Loop Cross SX

sodahead

Hello, anyone fish a Loop Cross SX fly rod in 5, 6 or 7 weight. They are selling at half price and reviews suggest that they are a goodly rod. Any views and opinions out there about these rods? Thanks in advance.

Capeldrae

Hi SH,

You see them using the Loop Cross a lot in New Zealand on the trout hunter videos. They seem to have plenty of backbone in the lower sections but a sensitive tip.

Where have you seen them at half price out of interest?
Loop official web page under the outlet store they've been on sale a while.

sewinbasher

Hi SH,

You see them using the Loop Cross a lot in New Zealand on the trout hunter videos. They seem to have plenty of backbone in the lower sections but a sensitive tip.

Where have you seen them at half price out of interest?
It seems to be the S1 that is more widely used in NZ YouTube content.

sodahead

Thanks for the response above. I will be using the rod for still water trout (I may encounter a fish in the region 6 to 10lbs). Its the discount that catches the eye (but that is possibly a manipulative intent) but also the rods just look superb.

sabalos

Have a 10' #6 , bought early spring.
Like it a lot, well built pretty fast action.
Depending on your casting abilities I would probably use a #7 weight forward.
Quality cork and tube.
Worth the money in my opinion.

green man

Extra discounts this weekend Sodahead.

I just bought a Loop Q kit, as a budget saltwater outfit, for £236.00 - rod, reel, line and leader. Would have been rude not to buy it.

bigginge55

Thanks for the response above. I will be using the rod for still water trout (I may encounter a fish in the region 6 to 10lbs). Its the discount that catches the eye (but that is possibly a manipulative intent) but also the rods just look superb.
I'm buying 1 tomorrow, loop make great stuff and look after their customers properly, 1 year no questions asked warranty and then proper full lifetime warranty even if they stop making that model

JCP

I mentioned Loop Rods as the great allrounder on another recent thread and in my view they fit into this category well.I have three from an earlier generation which I would not part wirh.Ideal in a 9ft 5wt for small single fly only stillwaters which stock grown on fish.Reservoirs with teams of flies warrant a little more length 9'6''/10'.

Capeldrae

I mentioned Loop Rods as the great allrounder on another recent thread and in my view they fit into this category well.I have three from an earlier generation which I would not part wirh.
I'm a fan of Loop what rods do you have ?

pati

Hi

I have been offered a 905 SX but haven’t had a chance to test it yet, courtesy of lockdown (and living in a flat in the city Center...). So did a bit of research on the web in the meantime.

The SX came a bit after the latest 9 6wt Yellowstone shootout, according to G Anderson (the boss at Yellowstone Angler) it would otherwise have topped the shootout on par with the Douglas Sky, which he rates immensely and above Radian, NRX, X...The review of the SX from GA was glowing...

Now G.A. has a very specific bias towards a very specific type of action and I personally far from always share his opinions and preference, yet I am yet to find a rod he described as great that was a bad Rod.

Hardrar

It’s a bit heart rendering for punters who have recently paid full price for both their reels and rods - Loop never used to do this massive discounting, but now they are all made in the Far East, you have to question how much should they be charging? Living on their past good name? They used to make great kit, but recent stuff not so good, reels particularly.
Be sure you ask if the same warranties apply, before buy, as close out lines often don’t have the same warranties.
Their warranties are good, but need to be, I’ve broken a few tips on their rods, just in normal casting and playing fish and had to return Loop Opti reels for “ snaggy ” pulsing drags and poor anodising (wears fast)

pati

It’s a bit heart rendering for punters who have recently paid full price for both their reels and rods - Loop never used to do this massive discounting, but now they are all made in the Far East, you have to question how much should they be charging? Living on their past good name? They used to make great kit, but recent stuff not so good, reels particularly.
Be sure you ask if the same warranties apply, before buy, as close out lines often don’t have the same warranties.
Their warranties are good, but need to be, I’ve broken a few tips on their rods, just in normal casting and playing fish and had to return Loop Opti reels for “ snaggy ” pulsing drags and poor anodising (wears fast)

On the discounting: this is stock clearing for an end of series (eg. they do not have all sizes/line weight available). Sage Scott T&T and Winston do the same in the US (although it doesn’t find its way to the UK for some reason, never seen US brands on more than 40% discount). So it also means we can expect a new series of rods from Loop very soon I guess.

I disagree on your comments on the rods. The design is still made in Sweden. For the manufacturing then the rods are made in the same factories that make Hardy or Douglas rods (and many others). Lots of more expert people than I am (including some that have visited there) will tell you those factories and their staff have little to envy to bigger/more prestigious names. Note also that South Korea is no China...

As to the reels: yes the quality has dropped dramatically since they are no longer re-branded Danielsson and in my opinion the value for money is quite bad indeed especially on the top of the line models like Optis (bought an opti creek secondhand and resold it very quickly as I found it to be far from my expectations)

Last edited:

Hardrar

It was maybe me, but I broke three tips in 11/2 seasons, (2 casting one playing a fish) all went six inches from the tip, Hardy had similar problems (again Korean made- coincidence?) and friends had the same. A dealer friend of mine ditched Loop- too many returned under genuine reason soon after purchase and Loop were not forthcoming. Sale of goods act makes the retailer responsible for refund above manufacturers warranty, within a few days of purchase. Loop seem to be going down the direct selling route also these days?
Some of their reels that were £450 a couple of years back were £138 recently- not great really.

green man

I don't blame Loop for going direct. The fly fishing industry isn't big enough to support numerous bricks and mortar dealerships - my nearest one is an Orvis dealer, 40 minutes away - and if you don't want to buy anything Orvis it's a two hour drive to Sportfish, for only a slightly larger range.

If you buy from the big online dealers in the UK, you're only getting the same service (or worse) as buying direct. Last year, Loop sent me a couple of reels from Sweden, in two days. GAC took 10 days to send me a backpack (a stock item). I thought they were great reels, especially for £145.00 each... not sure what there is to complain about.

Hardrar

I’ve nothing against against direct selling, just difficult to handle before you buy.
The reels are very poorly put together, ano wears off in no time and the drags pulse terribly, I noticed you soon moved yours on. I’ve had a few opti’s not a cheap reel and they were not good at all. At £145 still not a patch in a Snowbee spectre and they were way more than double this not so long since.

Craig808

AEG's 9'5wt & 9'6'' 6wt.Evotec 9'6'' 796 MF 15-17grms

I've got a couple of the Evotec 9'6" #7 MF as well and think they're great rods. I've just bought a 9' #4 medium for the river but not used it yet. If it's anything like the other Evos it will be a great addition.
I've also got the Loop Q 9' #6 which is surprisingly good for not bad money. I use that one as my stillwater dry rod.

Craig808

Just reading the comments with regards to direct selling.

I'm not sure if you're aware but David Murray from Loch Insch fishery is a a UK importer of Loop gear. He sells everything at the same discounted rates as you find in the Outlet Stores. He's been part of their r & d team so knows Loop very well.

If you keep the plastic on the cork he is fine with you returning the rod. I used a #7 Q for 2 or 3 casts and realised it wasn't the rod for me. I called him, explained why I had made a mistake and he refunded me the full amount.

I've had 4 rods and 3 reels off him with zero issues. Nice chap as well.

Latest posts