Lough Corrib

brackwansha

Great to hear of some early action:thumbs:. The mild weather might mean the fly life is a bit earlier alright.

jefski1

Fished out of Oughterard on many occasions during the months of April and May but will be having a family holiday based in Cong early June would like some advice if May fly patterns are still effective at this time of year. Any information would me very much appreciated.

goldenolive

I have found the following good dry flies if there are mayflies about.
Dennis moss ginger mayfly in a size 10, even works fishing on the blind.

small pink mosley mayfly

corrib wulff

grey wulff

for wet flies

wet muddler mayfly for the top dropper.

if you like tying,
A mcphail mayfly fished we on the point is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=251KPSmMixk
a small claret dabbler on the point is also very effective.

black jungle

Hi Jefski,The advice you got from GoldenOlive is spot on,The MacPhails wet may worked very well for me for the past few years,The Lough Arrow May always works,If you are staying in the Oughterard area call to see Tom in the tackle shop,He is sound for up to date info.
Regards,Bj.

jefski1

Cheers guys my first port of call has always been Tom before I even wet a fly, but nice to fill the fly box with patterns other people are confident in who have fished at this time of year.

the wulff

Would any one have a contact number for anyone doing boat hire ideally Ballycurrin but greenfeilds or Inismacateer would be Ok

the wulff

Thanks for that - I was going to go up for the weekend buts its too cold !!!!! Despite reports fishing is very slow - I have a few mates down there over the last few week ends

Greenpeter

I'm beginning to doubt my own memory these days..I was having a discussion about boat craft and safety with my 17 yr old reckless son when he doubted the dangers of the lakes. I was able to recall recent tragedies in Erne Mask and Conn for him but can anyone remember a sad incident at islanddeady or one of those lakes several years back when two fishermen were killed. I seem to remember they from the north and there was something odd about it as the weather was very calm?

FunkyFlyTying

Off to Corrib for the first time ever on the 11th May.
Really looking forward to it.
I assume Olives will still be around and the Mayfly would of started.
Anyone got any must have patterns to take they would be willing to share.
Was thinking of using a 6wt for the dries is that going to be ok for the short lining?

mackiia1

Off to Corrib for the first time ever on the 11th May.
Really looking forward to it.
I assume Olives will still be around and the Mayfly would of started.
Anyone got any must have patterns to take they would be willing to share.
Was thinking of using a 6wt for the dries is that going to be ok for the short lining?

Mayfly should be up by then and there will be Olives too - depends where on the Lough you will be fishing. The lower Lough will be mostly Olives while the Mayfly is normally from the middle Lough northwards. Its just a case of finding the fly - which on a Lough of 44,000 acres is simple;):whistle:
Most dry patterns will catch but I find a Grey Wulff hard to beat - Green Wulffs will work too - A slim body Yellow Humpy is good in a big wave.
Don't forget to bring Buzzers - if you are faced with a flat calm and sunshine ( like most of last year) then it will be all you can do.
Dabblers in Green , Yellow and Claret and a Red Ar5e Green Peter will work if you want to pull wets in a big wave.
To be honest - if you asked 10 different anglers what they are catching on , you will get 10 different answers.
A 6wt will be fine although I use a 5wt myself .

Where are you staying -are you going it alone or have you a guide - Corrib is not for the faint hearted in a big wave - especially as its your first time there.

cmcf

I always use a 6wt when fishing dry mayfly better with the bigger flies. Mayfly will be well up in fact I would expect you will be getting the tail end of it I expect the first hatches this week. The winter was very mild and everything is really early early olives where up Apr 2nd and will have petered out by mid May. It all really depends on weather if it stays cool Mayfly will go on for a month. Late in the Mayfly I wouldn't fish wets the fish are to selective olive or grey wulff nothing flashy. Tie them with both a full hackle and clipped at the bottom. In a big blow fish the full hackles fly. On the lighter breeze the clipped fly. If the fishing is really tough then dap a natural with a light rod 11ft fly rod is fine. There will be Buzzer fishing as well but you need to know where to go. Where are you fishing from?

the wulff

Octupus needs to be commended for posting the report up, its a sobering read

Heading over on Sunday hopefully there will be a few Olives around

jefski1

Please shoot me down with your superior local and experienced knowledge but have fished in late June and September and never have I had the size of fish that I have during Mayfly time. Don't get me wrong my buzz is the rise or tightening of the line but I was wondering do the larger fish move into deeper water as the fly life dominances.