Lough Corrib

gary29428

It's a scene repeated in every bay I was in today Sean, even bays you don't normally see a lot of fly in. Fishing ain't easy, had 4 today but worked hard for them. Seen **** all fish on top... Weather looks settled all week.

stylie

I was on Corrib today. The hatch of duckfly was phenomenal but we didn't even see a single fish. I think they have had their fill, Even the gulls were uninterested.
Here is a picture I took with my mobile phone. The swarms of flies can be just about made out above the trees. This could be seen on numerous islands today. (sorry about the picture quality)

FFS I have the same picture and maybe from the same bay today aswell !! .

Been up for the last two days trolling with a small bit of fly fishing thrown in. One on the fly none on the troll but I have seen lots of trout on the top, at the back of the Islands from Portacarron up to Inchagill. Some good trout rising too but too sunny and too much fly. Also I watched trout feeding at half seven Saturday morning in the Bog also after sunrise in the same area trout were feeding, but could not tempt them with a dry fly but they are feeding at both ends of the days and night.

Also I saw more Daddy longlegs on the lake today then I did for the month of August last year.

paddy5

Did you see any Mayfly stylie ,a few isolated sightings last week.
PJ.

gary29428

If there are fish moving JJ I'd stick to size 12 buzzers on the washing line. Got 5 one day last week and 2 yesterday with this method. You know yourself, dries can be tricky if it's calm and bright. However if there are fish moving in a bit of ripple dries could do the job....

JJ O Malley

If there are fish moving JJ I'd stick to size 12 buzzers on the washing line. Got 5 one day last week and 2 yesterday with this method. You know yourself, dries can be tricky if it's calm and bright. However if there are fish moving in a bit of ripple dries could do the job....

Ya, i hear you.. The sunshine can be a curse all right...

Thanks
JJ

Red Diawl

FFS I have the same picture and maybe from the same bay today aswell !! .

Been up for the last two days trolling with a small bit of fly fishing thrown in. One on the fly none on the troll but I have seen lots of trout on the top, at the back of the Islands from Portacarron up to Inchagill. Some good trout rising too but too sunny and too much fly. Also I watched trout feeding at half seven Saturday morning in the Bog also after sunrise in the same area trout were feeding, but could not tempt them with a dry fly but they are feeding at both ends of the days and night.

Also I saw more Daddy longlegs on the lake today then I did for the month of August last year.

stunning photos guys:)

mayflyjunky

I wonder is the unusually large buzzer hatches on the Corrib and other lakes a result of the severe flooding we had two years ago. It would have washed a lot of phosphates/nitrates from the land into the lakes.

doublehookup

I wonder is the unusually large buzzer hatches on the Corrib and other lakes a result of the severe flooding we had two years ago. It would have washed a lot of phosphates/nitrates from the land into the lakes.

Are the hatches unusually large? Maybe the mild Winter has got them out a bit earlier but I've always had days where there are clouds of millions of the things especially by evening time.

paddy5

Hi Mayflyjunky , those floods were in the backend when that kind of leeching would be lessened as the farms are generally spreading in the spring, also very big hatches up at the top of the lake where farming practices are less intense .
I would say its the mild calm weather giving the hatching cycles time to build.
Just an opinion . PJ

stylie

We got a nine and a half pounder on a roach today, nice looking fish if in poor condition. Didnt seen any Mayfly which is a surprise seeing as there was so many duckfly sedge and other gnats. Also saw no olives but I bet they will be up in the next few days. Again I saw lots of Daddies on the water so the ground must be nice and warm. If I was booking the May fly I would book the end of April as they are going to be early this year.

Also never thought to use the washing line method as I trolled all the time but I would have got fish with it I saw so many on the top. Hard to believe this weather a week after Paddys days, got bloody sunburn yesterday

cax

i do not like to hear reports of mayfly hatching this early in the season, night frosts will do them.

stylie

Where did you see fish moving stylie, I'm heading out tomorrow and Thurs.

The back of Bilberry had some nice trout but I also came across a pod of good fish in very deep water high off the south side of Inchagill . Also plenty in the Bog and the back of Garby. Also there are fishing feeding after the sun sets and feeding into dark, I saw/heard them at 10pm near the bog and a guy said he heard them feeding in the dark up around Glann

fishaholic

Any sign of the Olives hatching yet?? :thumbs:

I fished it yesterday seanie. No sign of any olives around oughterard any way, plenty of fish moving in bog bay though. Plenty of sedge hatching in the afternoon and evening time.

tips

Fished Corrib on Saturday from Greenfields. Bad day, missing four on dry duckfly. Olives were hatching, but the trout did not seem to be on them yet from anglers I talked to. My partner did not touch a fish all day, fishing mostly epoxy and herl buzzers.