Lough Corrib

mackiia1

I am heading over saturday - I will be fishing out of Greenfields - any recomemndations ??
For Olives try Kenny's Bay south from Greenfields which can be good or north to Ballynalty Bay.
Further down the lake and the area around Galcarrick has good olive hatches.

If you fancy fishing buzzers try Annaghdown Bay and the outside markers up to Lime Island

Hello all,

Sorry to lob this post into this thread but I didn't know where else to post it!

I'm from Mayo, live in the Galway area and am interested in fishing Corrib but sadly I have nobody to fish it with! No boat doesn't help but I'm working on that. Most of my mates are either tied down with kids or too hung over on a saturday/sunday morning to be any good for fishing!

I've fished it in the past using a guide, but being from Mayo most of my salmon/trout fishing has been on Lough Conn and the Moy and some smaller lakes around Westport like Bilberry.

If there's anybody who heads out on Corrib and Mask who wouldn't mind a bit of extra company, I'd be very grateful to join... and happy to chip in for fuel or any other costs. Or if there's anybody who doesn't have a boat but rents one occasionally and wants to share the cost of renting a boat and engine from time to time that would also be great. Just send me an IM and we can work something out.

Thanks for reading :)

mackiia1

Hello all,

Sorry to lob this post into this thread but I didn't know where else to post it!

I'm from Mayo, live in the Galway area and am interested in fishing Corrib but sadly I have nobody to fish it with! No boat doesn't help but I'm working on that. Most of my mates are either tied down with kids or too hung over on a saturday/sunday morning to be any good for fishing!

I've fished it in the past using a guide, but being from Mayo most of my salmon/trout fishing has been on Lough Conn and the Moy and some smaller lakes around Westport like Bilberry.

If there's anybody who heads out on Corrib and Mask who wouldn't mind a bit of extra company, I'd be very grateful to join... and happy to chip in for fuel or any other costs. Or if there's anybody who doesn't have a boat but rents one occasionally and wants to share the cost of renting a boat and engine from time to time that would also be great. Just send me an IM and we can work something out.

Thanks for reading :)
PM me your phone number and if I am ever heading up on my own I will give you a buzz
Ian

the wulff

Saturday was to bright and still, I took 1 fish top of Balynalty on dry olive in the afternoon, from 6 onward there was plenty of fish moving. I emptied the fly box but was at a loss to what they were taking !!!! Anyone any ideas ??

stylie

Saturday was to bright and still, I took 1 fish top of Balynalty on dry olive in the afternoon, from 6 onward there was plenty of fish moving. I emptied the fly box but was at a loss to what they were taking !!!! Anyone any ideas ??
In the evening female buzzers returning to the water ? but you should have been able to see them, could you see anything on the water ? What were the rise forms like ?

the wulff

All I could see was a very small black fly, I tried a size 16 black gnat !!

trout were rising consistantly - smallish rise, just breaking the surface would they be taking something just under the surface ?

I'm going to give it another lash on Sunday - conditions will be more favourable for Olives

stylie

Some form of Chrimonid, I think we have over 300 species in Ireland. 3 dries close together (some people favor spreading them out) well ahead of the trout and leave them there. Its easy to start thrashing the water with casts chasing rises but you will only put the fish down, stealth and patience is a must.

Same here, send me your number in a PM.

Regards,
JJ
Have done so JJ. Thanks very much.

Not sure if you have received my message as my account is telling me there are messages in my inbox but zero sent messages... despite the fact that I know I have sent some. Might just be a glitch but if you don't see a message from me, maybe send one my way ;)

Thanks

Last edited:

cmcf

All I could see was a very small black fly, I tried a size 16 black gnat !!

trout were rising consistantly - smallish rise, just breaking the surface would they be taking something just under the surface ?

I'm going to give it another lash on Sunday - conditions will be more favourable for Olives
Wulff
Sounds like they are taking buzzer pupae not spent fly. I normally fish a small dog fly on the top to cover the spent and 2 light buzzer under it, this tactic has worked for me this season. I have also had good fishing in the evening with a small blae and black (or sooty) on the top and buzzer down the leader and let it sink. Use a nylon leader. The buzzers tie them on light hooks (B400) and use herl for the thorax.

but sometimes the fish just don't play ball

hope this helps
Conor

the wulff

On Corrib again yesterday, for the second successive week I got the head burnt off me, not much happening, a few olives - no camto - evening thunder wrecked it - any one getting fish ??

paddy5

Hear they are up on Derg alright.

Last edited:

cax

Some form of Chrimonid, I think we have over 300 species in Ireland. 3 dries close together (some people favor spreading them out) well ahead of the trout and leave them there. Its easy to start thrashing the water with casts chasing rises but you will only put the fish down, stealth and patience is a must.
Well over 400 and counting.

123strike

Fished Corrib Saturday evening the 19/04 and as one of the lads noted above got the head burnt off me all evening and when it got to the serious stuff the trout were feeding reasonably well but going like race horses which was difficult to keep with as it was just me and the dog! Resulting was 1 undersized fish.

Fished Monday the 21/04 and had a great few hours on the wets landing 4 keepers up to 3lbs a lot of Olives and 1 Mayfly, then the sun came out and all went quiet.

Hope to be out this weekend not sure where to go, i'd like to do a day on Carra, the Mayfly should be up with the recent good weather..

markc82

Hi guys

Quick question, im heading down to glaway (staying in rosmuc) on saturday 17th may for a week with her indoors. Now ive been giving a pass out for a days fishing or 2. Never fished the corrib just northern loughs and a few of the midlands loughs. As i dont know corrib dont fancy hitting it on my todd, i dont suppose anyones looking a boat partner for anyday that week? Ill pay for boat hire and a few pints after.