Lough Corrib

david murray

Hi folks, my first ever comment on this forum. Here goes: Fished Corrib / Greenfields on Saturday from lunch time to dark. Plenty of duckfly hatching throughout the session, little or no activity from feeding trout on the surface until in or around 19:30. Then the lake displayed its massive stock of quality trout, rising freely all around us :) Unfortunately, I could not rise 1 single trout, emptied my duckfly flybox. CDC Emergers, bobs bits, grey duster, epoxy buzzers etc.. So I wonder have any of the members here any pattern of dry flies for the adult duckfly that have a proven track record they would be prepared to share. Thanks in advance.

A good friend of mine had a brilliant weekend just gone on buzzer and pheasant tails. I think it was 10 fish to 5lb all returned, smallest around 2lb. Saw some photos, absolutely splendid trout.

Do you have to fish dry, the fish will be munching like mad under the surface.

cax

Hi folks, my first ever comment on this forum. Here goes: Fished Corrib / Greenfields on Saturday from lunch time to dark. Plenty of duckfly hatching throughout the session, little or no activity from feeding trout on the surface until in or around 19:30. Then the lake displayed its massive stock of quality trout, rising freely all around us :) Unfortunately, I could not rise 1 single trout, emptied my duckfly flybox. CDC Emergers, bobs bits, grey duster, epoxy buzzers etc.. So I wonder have any of the members here any pattern of dry flies for the adult duckfly that have a proven track record they would be prepared to share. Thanks in advance.
For emerging or hatching dark sooty buzzers or duck fly try a size 14.
klinkhammer which has worked for me in the past.

Hook size 14 fine grub or shrimp hook.
Body 5-6 strands pheasant tail died dark olive tied in by tips and wound up the hook to form the body, start well around the bend of the hook.
Rib fine silver tinsel or white span flex also called uni-flex divided in two.
Thorax: just black thread figure of 8 under wing post. Or if you want you can tie in some died black peacock herl.
Hackle: best quality genetic cock silver badger.

Another one is same materials tied para loop style except tie the hackle around a foam post and bend over to tie in floats brilliantly with the foam in the para loop hackle.
Size 14 all the way.

stylie

Late in the evening sounds like they are taking the female. I wouldn't lose heart for not rising a fish, I think we have all had those sessions where you can do no right. Keep at it, try to guess where the trout is cruising to next and get the flys there and leave them down for awhile. Dont get into the habit of casting at every rise you see, be patient. What lb line were you using ? mono,co-polymer or fluro ?

hennessygavan

Hi 123 Strike,
It can be very frustrating. My advice to you is to focus less on the flies and more on the rise form initially - then you can match the pattern accordingly. I've seen anglers in this position time and time again.

I was out on Saturday and Sunday from the same area and I had some great great fishing, however my boat partner was not so lucky. Dont automatically reach for the dries once you see fish on the surface. Study the situation then make your choice. Get it right and your away, get it wrong and your in trouble. Its worth it because the period of time you have to capitalise is probably only 30-60 minutes.

Gavan

Gavan

cmcf

123 Strike
I would agree with Gavan the pupae can come to the surface in the evening and although it looks like the trout are on the female they are taking pupae a few inches down. I would not use epoxy, a black buzzer with a herl thorax is a better bet my favourite is a black blakeston’s buzzer on a size 12. If the trout are on the adults I have found a small blae sooty fished static works well, let it sink slowly. I have had good success with a sooty on the top dropper and 2 buzzers fished below on evening rises. But sometimes you can just be on the wrong end of the boat. Hope this helps
Conor

123strike

Thanks for the feedback folks, unfortunately i won't be West again for another fortnight minimum, perhaps the Olives will be up and i'll have a new problem of how do i entice them to my dries for the olives! I'm already looking forward to the challenge!

mackiia1

Serious fishing to be had on Corrib at the moment - my buddy Larry Mac and a client have had 2 fab days yesterday and today - 10 trout today for 42 pounds - doesn't get any better than that - well done guys:thumbs:

inishmackjames

Serious fishing to be had on Corrib at the moment - my buddy Larry Mac and a client have had 2 fab days yesterday and today - 10 trout today for 42 pounds - doesn't get any better than that - well done guys:thumbs:
Jesus, that's some fishing - if it was true, I don't believe it for a moment there's not that many big trout in Corrib. But let's say it's true, is there any chance you would tell me where those fish were caught, I could badly do with stocking up my deep freeze. Thanks Mack !!!

mackiia1

Jesus, that's some fishing - if it was true, I don't believe it for a moment there's not that many big trout in Corrib. But let's say it's true, is there any chance you would tell me where those fish were caught, I could badly do with stocking up my deep freeze. Thanks Mack !!!
Of course I could tell you James - I could tell you which fly they were caught on - I could even drive the boat and go on the oars and put you on the fish - and you still wouldn't catch them :D
Wait for the summer and fill the freezer with some of them stupid Silver fellow's :whistle:

cmcf

Hi are the olives hatching yet and is the fishing picking up? Haven't been out for about 3 weeks busy with work and kids. Cheers Conor

cmcf

Wulff thanks for the update I was free friday afternoon but with nothern wind forecast and slow fishing I will wait for another week cheers conor

zimtrout

Hi
thought i would stick up a couple of photos from the trip i made earlier this month, 4th 5th and 6th. Three days very very hard fishing, cold and easterly winds, we did however find a few sheltered spots with some hatching duckflies. All the fish we had, were deep and took smallish buzzers. Hardest fighting fish i have every had the pleasure of tangling with!!!!! it is an amazing place, i will be back!!