Lough Corrib / Mask

dazza123

Anyone know how Lough Corrib or mask is fishing? I don't know if the duckfly is finished and the fish are taking olives . going to fish it on Thursday and Friday the 21/22 April 2016.

any help appreciated like what flies are taking and what line to use.
Thanks

mackiia1

I haven't fished yet this year but Duckfly will be mostly finished by now but Olives and Campto should be up by now.
Nymphs , small wets and dries will all work - depends on what you see on the day really - look for feeding Gulls - they usually find the fly first .
Don't fish the deeps - the fly and the fish will be in the shallow bays.
Good luck.

Guest107

I don't have first hand news on Corrib or Mask but I have plenty of news on both from locals.

I didn't manage to get out on Corrib all last week, but information from 2 anglers who were out most days said the fishing all round Inishmicatreer and Ballynalty Bay was hopeless, despite a decent amount of Duckfly. A few olives have been seen in Ballynalty Bay. A few mayfly have been seen at Annaghkeen. The temperature at the top end of Corrib is forecast to be 16 tomorropw, so hopefully I can get out at last for a day's fishing. Last week I saw a photograph of a 9lb trout caught and returned in Ballycurrin Bay the day before, caught by trolling a lure by an Inishmicatreer resident.

Mask on the other hand has been fishing exceptionally well, with wets of all sorts of patterns being successful. The weekend before last saw 300+ trout caught in Burkes, Clonburn competition. I don't know how many boats were involved. Flies which have been catching include Green Peter Red Arsed, Silver Dabbler, Alexandra and Bibio etc.

jemo

...fished Mask on friday last, hooked 10 fish with 5 to the boat...all caught on #14 black pennell....all the fish were got in a one hour period when there was a ducally hatch...no fish moved to the dries...olives are also up on mask...

Guest107

Just back from Ballinrobe and one of my friends was out from Lymnagh in the Ballindiff Club competition on Sunday and there were 5 fish for 16 boats. It was freezing cold.

Guest107

Were all those trout killed Bill ?
Regretably yes. It wouldn't be rocket science to create a sensible partial kill/C&R procedure for these competitions, but the idea doesn't appear to have any mileage to date. :confused:

mackiia1

Regretably yes. It wouldn't be rocket science to create a sensible partial kill/C&R procedure for these competitions, but the idea doesn't appear to have any mileage to date. :confused:
Not having a rant at you Bill , but 300+ wild fish killed in one day is a f**king disgrace.
I have no problem with anglers taking a few trout for the pan during the year , but for Christ's sake , this mass slaughter of wild trout during competitions is just taking the p1ss.

inishmackjames

Not having a rant at you Bill , but 300+ wild fish killed in one day is a f**king disgrace.
I have no problem with anglers taking a few trout for the pan during the year , but for Christ's sake , this mass slaughter of wild trout during competitions is just taking the p1ss.
I have to agree with you there mack, it's about time that anglers who fish these competitions realise the damage they are doing to valuable wild fish stocks, but I suppose most of them don't give a 5hit.

mackiia1

I have to agree with you there mack, it's about time that anglers who fish these competitions realise the damage they are doing to valuable wild fish stocks, but I suppose most of them don't give a 5hit.
Yeah James - its all about showing the world how good an angler they are . And of course winning the toaster.

Guest107

I totall agree mack. I don't fish in competitions. I used to sponsor a prize in the world cup on mask until I came to live in Ireland and saw the huge rack of dead fish lined up for the weigh-in. No more prizes from me.