them because they are clearly far better anglers than I am and look to them to help me to become a better angler myself. I go fishing principally to catch fish. When I want to enjoy the delights of the countryside, I go for a walk.

glueman

You obviously know more than me as there is no indication as to when the comments were made, only the 2020 at the bottom of the page.
Regarding your other comments, it is up to the individual to decide what he does when he goes fishing. I don't look down my nose at those that catch a lot of fish by calling them number crunchers. In fact, I look up to them because they are clearly far better anglers than I am and look to them to help me to become a better angler myself. I go fishing principally to catch fish. When I want to enjoy the delights of the countryside, I go for a walk.
The comments mention river keepers I can date them from that. People who catch a lot of fish are not necessarily better just fishing easier waters. I fish for leisure not numbers. When you see postings saying caught 59 or 60 to me they are number gatherers

Prolifichare

Appleby AA is within your time distance, we are pretty reasonable at £95 for a years membership, you can fish other clubs water for free such as PenrithAA KeswickAA Kirkby Stephen, WADDA, Brampton, and Carlisle all on swap tickets. We have 15 miles of the Eden and a members only stretch on the Lyvennet. We have vacancies so immediate membership Penrithl have a large waiting list. This was caught yesterday.
I run the club so if you need any help drop me a message.
Steven.
View attachment 37910
I definitely second the suggestion for Appleby. Cracking fish by James Waine there.

ptn

Hi G,
I come a little late to this thread but here is my two pennyworth. Until about 18 months ago I used to live in Merseyside, my memberships were
Corwen and District, great water on the Welsh Dee, not expensive
Bala Angling, more Dee, upstream of Corwen waters, annual membership is peanuts
Lancashire Fly Fishing Association which strangely no one else has mentioned. Excellent water on the Ribble and particularly the Hodder, +/- £400 pa.
Mitre Angling, industrial water on the Calder but stuffed with trout and grayling plus a bonus of the Doe on the slopes of Ingleborough, the closest thing in the UK to fishing in Montana ! +/- £200.
Manchester Anglers, 10 miles of the very upper Ribble, my attempt to get above the agricultural pollution which is killing the Ribble and has already destroyed the Eden, lovely water but not easy +/-£200
I have moved to chalk stream territory where my annual subs are the sum of all the above plus the cost of one week trip to the Czech Republic, but man must fish.
Hope this is of some help
Bill

Elwyman

Wirral Game Fishing Club has beats available to its members include game fishing on the rivers Dee, Clwyd, Elwy, Lledr and Conwy. There is a well stocked trout lake available and a daily rod allocation on Llyn Brenig. We also have memberships of a number of other clubs that increases the range of water available for members.

heathenwoods

Another late addition. Upstream of the 1k+ Cressbrook club is Buxton Fly Fishers which is £250pa +150 joining (this includes a guest ticket). I joined them this year. I've been a bit nomadic in my club membership but I think I'll stick with Buxton; it's a lovely stretch albeit by the A6 (which tends to melt away when you get focused on the river). Derbyshire Railway has decent stretches on the Dove and Derwent (which I've always preferred to the Dove) and is £85pa. Access can be a scramble at times but decent fishing. LADFFA has a returnable £500 payment in addition to the first year's fees so is a fair old outlay. Derwent Flyfishers have a really nice stretch of the Derwent above Chatsworth but both Chatsworth and Derwent Flyfishers are pretty pricey and (I believe) invitation only.

If I lived a bit closer to New Mills I'd make DNMAC my default club - they have some lovely stretches of water for a very decent annual cost. Another often overlooked club is Fenton and District who have a nice stretch of the Churnet (Dove tributary) near Alton Towers for £45pa.

Plenty of choices :)