Lough Corrib

the wulff

Heading up myself, for the weekend, hopefully there will be a bit of action, I'm bringing my 9 your old son with me for his first outing on the Corrib!!! Going to set him up with a dapping rod and let him loose, Any info on hotspots would be appreciated, I am fishing out of Ballycurrin.

stylie

There's loads of fishing around there, Oughterard, Portacarron Annaghkeen were hammered over the weekend so probably better staying over that side of the lake. Usual Mayfly fishing, longs drifts and watch for birds.

Was up yesterday for a while. From Derrymoyle. Mayfly hatching during the day,buzzers later. Had 3 fish,nothing big. Missed a couple more. Better to come id say. The place looked beautiful in the evening particularly.

Wulff Ballindiff and environs is a good spot. Lots of action around there,Inishmac and down to Greenfields. Hope you and the young lad have the craic and you pass on the bug!

on a side note...
Mates engine went teets up so we rowed back to go get mine. Passed 2 boats which ignored us. Now we didnt have long to go but they didnt know that. Thought an 'alright lads?' would be nice.
Also started a drift alongside Ruaillaun,boat rocks in 2 mins later not 50 yards in front of us. :mad:
So we didnt finish out the drift and turned to fish down along the island to the south. Couldnt believe when the 2 lads followed and pulled in front again. :mad: :mad:
We just had to laugh and pulled off into Oughterard bay instead.
Why is it that all etiquette goes out the window once a few Mays appear? :whistle:

narras

pulling into other's drifts, anchoring, keeping small fish, exceeding the four fish limit, motoring around at high speed, leaving rubbish on the islands. those of us on the corrib for years have seen it all before. it always seems to be mayfly time though. come june all will be back to normal

the wulff

Fished Corrib at weekend, 2 days of and bright sunshine and very little wind, could even get a dap!!!. Fishing dreadful - I think the epoxy buzzer lads were even struggling. No May fly in Ballycurrin, Inishmacateer or Balynalty. Fairly good hatches in Greenfields an out at Noones Island. Hope to get down for a day later in the week change in weather badly needed !!!!

corribduffer

The weather for the rest of the week and into the weekend looks like it will be better (fishing wise).

Nothing worse than being out in the Corrib in May/June with Mayfly around and having a flat calm lake, on a sunny day, in the middle of the day. We were up a number of years ago and it was like a mirror. The water was so clear you could actually see the fish moving below the surface.

A nice day out but frustrating at the same time.

stylie

Plenty Mayfly up around Portacarron and the Bog, but blue skies and no wind made fishing really hard. The odd fish per boat, this weekend looks better weather wise.

Guest107

I was down at Inishmac late this afternoon, not fishing but farting about with the engine on my boat, and there was a decent wave on the water. I talked with 2 guys whom I know, who had just come off, and one of them said he had 3 decent fish on wets.

Another friend who lives adjacent to Ballynalty Bay was out earlier today, and although he didn't catch anything, reported a huge hatch of olives in Ballynalty Bay, with a few fish rising but he couldn't tempt a take with either dapping, wets or dries.

scanning up and down the lake, I counted 17 boats, but there might have been a few more in the area I was scanning, as there was a small armada parked up on one of the distant islands.

I must try and get out this week.

corribduffer

Anyone make it out over the weekend?

I was out for a few hours Saturday. There were a few mayfly about but didnt hear of any boats doing too well. A good few undersized fish were caught but nothing major.

We rose a few and had a few pulls but didnt boat any. Still though was great to get out!

black jungle

Yes,Myself and a mate were out the weekend,had 2 fish each day and put back back a lot of small fish,very few mayfly up,very cold in the northern wind..

scruffyharesear

Hi lads,

Heading to Corrib for the first time at the weekend. Just wondering what to expect in terms of fish numbers/ size and also what methods/ flies are working atm?

Guest107

I've recently bought 2 Shakespeare Agility fly rods, which I was very pleasantly surprised with. I bought a 10ft #5 and a 10ft #6 and I've just ordered a third. Another 10ft #5.

Do I really need another Shaky Agility 10ft #5? Yes I do, because my other one is laying peacefully underwater in Lough Corrib. :eek:mg:

I was fishing with my friend Mike, and although conditions looked pretty perfect for the entire 6 hours we were out, there was not a sign of a trout or fly to be seen. The only sport to be had was when Mike briefly changed to a sinking line and ended up with 3 perch on one cast.

Anyway I was chopping and changing between wets and dries and commented on how very much different the two shaky rods were to each other, with the #5 winning hands down over the #6 in terms of feel, lightness and casting ability.

Anyway it was game over and time to head home. There was a bit of a wind in the face on the way back and a decent wave, but the boat was hardly bouncing on full throttle. Then all of a sudden there was a bit of a bounce and a sudden whip of wind, and although both my rods were fully inboard laying flat with the reels resting in between the seat groins, the #5 tip lifted enough for the strong wind to catch it and it took off like a straw. I managed to touch it as it sailed past my head, but it was a mere kiss goodbye.

It was all over in a split second, and it landed about 20 yards behind the boat. I turned the boat immediately and about 2ft of the rod was sticking vertically out of the water. I headed straight for it but it disappeared.

Anyway, thank goodness it was a £33 rod and not one of my more expensive rods. :thumbs:

I should have the replacement in time for next weekend. :D

Actually, it's not in very deep water, so provided nobody else trawls it up in the meantime, I would have a good chance of locating it on a calm day, with the help of a glass bottomed tube. :confused:

Guest107

I've managed to borrow a bathyscope, so I'll be off rod hunting on Corrib sometime this week.

I'll be interested in getting a clear view of the bottom anyway, even if I don't find my rod. I hope to get some photos and maybe even spot a trout or two.

Here' hoping :thumbs:

mackiia1

I've managed to borrow a bathyscope, so I'll be off rod hunting on Corrib sometime this week.

I'll be interested in getting a clear view of the bottom anyway, even if I don't find my rod. I hope to get some photos and maybe even spot a trout or two.

Here' hoping :thumbs:

You may find more than one rod.

Guest107

You may find more than one rod.

You never know. Provided nobody's trawled mine up meanwhile, I'm pretty confident I'll find it. Thursday's the day I hope to find out. It's not in deep water. Probably not a lot deeper than my lost 10 ft rod.

Might even see where the fish are hiding this weather. :confused:

Mies

Any joy, Bill?

In the rather unlikely event that you happened to come across a Sage XP with an Ari T Hart attached, it more than likely belongs to my stumblebum boat partner. They parted company a couple of years ago during an ill-judged boating manoeuvre :eek:mg:

He still gets a somewhat wistful look in his eye when we venture into the general area. Fekkin' eejit :D

mackiia1

You never know. Provided nobody's trawled mine up meanwhile, I'm pretty confident I'll find it. Thursday's the day I hope to find out. It's not in deep water. Probably not a lot deeper than my lost 10 ft rod.

Might even see where the fish are hiding this weather. :confused:

Any sign of that big fish I lost last year ?:whistle: