Lough Corrib

Guest107

Any sign of that big fish I lost last year ?:whistle:

I'll have to let you know tomorrow. :D

Couldn't make it today and tomorrow is to be a bit calmer for the job in hand. We won't bbe spending too long looking for it as we want to fish.

Guest107

Any joy, Bill?

In the rather unlikely event that you happened to come across a Sage XP with an Ari T Hart attached, it more than likely belongs to my stumblebum boat partner. They parted company a couple of years ago during an ill-judged boating manoeuvre :eek:mg:

He still gets a somewhat wistful look in his eye when we venture into the general area. Fekkin' eejit :D

No luck in finding the rod. We think we found a rod and it could have been mine, but it was in the only deep hole in that area of Ballynalty Bay (>10ft) and we couldn't hook it up using a spinning rod and heavy toby spoon. Mike, my partner, could see what was almost certainly a rod lying flat on the bottom, using the bathyscope we borrowed. We flung out a weighted marker buoy to mark the spot and anchored the boat and spent about 2 hours without joy. On with the fishing.

I got one just over 1lb on a dark claret hopper with a copper body and Mike missed one, and that was it for the next 4 hours. We didn't see a single trout rise and only the occasional small sedge. We did stir up a salmon when we first motored into the bay, which jumped clean out of the water and it looked a bit coloured.

Mies

Ah well.. at least you had a go.

I can sympathise with the fishing. We had a day on the lake last Sunday and had only one fish similar size-wise to yours. A bit disappointing to say the least as the conditions were good with a nice wave and some reasonable sedge hatches. Still, it was better than Carra which we fished the previous day. Unbelieveably dour. Not a fish or fly to be seen the whole day. The weed growth on the lake appears to be getting worse every summer. Some previously productive drifts are now virtually unfishable. Not sure who or what is to blame (i have my suspicions) but it's a sad state of affairs.

brackwansha

Thanks for that Mies. It is certainly an interesting but worrying read. As usual it will probably be too late when something worthwhile is done about it.

An interesting article. I have been lucky enough to travel to a few places in the world but Carra is up there as one of the most stunning places you could want to be anywhere, never mind fish. I didn't see any trout and it was sad to hear the stories of past glories from some people who knew it well. In Irish terms Carra and the other great lakes are our equivalents of Yellowstone and the Serengeti. It's just a pity that so many don't fully cherish them and really give these places the protection they deserve for future generations.

raphael

I've discovered Carra last month in between two salmon session. It looks magic...

The friend who guided me, a retired man from IFI, is living by the lakeside and is quite disappointed about what's seems to go wrong here (specially about mayflies hatches becoming scarce and also after last year's poor results). Nevertheless he told me that some survey has been done last year and the trout population is still healthy. The insect life I had observed looks incredibly abundant with plenty dead spent, caenis, chironomids of miscellaneous size, sedge pupaes drifted to the banks.

That afternoon, we had a few fish, best to 2lbs, and a some days later he had one of 3.5 lbs on a large sedge I gave him...

johnW

No luck in finding the rod. We think we found a rod and it could have been mine, but it was in the only deep hole in that area of Ballynalty Bay (>10ft) and we couldn't hook it up using a spinning rod and heavy toby spoon. Mike, my partner, could see what was almost certainly a rod lying flat on the bottom, using the bathyscope we borrowed. We flung out a weighted marker buoy to mark the spot and anchored the boat and spent about 2 hours without joy. On with the fishing.

I got one just over 1lb on a dark claret hopper with a copper body and Mike missed one, and that was it for the next 4 hours. We didn't see a single trout rise and only the occasional small sedge. We did stir up a salmon when we first motored into the bay, which jumped clean out of the water and it looked a bit coloured.

Get someone to dive for it. I lost a Yamaha in peaty water and got a friend to dive for it and he had it back in an hour. Bottom was muddy and dark but he chanced on the tiller arm. A stroke of luck for me.

Guest107

Get someone to dive for it. I lost a Yamaha in peaty water and got a friend to dive for it and he had it back in an hour. Bottom was muddy and dark but he chanced on the tiller arm. A stroke of luck for me.

JohnW although it was a brand new rod and line and an old reel, it only cost around €100 including shipping and not worth troubling anyone to dive for.

I've already replaced it, but I'll have another go with trailing a heavy toby along the bottom on a calm day where we think it is. I had a go with a toby on the day we were looking and there are no obstructions on the bottom, only a bit of weed.

Thanks. :thumbs:

Guest107

Dreadful news heard today on local radio.

An empty fishing boat was located yesterday on Lough Corrib out from Oughterard, and it's been reported that a search is underway for the body of a local man in his 50's.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

black jungle

Hi Guys,Just to leet you all know the member started this tread Seanie had a misfortune last week,The shed at the rear of his house where he stored all his fishing gear,fly tying and all the rest of his gear caught fire,He unfortunately lost everything.Sean is a sound guy,My sympathy goes to him.

paddy5

Oh jesus, really sorry to hear this, having been in that shed and having been the recipient of Seans genorosity with his amazing collection of capes and material can only imagine how gutted he is, an ireplaceable collection I would have thought.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Guest107

Lough Corrib Season Finished

Season finished yesterday, but I didn't bother going out. But it was beautiful morning today so we went for a walk and the lake looked stunning. Roll on next season. :thumbs:

Corrib 1st October 2016 (click image to expand)

jemo

Re: Lough Corrib Season Finished

..the Carraigh shore ...what a beautiful place...as you say Alderman roll on next year, hear hear.

Guest107

..the Carraigh shore ...what a beautiful place...as you say Alderman roll on next year, hear hear.

Spot on Jemo. A beautiful place indeed and I'm looking forward to next season.

I'm just back from taking all the bits and pieces off my boat, and pumped out yet another load of rainwater, ready to bring it home in a couple of days.

This is the first week in May this year. Same again next year please. :thumbs:

click to enlarge

mackiia1

Spot on Jemo. A beautiful place indeed and I'm looking forward to next season.

I'm just back from taking all the bits and pieces off my boat, and pumped out yet another load of rainwater, ready to bring it home in a couple of days.

This is the first week in May this year. Same again next year please. :thumbs:

click to enlarge

Just hopefully less sunshine next year Bill

Guest107

Just hopefully less sunshine next year Bill

Yes you're, right less sunshine in May hopefully. I was talking to another Corrib angler in Tesco's car park Ballinrobe this morning and he was talking about the lake being "flat" in May this year.

Anyway, you won't have that problem soon enough when you're away on your UK trip to "shoot fish in a barrel" :D

mackiia1

Anyway, you won't have that problem soon enough when you're away on your UK trip to "shoot fish in a barrel" :D

Yeah , flying over next Thursday :D
I need a bit of a 'pick me up' after the year I've had - should be a bit of fun.
Really looking forward to it to be honest - Draycote is fishing well I hear.

jemo

Ventured out on Corrib last sunday, south west wind but blowy, had 2 fish best i.75lb...nice to live to start a new season!!!....roll on the duck fly which should be earlier this year in view of the mild winter