Losing fish!

JobberDun

Any advice from you guys please....

Every time I go out fishing I am losing as many fish as I am getting into the net.

I was fishing today, only had two bites and lost them both.

The first one was on the line for about ninety seconds, it came really close to me, right under my feet and then the fly came out!

Later on, a trout took my fly on the drop and I was a bit slow realising what had happened. That fish was only on the hook for about thirty seconds.

I have checked the hooks and they were sharp, so am I just unlucky? Or is there something else I could be doing?

My fishing life is almost forty five years long (mainly coarse fishing), so I do know how to play a fish. I also understand that nobody will net every fish they hook. But, does a fifty-fifty chance of landing a fish seem correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Russ

taffy1

Ah! The age-old conundrum of fishing/angling & catching. Try it in total darkness chasing sea-run brownies, it will really do your head in. That's from over 50 years of doing it. Some stick & some don't.

flyfisher222

Banned
Banned
Any advice from you guys please....

Every time I go out fishing I am losing as many fish as I am getting into the net.

I was fishing today, only had two bites and lost them both.

The first one was on the line for about ninety seconds, it came really close to me, right under my feet and then the fly came out!

Later on, a trout took my fly on the drop and I was a bit slow realising what had happened. That fish was only on the hook for about thirty seconds.

I have checked the hooks and they were sharp, so am I just unlucky? Or is there something else I could be doing?

My fishing life is almost forty five years long (mainly coarse fishing), so I do know how to play a fish. I also understand that nobody will net every fish they hook. But, does a fifty-fifty chance of landing a fish seem correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Russ
As you have coarse fishing experience I will assume you are striking hard enough.

On rivers, where you are usually behind the fish so the strike draws the hook into the fish's mouth, on the dry fly say "God save the queen" before striking but on the nymph strike instantly (or even before :))

On lakes the fish can be coming from any direction but is often chasing the nymph. So leave the nymph strike a little longer.

sofasurfer

Are you using flies that incorporate beads? A lot of patterns with beads restrict the gape of the hook which results in poor hook-holds.

I used to keep a mental note of the number of bites, hook ups and fish landed. Most days for each fish caught I lost one and for each fish hooked I missed one bite.

Andrew Rourke

If you are fishing marabou tailed lures, try shortening the tail. Trout will sometimes keep a hold for a few seconds before letting go.

Paul_B

As said, try shortening the tails if fishing lures, however fishing lures more slowly can still attract predator type fish and they will be more likely to take it into the mouth rather than grasp it by the teeth.

The old rule of thumb was, fish static to deep hook, figure of eight to catch and fast will get you tail nippers.

Since then we have brightly coloured blobs and assorts of weird and wonderfully flies? (also happens with standard flies) and this as led to, and the best description I can think of is; fish trying before buying so to speak and only grasping the fly by the skin of its teeth. There's always a fish that didn't read the book and just go for it, but that's life.

However and think on the bright side, the ones that get away get more adrenalin flowing than not having a bite at all :)

parrot

Are you buying your flies/hooks from one source? If so, try someone else’s. They may be using cheap hooks which flex too much. When I started out, I tied a lot of blobs on a packet of cheap hooks. I was losing 66% of my hook ups until I changed hook.

JohnH

Here's a thought for Russ. Quite often, getting polite enquiries, tap takes that don't develop or fish lost in the fight is a message from the lake that you should downsize your fly. Going down from (say) a size 10 to a size 12 fly but with the same or a similar dressing will convert the misses and losses into trout on the bank.

I wouldn't claim this is the universal answer, but it works often enough to be well worth trying.

JobberDun

Thank you everyone for all your advise.

I will try what has been suggested and hope that it improves the number of fish I am getting into the net.

Russ