Loop S1 - Is it worth swapping?

tiggs

I already own a Loop Evotec 96 7wt which I use on lakes fishing streamers for big trout (as well as a 5wt stream rod). Loop have become my rods of choice and I appreciate the workmanship, the feel of the rod in your hand and their superb casting ability.
I have been offered an Loop Cross S1 (967) at a very reasonable price, the same action as the rod I already own and I am pondering whether it is worth spending the extra money to own a rod which according to the advertising raises the bar to another level.
Any ideas from Loop owners or those who have tried both?

Last edited:

Macmagoo

The newest rod in any manufacturers stable is always better than the last one. I think it may be something to do with getting us to buy it. I would always think that try before you buy because it may not suit your casting style.

sean freeman

The S1 is a nice rod, the finish is a high standard (only problem being the lack of a keeper ring!) and the rod just suits the way I cast. Its nice when fishing in close on the river but can bang out a long line when needed and theres lots of feel when you hook a fish too:thumbs:, I have the 9' 4wt so I'd guess the 7wt is a different beast.
Sean

hutchy007

I have the Loop Opti stream 5 weight and just love everything about the rod, compared to my Orvis 7 weight rod (i now hate it after using the Loop). I too managed to pick a 7 weight Cross S1 up, and its an absolute joy to fish with, the feel you get with it is brilliant, aswell as being powerful enough to cast a line out... even with my extremely limited ability :eek:mg:

Whether its worth forking out for (ive never cast the evotec) is only a decision you can make, however, im certain you will love the S1 :thumbs

tiggs

Thanks for those most helpful replies.
While I made a decision never in my life to buy another rod without first giviing it a good trial, already I have broken my promise if I buy this rod, and I think that I will.
My decision is based partly on the price that I am able to buy this rod for and mostly on reports from owners and testers. I appreciate the views from unbiased sources, they are probably the only really accurate ones.
I know that I am going to enjoy it, its the start of our winter fishing season here in New Zealand. Last season, 10lb trout were not uncommon, I havnt caught any that large but I hear that a 6kg was caught last week.
Thanks again,
Owen

tiggs

The Verdict,
Well I spent my money and now own a lovely Loop Cross S1. First impression was that it wasnt a lot different to my Evotec of the same length and weight but as I cast it, I realised there was a lot more to this rod. Powerfull but also reasonably gentle to use. Immediately a few feet further out and with less effort mostly I think because it was so much easier to control the loops.
Because the Evotec is a lovely rod to use, I was pretty happy with that but the Cross S1 offers a further dimension and I am looking forward to some great days fishing.
Thanks to all those who offered advice.
Owen

P.S. Did I mention the space age look of this rod - WOW!!!!