loon aquel

kingf000

Can anyone recommend loon aquel floatant? Unlike Gink, it is made from hexamethyldisiloxane and silicon oil. Unlike Gink, which I find too viscous in winter and too mobile in summer, it is claimed to be of a consistent viscosity. Also Gink can leave a slick whereas loon claims it doesn't. If it is good, it would be dead easy to make your own, if you can get hold of hexamethyldisiloxane. Alternatively silicon oil and toluene may be just as good? Annoying as in my PhD I must have made gallons of the stuff, as it was the by product of many of my reactions! Smells nice too!

icejohn

Personally find its watery like you say and does the job. Only issue I found you tend to squirt too much out in one go and waste it.

It does have a different consistency more liquid. I can't say I notice the oil thing.

It does work for me. Some people claim the fly sites lower in the water than gink.

kingf000

Personally find its watery like you say and does the job. Only issue I found you tend to squirt too much out in one go and waste it.

It does have a different consistency more liquid. I can't say I notice the oil thing.

It does work for me. Some people claim the fly sites lower in the water than gink.
Many thanks. I dont mind if the fly sits lower, so long as it doesn't sink! Gink is hydrocarbon based and has a lower density than silicon oil, which may explain that.