Lough Corrib

shuck raider

What´s the pattern for the Harry Tom?
Harry Tom dressing is in Moc Morgan's 'Trout & Salmon Flies of Wales' and I've lent my copy to someone. Off the top of my head, it's something like:

Tail: Ginger cock
Body: Hare's Ear
Rib: usually gold but in your case, red floss
Throat Hackle: Ginger
Wing: Bronze mallard

I stand to be corrected on this one :eek:
Already posted :thumbs:

zimtrout

Hi cax, thank you, not long till the trout decide... wish it would warm up a bit.......... has anyone been out this week, any fly comin off???

Last instalment of flies, what do you think???

Harry Tom

Blae Quill Wet

Bronze mallard quill olive

cax

Excellent flies.
Weather really awful for fishing now.:mad:

catskill

4 of us were out on Friday, Saturday and a few hours yesterday. Tough, tough going in an incessant east wind. Friday had wind and rain all day though 2 of the lads had trout 1.5-2 lbs - one on a buzzer and one to a pearly dabbler. One of the lads fishing from the shore at lunch lost a thumper (the knot gave way :eek:mg:.
Saturday was the best day, wind eased a little, no rain TG and the 2 boats had 4 fish each up to 2.5 lbs. I had a beautifully marked 1.5 pounder fishing from the shore. Best fish of the day was a 5lb pike which took a buzzer!
Sunday was a bloody nightmare - coldest I've ever been! with the wind chill it was about -3, though we did have a 1.5 pounder on our first drift.
No duckfly (or any other fly for that matter) hatching where we were (Cornamona area). Most successful method was wets and in particular the Pearly dabbler (size 10 or 12), though we had fish to a claret bumble, and a hopper as well.
Overall I would say that fishing big flies of fry-type patterns on intermediate lines in very shallow areas worked best. We spooned a couple of the fish and one was full of hoglouse and the other buzzers, yet neither of these patterns was particularly successful.
I also think there is definitely a lot to be said for fishing from the shore in sheltered bays. After from getting relief from a battering by the wind you can cover the area better - 2 of the 3 times we fished from the shore we caught fish. Finally I need to get myself some really good thermal socks and fingerless gloves though I dont think I'll ever go out in those conditions again!!
Having said all the above I just had a facebook update showing Larry McCarthy with a 7lb brownie caught on a size 16 duckfly, I think on Saturday. Some bloody angler is Larry!!

Mies

What a stunning fish!

Well done to Larry and Jeremy.

Don't suppose he mentioned where it was caught? Shambo, probably :whistle:

Breac orga

Thank's catskill for the kind words but sometimes I get lucky.And Mies the fish was caught about 5 miles south of Shambo,I know I am barred from This area of the lake by your boat partner.Hopefully the weather will warm up soon and we will get some good hatches.Today was the first day I saw a proper hatch of duckfly hopefully things are soon to get going.

JJ O Malley

A beautiful fish... What did it take? I'm guessing it didn't really take a 16 cdc.. Sometimes sarcasm is slightly lost on me!!

Cheers
JJ

Breac orga

Just a quickie!! to let you know that the duck fly is up and at it.
It has been pouring off over the last few days,fish are also starting to appear.
Monday 2 for 8lb,Tuesday 6 fish to 3lb and Wednesday 4 to 2.5 lb.
It's good to see fly and moving fish again,March was the worst I have ever experienced on Corrib.:)

steve101

I'll be fishing corrib for a few days around the 20/21st of april and I want to tie up some flies - any suggestions (wets & dries)?

patk

Steve olives id say have a look at the last few pages that zimtrout has been tying won't go too far wrong for wets maybe some dry olives and emerges too

the wulff

Nice fish !!

Fished Thursday to Saturday - very little luck - what tactics were you using ??

Just a quickie!! to let you know that the duck fly is up and at it.
It has been pouring off over the last few days,fish are also starting to appear.
Monday 2 for 8lb,Tuesday 6 fish to 3lb and Wednesday 4 to 2.5 lb.
It's good to see fly and moving fish again,March was the worst I have ever experienced on Corrib.:)

123strike

Hi folks, my first ever comment on this forum. Here goes: Fished Corrib / Greenfields on Saturday from lunch time to dark. Plenty of duckfly hatching throughout the session, little or no activity from feeding trout on the surface until in or around 19:30. Then the lake displayed its massive stock of quality trout, rising freely all around us :) Unfortunately, I could not rise 1 single trout, emptied my duckfly flybox. CDC Emergers, bobs bits, grey duster, epoxy buzzers etc.. So I wonder have any of the members here any pattern of dry flies for the adult duckfly that have a proven track record they would be prepared to share. Thanks in advance.