Lough Corrib

stylie

My biggest on fly are all August/September.
Towards the end of May the fry start showing up. Trout by this stage have been gorging for 2 solid months on fly life and they start getting finicky and wising up. June switch to ceanis and sedge fishing, late July back to office hours fishing and dapping hoppers and daddy's and you will see the big fish are still there.

cmcf

I love the lake from July on not busy and fish not spooked by people motoring up and down the bays. Best bags I have had are August and September. July can have good mayfly.

mattcullen

Folks, I hope to get out and fish either Corrib or Sheelin during the mayfly this year. I'm using a 7 weight. The tippet material I have is quite heavy - 7lb fulling mills fluoro which is .235 in diameter. Is this too thick do you think?

mackiia1

Folks, I hope to get out and fish either Corrib or Sheelin during the mayfly this year. I'm using a 7 weight. The tippet material I have is quite heavy - 7lb fulling mills fluoro which is .235 in diameter. Is this too thick do you think?

Depends on what type of fishing you will be doing.
Pulling wets in a big wave and you will get away with it.
If you are fishing dries it will be far too heavy - better to use something in the region of 0.18 or 0.16 , again depending on wind and wave.
I have used 0.14 in near calm conditions.

A 7wt isn't the ideal tool for fishing dries.

mattcullen

Depends on what type of fishing you will be doing.
Pulling wets in a big wave and you will get away with it.
If you are fishing dries it will be far too heavy - better to use something in the region of 0.18 or 0.16 , again depending on wind and wave.
I have used 0.14 in near calm conditions.

A 7wt isn't the ideal tool for fishing dries.

Cheers for that, yeah and it's probably not ideal for wets either as it's only 9ft. I've a 8ft 6 5 weight too I got for river fishing. Maybe on balance that would be better for the dries?

mackiia1

Cheers for that, yeah and it's probably not ideal for wets either as it's only 9ft. I've a 8ft 6 5 weight too I got for river fishing. Maybe on balance that would be better for the dries?

If you can get your hands on a medium action 10ft 6wt you will have both options covered.
I would use the 5wt instead of the 7wt for the dries - even if its a bit on the short side.

JJ O Malley

Was out last Friday and didn't see a mayfly till I carried my fishing bag into the house at the end of the day, and there was one sitting on the bag. Funny that we drifted for miles without seeing one and finally I see one in the house. Seen several the past few days outside the house which is right on the lake so I guess the madness is about to commence..

Ps. Fish were rising steady to Olives but couldn't tempt one. Back to the drawing board with my dry olives me thinks.. 😭😭

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mackiia1

Was out last Friday and didn't see a mayfly till I carried my fishing bag into the house at the end of the day, and there was one sitting on the bag. Funny that we drifted for miles without seeing one and finally I see one in the house. Seen several the past few days outside the house which is right on the lake so I guess the madness is about to commence..

Ps. Fish were rising steady to Olives but couldn't tempt one. Back to the drawing board with my dry olives me thinks.. ����

JJ
Olive fishing can be a head wrecker at times.:D
Myself and a friend were fishing a stocked lake last week near Waterford ( couldn't go to Corrib :eek:mg:) - We witnessed the biggest hatch of Lake Olives I have seen in years - fish going everywhere. We were picking up a few fish on the dry Olive patterns we use on Corrib , but we felt we should be getting more interest. Chopped and changed with the same results until my buddy put up a fly which looked more like an Iron Blue than an Olive.(Colourwise )
Hook - 16
Tail - Black Cock Hackles
Body - Canada Goose
Hackle - Dark Blue Dun

They absolutely hammered it - every time. Had about 25 to the boat and lost a good few each too.
I know they were Rainbows- but something to consider on Corrib maybe.

PS - don't leave it too late to tell me when the Mayfly is up proper.

Last edited:

mattcullen

If you can get your hands on a medium action 10ft 6wt you will have both options covered.
I would use the 5wt instead of the 7wt for the dries - even if its a bit on the short side.

Cheers for the PM by the way. Replied to it and the icon shows as 'replied to' but there's nothing in my sent items so hopefully you got it.

the wulff

On Corrib yesterday - bright sunny and calm, there was a few olives even less mayfly, some trout showing at surface I rekon the were taking Buzzers from the surface, for those fishing Mayfly Id hold tight for another week

Greenpeter

Sunshine and East winds..............par for the course these days.

Has anyone had any reports from Conn??? Im due to go sunbathing there towards the end of the month

cax

Sunshine and East winds..............par for the course these days.

Has anyone had any reports from Conn??? Im due to go sunbathing there towards the end of the month
Sun and wind are a nightmare.

jemo

..spent the last 2 days on the Corrib, the east wind had a huge fetch at Durrus, big rollers, should have gone east to Salthouse, had one nice fish for 2 rod days, pi$$ poor, but then it was warmer than Spain on tuesday. There is no nicer place than Durrus at this time of year!!!

cmcf

On Corrib yesterday - bright sunny and calm, there was a few olives even less mayfly, some trout showing at surface I rekon the were taking Buzzers from the surface, for those fishing Mayfly Id hold tight for another week

Mayfly hatch should be well up at this stage with the warm spring. The hatches are just poor again this year but the fish will take Mayfly patterns if weather is right.

stylie

Friends are fishing this week, lots of Mayfly coming up around Oughterard till well into the evening. Trout are breaching, very few taking the fly but this bright Sun will do that.
4lb+ on buzzer and 5lb+ on wets that one time the wind blew, and one or two small fish sounds good but thats for 12 rod days.
Weather needs to break