Loop Cross SW or others for a similar price.

green man

Edit: I've bought a new Loop rod and reel (for £230.00), but someone else might want info, so please don't let me stop you.

Anyone got one or tried one? Never fly fished the sea before, but I'm looking very hard at the 9'6" 7# for Chichester Harbour and maybe Kimmeridge. I'll be wading only, no boat fishing. Loop have them on offer for £395.00, down from £790.00.

Any suggestions in that price range welcome, but I've come over 'all Scandi' after buying a couple of Loop reels and a Guideline rod... and watching The Bridge!

Last edited:

squimp

I’d rather have a used Hardy Zenith/Zephrys or a Loomis Cross Current or NRX.

Less money and you know you are buying something that works.

But; you might not like buying used kit and I haven’t gone ‘Scandi’.

green man

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy with used kit, but I wouldn't buy anything made by Hardy and (I just checked) even a used Loomis NRX is more money.

Out of interest, why do you suggest that the Loop Cross SW doesn't 'work'?

ceramic

Trident fly fishing have a review on YouTube of the loop sw.
He preferred the mf model to the fast. But he was looking at it as a bonefish rod. Where shorter accurate casts are common. Not just rocket launching it blind casting.
If you were looking to cast long the fast version was more suited for that.
Heavy swing weight was a downside.
8 wt nrx on eBay for 425 but you could of got that exact rod for 300 a month ago.
People bidding on quality fly fishing Tackle then reselling a couple of weeks later winds me up.

green man

If you were looking to cast long the fast version was more suited for that.
Not sure what defines 'long'. I've mostly fished small rivers, dry fly, with 8ft 4wts, and my maximum with those rods is about 60ft without double hauling. Having read a bit more, I'm more inclined towards the MF though. I'd have thought working out where best to fish and when will be more important than trying to cast 90ft? Although I understand the benefits of DH-ing when it's windy. Much to learn!

ceramic

Im talking about the loop rod review by trident. Not bass fishing. Just relaying what the reviewer said about the rods 2 actions.
If you are going to cast a fairly large bass fly on a 7 wt on a windy coast with out a double haul you will need to work out where the fish are.
Close to you hopefully!

squimp

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy with used kit, but I wouldn't buy anything made by Hardy and (I just checked) even a used Loomis NRX is more money.

Out of interest, why do you suggest that the Loop Cross SW doesn't 'work'?
I didn’t say the Loop doesn’t work. I said the Hardy and Loomis definitely do. I own the latter (x5 variants), I’ve never cast the Loop equivalent.

I bought an unused Nrx for £400 in U.K. last year.....

green man

If you are going to cast a fairly large bass fly on a 7 wt on a windy coast with out a double haul you will need to work out where the fish are.

Do you think an 8wt is an all-round better SW rod for the UK? That was my starting point, but as 7wt is a big jump from what I'm used to, I thought I'd go as light as possible (I can always over-line it). I can double haul a bit, but having not really needed it I'd have to practice - a lot!

Last edited:

squimp

There is now an 8wt Sage rod in the Sportfish sale for £350 ish. No idea if it is any good (some of their recent saltwater rods have been very average).

green man

Loop have a Black Friday sale (until Sunday, I think), so I bought a Loop Q kit... 9ft 7wt rod and 6-8# reel. Seemed like a £230.00 no-brainer, as a first saltwater outfit... it even comes with a pre-loaded 7# line and leader... just add flies!

Latest posts