Lough Corrib

seanie

Any up dates on how Corrib is fishing?Last I heard it wasn't fishing well at all.

seanie

Yes Ferg, We are going up as soon as things improve up there I'll let you know when.:cool:

Joey1

8th and 12th of April

Was out on Thursday last... on the Southern Lake as far as Anaghdown.
Very quiet. A few fish rising to the duck fly and buzzer and plenty of boats whizzing from drift to drift - but no fish to speak of. Although I had two nice sized pike on the fly.

Was out in the Kayak this evening after a bumper buzzer hatch. With the
clear hot weather it was only worth going out after 6.30pm. Had two fish to 1 1/2 pounds lost another larger fish and rose 3 more all to the dries.

Three boats around me at the duck hole blanked... they looked at me as if I was an alien with two heads fishing dries from a yak... then were kind of gob smacked when I started hooking fish. :whistle:

seanie

Some friends of mine were up at the w/end but found it a waste of time. They fished areas like Salthouse bay, Ballindiff and arround marker 50 but didn't even see a trout.It was basically the same story on Mask for some more friends of mine.

Joey1

Some friends of mine were up at the w/end but found it a waste of time. They fished areas like Salthouse bay, Ballindiff and arround marker 50 but didn't even see a trout.It was basically the same story on Mask for some more friends of mine.
Your right seanie - marker 49 and 50 were very quiet.
Lets say there was some pretty desperate looking faces by days end (guides, visitors and regulars)... still the bug life has taken off this week with some great hatches.

Hopefully the trout will start looking upwards!

fishaholic

was fishing corrib yesterday from oughterard. had a great day. fish were not really lively but when the wind picked up in the afternoon and evening i put on on a team of three small dark wets and the fish couldnt get enough of them. caught bout five trout over pound and a half and one bout three pounds.

seanie

Well Lads. Is there any news? I'm itching to go up but it looks like I won't get there until the end of next week.
Is there any improvement yet?

Mies

Still 'slow'. Had a couple of friends fishing out of Greenfields yesterday in decent conditions. Warm with a nice South/Southwesterly. They rose a couple of small fish to wets but nothing on dries. Little or no fly on the water apart from a few small sedges and duckfly in the lee of some islands. Looks like the olives have decided to give it a miss this year :eek:

I'm getting a bit concerned about a five day Mayfly trip planned for the middle of next month :( Might be wise to knock it back for a couple of weeks.

Wonder if Carra is fairing any better?

The Dibbler

It should improve over the next week or so. Have heard that the olives are starting to appear in a couple of areas but not in numbers. Some of the locals will let you know when you should go up.:D:D;)

seanie

I was talking to a friend of mine this evening who had fished Mask on Saturday and pulled out of it because it was so bad and went down to Corrib to find more of the same. There is a few olives beginning to hatch but the fish aren't switched on to them yet.

Joey1

I was talking to a friend of mine this evening who had fished Mask on Saturday and pulled out of it because it was so bad and went down to Corrib to find more of the same. There is a few olives beginning to hatch but the fish aren't switched on to them yet.
Your right Seanie, was down the lake on Sunday and the first olive hatches kicked off. There were a few large fish aggressively rising to them but they were very shy to say the least - painful when your covering such fish with three olive dries on a 18 foot, 4 pound fluro-carbon trace with not even a sniff of interest. Same can be said up at Greenfields - loads pf birds working and a healthy hatch of olives just not allot of interest from underneath just yet.

Duckfly has now dispersed. Anglers on the Oughterard shores have had little success this April with trout on the duckfly. The only time to fool a few wary fish was just before dusk with a team of very small, black dries with the angler in stealth mode. Still for a few nights around Borasheen the evening rise was fantastic as fish boiled and sucked down spent fly close to the shore. Don't let anyone tell you the fish aren't there...

Anyway the pike are hungry around the margins though and happy to take a streamer fly, as they prepare to fatten up after the spawning season and put on some good conditioning for the summer evenings.

teuchter

Hi All

Would appreciate you lads keeping us up to date with the doings on Corrib.
Hoping for a couple of days there the weekend before the Conn match so any info might help shape our fishing plans. Thanks.

GB

mayflyjunky

Alright Guys

Had a bloody fantastic day yesterday on Corrib with Basil Shields I had 11 fish with 2 around the 3lb mark and another 1 of his boats came in with 13.

I spooned a fish and he was stuffed with olive nymphs. The olives were thick on the water with the fish rising readily to them with 1 or 2 huge blocks spotted feeding as well.

Back down next fri for the weekend :D:guinness:

steve101

I'm going to Corrib in two weeks for first time, the boatman said he'd look after the flies but I'd like to try one of two of my own - what dries do people use for the olives (para-duns?)

Spider

Steve, I've no idea , never fished the lakes ....would be glad to hear how u get on. Am thinking of a small holiday in the next few months....

Joey1

Alright Guys

Had a bloody fantastic day yesterday on Corrib with Basil Shields I had 11 fish with 2 around the 3lb mark and another 1 of his boats came in with 13.

I spooned a fish and he was stuffed with olive nymphs. The olives were thick on the water with the fish rising readily to them with 1 or 2 huge blocks spotted feeding as well.

Back down next fri for the weekend :D:guinness:
Mayflyjunky I was down yesterday afternoon with Basil to see how he was after his little scare (you know what I mean) did I meet you by any chance - I was the kiwi with a skin head and a beard...

By the way your a lucky b*gger I've been fishing down the South of the lake the past three weeks on all the spots Basil frequents and they've only just come on the bite! Well done to you.;)

mayflyjunky

Mayflyjunky I was down yesterday afternoon with Basil to see how he was after his little scare (you know what I mean) did I meet you by any chance - I was the kiwi with a skin head and a beard...

By the way your a lucky b*gger I've been fishing down the South of the lake the past three weeks on all the spots Basil frequents and they've only just come on the bite! Well done to you.;)
No im afraid not joey, we heard a wee whisper there was a bit of apple tart going so made tracks to get in before Basil:D

Fantastic day but alot of that was down to Basil who remarked at the start of the day "all i need of you lads is to be able to put your flies in the water, jesus, you might not even need flies, just the tip of your rod":D:D Jesus he wasn't far wrong.

We had alot of bad weather days last year and funnily enough it was next weekend last year when we had the red letter day so decided to leave the bookings untill later this year.

Hopefully next time Joey.

Joey1

No im afraid not joey, we heard a wee whisper there was a bit of apple tart going so made tracks to get in before Basil:D

Fantastic day but alot of that was down to Basil who remarked at the start of the day "all i need of you lads is to be able to put your flies in the water, jesus, you might not even need flies, just the tip of your rod":D:D Jesus he wasn't far wrong.

We had alot of bad weather days last year and funnily enough it was next weekend last year when we had the red letter day so decided to leave the bookings untill later this year.

Hopefully next time Joey.
Nice one mate,

Great to hear you had a great day! I will try and get down to Basils next weekend and say hello, and maybe even sneak in a pint!

Cheers,

Brent.