Lough Corrib

catskill

Very nice Z glad your trip was worthwhile and your perseverance paid off. Unfortunately for you and your bank balance the bloody place is addictive but its not a bad addiction as they go:thumbs:

seanie

Yesterday on Corrib.
The conditions were squally and cold. Fishing was very difficult with no fish showing. No sign of Olives yet but I think really soon.....
I only managed one decent trout with several small fish and lots of near misses
this is the one I did manage to get so after a quick pic was set back again.....

stylie

Nice fish, at this rate the Mayfly wont be up til the 20th. That used to be the traditional time if I remember correctly. Last year they were up right now and Im booked in from the 6th, probably get the Olives which I hate as much as the trout seem too

hennessygavan

Well what can I say. The fishings been really good. A lot of fly has hatched off and we now await the calm evenings for the females to go out on the water.
Olives were not up at the weekend, but I expect that will change this week, given the weather forecast. One thing I noticed to date is that the fish are all in superb condition for the time of year, I mean really good and extremely hard fighting, stripping many yards of line. Here's a few photo's (if I can manage to load, I scaled down the images so fingers crossed)
All fish returned safe and sound.
Hope you enjoy,
Gavan

zimtrout

some cracking fish there, where about were you fishing?? and were they on buzzers?? cheers ZT

luciakai

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice on tactics and areas to try on loch conn. I will be arriving on tues 21st and staying in the pontoon hotel. I will be fishing for 5 days and interested in what and where is fishing on conn. never fished conn before so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Marcus

123strike

Any advice for olive patterns folks? Blae winged sooty's, cock robin... Although i'd ideally like to fish dries? Thanks

the wulff

Fished Mask Sunday - seen a lot more fish moving than I seen on Corrib over the last few weeks, It was choppy but we has a few trout around 1lbs to Olives, No sign of May Fly

seanie

Thinking of travelling this coming weekend. Has anybody been out? :)

groovy teeth

hi, what depths of water are best for fly life near the surface.? i know from shallow (1 ft) up to what depth is it practical to fly fish and expect to find trout there feeding?any thoughts on this appreciated.

cmcf

Not sure if you asking what depth of water to foucs on or what depth to fish the fly.

now we are into mayfly the fish can be just about anywhere but focus on water 3ft to 12ft would be my adivse. later in the year there is good fishing over the deeps.

as for fly depth for mayfly you want to be on top, dry fly is the best bet.

for wets I presonally done think it maters to much at this time of year whether your a 1ft down on the surface. fish will come on the first 3 or 4 pulls of a cast on the lift so the flys are near the surface

for buzzers nymphs anything from 8ft to just below the surface

hope this help

conor

the wulff

What tactics were you planning to use ??
Wet flies from surface to 3 or four feet - a little deeper, for buzzers up to 20ft

Hope this helps

groovy teeth

thanks for sharing your thoughts lads.i think i dont have the patience for buzzers at 20 ft. but if thats what the fish want. do any of you try lures like fry patterns or stripping damsel nymphs at high speed as in stocked lakes and do you have much success? i,m going over on 26th hopefully for 2 nights and hope we,ve timed the may fly right. but, i,d like to have a back up plan. 2 years ago, we were dapping mays but it was so windy we probably shouldnt have been out. we managed a couple of keepers though. cheers.

cmcf

You could try fry pattern but I wouldn't bother. 2 years ago the mayfly was over by the 26th came in april.

This time your timing is looking bang on for mayfly on the corrib. Fish a floating line if your fishing wet fly, French partridge mayfly, golden olive bumble and a green dabbler your won't go far wrong cast a short line give them a few sharp pulls then let them hang in the surface before lifting

For dry fly an olive/green wulff and a grey wulff. Visit a local tackle shop for fly's

If your in the oughterard area there a pond with rainbows I think it is owned by Mike Flatherty ask locally but there is no sport in that game stick to the lake and catch a real trout is my advice

tight lines
conor

groovy teeth

i,ll definitely try that:thumbs:. and no i wont be trying for stockies.one daycent trout for a days fishing is all i,m after. plus a couple of 2 pounders to keep me occupied for the day.:)